PDA

View Full Version : Rockchucker Failure

Sasquatch-1
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I was attempting to swage a bullet today and it happened. My Rockchucker failed. snapped one of the connecting links where the pin goes through. Contacted RCBS and they gave me the option of sending it in and getting a new press orthem sending me the part. I opted for the part. It appears that the links are made of a cast and not a forged metal. Pics attached. Brand new press too. Got for Christmas.

mstarling
02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
WOW ...

Have used a Rockchucker for more than 40 years without a failure. You must have REALLY honked on it, or the new parts are not the same strength of the old ones.

Sasquatch-1
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
WOW ...

Have used a Rockchucker for more than 40 years without a failure. You must have REALLY honked on it, or the new parts are not the same strength of the old ones.

This is one of the new RC4's. If you look at the third picture you can see it is not forged but appears to be a cast of some sort.

40Super
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I must say,this is the first "breakage" of this sort that I've seen with the RC,or really any brand. Other than the drive hub on certain LNL's.
Remember Sasquatches do have quite a bit more strength than humans,so it probably could happen to any of them.

Reload3006
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Cast Iron is unbelievably strong. Have to get out my books to give you the tensile strength But cast iron is very fragile I would bet that it was dropped either in shipment or manufacture not pulled apart by even a Sasquatch LOL

FrankG
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Are the RC's cast steel or cast iron ?

At any rate I think I would make some new arms from carbon steel stock for swaging.

Longwood
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Me too-!
It sure would not cost very much.

Are the RC's cast steel or cast iron ?

At any rate I think I would make some new arms from carbon steel stock for swaging.

M-Tecs
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Cast Iron is unbelievably strong. Have to get out my books to give you the tensile strength But cast iron is very fragile I would bet that it was dropped either in shipment or manufacture not pulled apart by even a Sasquatch LOL

I disagree. Depending on the type of cast iron the tensile strength of cast iron is about half that of mild steel. http://www.eformulae.com/engineering/tensile.php

Cast iron is brittle and has a low tensile strength compared to mild steel or cast steel. The early RCBS A2 presses are cast steel. RCBS figured out that was overkill for most applications and switched to cast iron on the later A2 presses.

Cast iron is cheap and it’s adequate for most press applications but it is not unbelievably strong even compared to mild steel.

Jailer
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
I did the same thing in almost the exact same spot on my Classic Cast press swaging bullets.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/Brokenpress.jpg

Longwood
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Give me a long enough lever and I will move the world.
Or break anything made with cast or sintered metal!

02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I disagree. Depending on the type of cast iron the tensile strength of cast iron is about half that of mild steel. http://www.eformulae.com/engineering/tensile.php

Cast iron is brittle and has a low tensile strength compared to mild steel or cast steel. The early RCBS A2 presses are cast steel. RCBS figured out that was overkill for most applications and switched to cast iron on the later A2 presses.

Cast iron is cheap and it’s adequate for most press applications but it is not unbelievably strong even compared to mild steel.

I agree. While the mild steel likely won't fracture if exposed to repeated stress it may however bend or distort. I do have an earlier Rockchucker- probably of the stronger variety. Funny that the comparable Reddings, while they may not break the castings, will break the link pins if stressed pretty hard. Also, probably true that most of this stuff is made to a "Normal Usage" standard- I'd guess more true today than in years past.

That's why for my bullet swaging I "bit the bullet" and bought a dedicated arbor press designed for swaging and only use the RELOADING press for reloading- even though it is the earlier, stronger model. In the long run doing that may have saved $ and for certain saved frustration.

1hole
02-16-2012, 05:40 PM
No conventional press is made for bullet swaging. I've always gotten a chuckle at those who loudly tout the RC as unbreakable; NOTHING is fool proof to a suficently determined misuser.

LUBEDUDE
02-16-2012, 07:02 PM
That is disappointing, but not surprising this day and age.

Sorry, man.

LUBEDUDE
02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
remember sasquatches do have quite a bit more strength than humans,so it probably could happen to any of them.

lmao!

williamwaco
02-16-2012, 07:09 PM
That is REALLY SAD.

I am afraid it signals the end of an era.

I honestly believe you couldn't break my 1960s model Rockchucker with a D6 Cat.

Reload3006
02-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Either someone doesn't know how to read or speak English or are inserting words. I sure dont see where I said cast Iron was stronger than steel. I said it was strong. and I stand by what I said. cast is fragile and is bad about fracturing. But I would like to see even one man alive that can pull it apart. its tensile strength is more than sufficient for any operation even swaging It however is not a good material to handle shock loads.

