PDA

View Full Version : boolit casing for powder measure

RhodeHunter
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
My friend wants to shoot his 1851 Navy .36 for the first time this weekend, but he is having trouble with the various powder measures he has, going down as low as 10-15 grains of FFFG.

There's usually a lot of empty casings at the range, and we were wondering which casing we could use to measure that many grains. Has anyone every done a chart of how much different casings hold when they're filled to the rim with BP?

Or just forget the chart..what's your experience?

I was hoping he'd spring the $$ for the colt powder flask and get the right size tube spout for it, but alas he must have other plans for his $$.

RhodeHunter
02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Just found this on another forum:

.22 LR = 5
.320 ACP = 7
.380 ACP = 10
.30 cal Carbine = 20
.38 Special = 23
.357 Mag = 27
.45 Auto = 26
.44 Colt = 35
.45 Colt = 41
.38-40 = 40
.45-70 = 83

9mm – 13.3
40 S&W – 19.3

02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Just gather up a variety of likely candidates, fill each with BP, weigh the results, trim a little off the best candidate case, if needed, to throw the desired charge. (I wouldn't think a 50 BMG case would be a likely candidate :))

RhodeHunter
02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Just gather up a variety of likely candidates, fill each with BP, weigh the results, trim a little off the best candidate case, if needed, to throw the desired charge. (I wouldn't think a 50 BMG case would be a likely candidate :))

I don't have any reloading equip. including scale. Borrowed somebody's jewelry scale once to measure the cast REAL 320 grains. But thanks anyways.

Milsurp Junkie
02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Since black powder is measured by volume, not weight unless you know the density of the powder it is going to be a bear to try the method that 405 laid out.

Adjustable black powder measures are cheap (~$20) or so. You could use that to verify what the above case volumes are with that. If I were you, I would use either the 38 special or 357 mag casing (cheap, easy to find, and in your desired range of 20-25 grains BP), and trim that down. Heck you could knock the primer out, drill and tap it, and create an adjustable powder measure. Just ideas...I know the weekend is coming up soon...

Boerrancher
02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Traditions makes an adjustable powder measure for pistols that goes from 0 to 30 grains in 1 grain increments. I have the little powder measure and my flask has a 20 grain spout on it. I shoot 20 grains out of my 1861 Navy, but have used the powder measure from time to time to play with lighter loads. I also use the measure for my 32 cal rifle. The chart posted above seems to be pretty close to what I have come up with as far as using empty cartridges for measures.

Best wishes,

Joe

stubshaft
02-16-2012, 07:01 PM
DGW used to have a chart in the back with the capacities of most cases. I'll see if I can find an old one and print a pic.

Fly
02-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Thats a cool chart.I weigh all my powder on a cheap Lee beam scale.Then put the powder
in viles.Then when you go shoot, just pour it in from the viles.I use a WW11 ammo belt
& put the viles in it like bullets.

You see, Stick with me & you will be wearing jewels (WINK)
Fly

mooman76
02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
DGW used to have a chart in the back with the capacities of most cases. I'll see if I can find an old one and print a pic.

They still do and also have allot of other interesting things in their catalog.

Omnivore
02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Since black powder is measured by volume, not weight...

Black powder substitutes are measured by volume, with black powder as the standard.

Multiple, long threads have been written on this, but it's just that simple.

With the substitues, you're substituting with an equal volume of black. Hence black powder, ultimately, is measured by weight even though we use volumetric dispensers in the field because it's easier than bringing a scale.

Anyhow, comparing the several commercial BP measures I have, I find that they don't agree with each other all that well. Weighing, assuming you're in fact using actual black powder, is the best way to know what your measure is actually throwing.

I have cases from several calibers, and a scale, so I'll take some measurements and see if they agree with the above chart. I'm curious anyway.

One good thing about black powder, as opposed to smokeless, it that a small variance from a published load isn't going to make a huge difference, so we have room for a few grains' error.

Maybe that's where the confusion comes from-- the substitution, is an approximation, similar to the "dram equivalent" figures still used on shotgun shells (though those represent the approximate velocity that would be delivered by that number of drams (mass) of black powder).

Fly
02-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Black powder substitutes are measured by volume, with black powder as the standard.

Multiple, long threads have been written on this, but it's just that simple.

With the substitues, you're substituting with an equal volume of black. Hence black powder, ultimately, is measured by weight even though we use volumetric dispensers in the field because it's easier than bringing a scale.

Anyhow, comparing the several commercial BP measures I have, I find that they don't agree with each other all that well. Weighing, assuming you're in fact using actual black powder, is the best way to know what your measure is actually throwing.

I have cases from several calibers, and a scale, so I'll take some measurements and see if they agree with the above chart. I'm curious anyway.

One good thing about black powder, as opposed to smokeless, it that a small variance from a published load isn't going to make a huge difference, so we have room for a few grains' error.

Maybe that's where the confusion comes from-- the substitution, is an approximation, similar to the "dram equivalent" figures still used on shotgun shells (though those represent the approximate velocity that would be delivered by that number of drams (mass) of black powder).

Well I agree with all above.But I do it for easy loading more than anything.
Plus being I make my own black powder I know for sure how much I'm burning.

Fly:coffee:

DIRT Farmer
02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Snatch up one of the clear plastic T C mesures at the local Wally mart that most have on close out now. They are "close enough" for playing around and shot gun work. For target buy a case, work up the load for that lot number and weigh the charges.

DIRT Farmer
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Or in some of your work, make up a lot. I will have to try again some day.