LUBEDUDE
02-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Either someone doesn't know how to read or speak English or are inserting words. I sure dont see where I said cast Iron was stronger than steel. I said it was strong. and I stand by what I said. cast is fragile and is bad about fracturing. But I would like to see even one man alive that can pull it apart. its tensile strength is more than sufficient for any operation even swaging It however is not a good material to handle shock loads.

I agree with you about the tensile strength.
And I am not going to argue with any engineer types. However, it appears that vector forces are more than just pulling on the links like pulling taffy. There are downward stressors as well. Proven by the breakage.

Even the mighty Blue's castings break down at the pivot areas as well. Not uncommon with SDB's and 550's.

beanflip
02-17-2012, 12:25 AM
wonder if the other side maybe stressed ?

Longwood
02-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Ordinary low carbon steel has about twice the tensile strength of grey (cast) iron.
Cast iron comes with millions of built in pre-cracks. caused by graphite.

MBTcustom
02-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Even the mighty Blue's castings break down at the pivot areas as well
I heard that "the mighty blue" casts their presses out of magnesium.
As to the OP, wow just wow. I never thought I would see the day. Being that I am the self sufficient do-it-myself type, I would remake those arms out of steel. However, If you arent set up for that, RCBS should make it right by you. Their CS department is spoken of in hushed and reverent tones.
If they tell you you are SOL because of abuse etc. etc. PM me. I'm a machinist and I can certainly hook you up with a new arm.

SquirrelHollow
02-17-2012, 02:21 AM
I heard that "the mighty blue" casts their presses out of magnesium.

It's a specialized alloy, but Aluminum, none-the-less. And, the alloy for the link arms and cams/cranks (whatever they call them) is different than the alloy for the body of the presses.

runfiverun
02-17-2012, 03:19 AM
hmm that's some serious cranking on the handle.
i have ripped my rc and my hornady riight off the bench when swaging but have never broken either one.
i use the rc2 for core seating but that's it.
maybe i'll go back to the flimsy [two 1/2" pressboards faced with melamine and a 1/2" piece of plywood under them] mounting i had before,another top on the bench is cheaper than a new rc.

Sonnypie
02-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm curious....
Did you tell RCBS that you were swaging with the press?

Or did you forget to mention that?[smilie=1:

Sasquatch-1
02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm curious....
Did you tell RCBS that you were swaging with the press?

Or did you forget to mention that?[smilie=1:

Don't ask, don't tell!

They didn't, ask I didn't tell.

I just told them that I broke a connecting link and the guy asked if I wanted to try the repair myself or send it to them to be replace. He said since it was a Christmas present that I might even be able to get the shipping reimbursed.

Beau Cassidy
02-17-2012, 10:05 PM
I hope I never break my Big Max presses like that!

akajun
02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
all the more reason to buy a ch Champion press, its lever arms are machined, heat treated steel. The only thing cast is the frame.

Ickisrulz
02-17-2012, 11:20 PM
all the more reason to buy a ch Champion press, its lever arms are machined, heat treated steel. The only thing cast is the frame.

...and it's cast steel not cast iron. I'm not sure what that means, but I think it's better.

Sasquatch-1
02-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Is anyone familiar with the Skinner Press?

Ickisrulz
02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Skinner Press?

Never heard of them until now....

http://www.skinnerpress.com/

Montana Ron
02-18-2012, 02:37 PM
What's the BLA BLA BLA................make one phone call and ship it back.....they will fix it ......they honor their customer and have had great customer service for 37 years that I have dealt with them......even if it was abused..............that's the problem with this country....snivel and do nothing about anything..............move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ickisrulz
02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
What's the BLA BLA BLA................make one phone call and ship it back.....they will fix it ......they honor their customer and have had great customer service for 37 years that I have dealt with them......even if it was abused..............that's the problem with this country....snivel and do nothing about anything..............move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you read the first post? The OP got the part sent for free.

jmorris
02-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Give me a long enough lever and I will move the world.

Or break anything made with cast or sintered metal!

And that quote my friend, is a keeper.

LUBEDUDE
02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Never heard of them until now....

http://www.skinnerpress.com/

They make some good looking peep sights and take down rifle cases too.

Sonnypie
02-18-2012, 05:16 PM
So Montana Ron,
If I decide to abuse my car, run it into a tree say,
I should expect the dealer/manufacturer to replace or fix it?
(Regardless of age) :veryconfu

Ickisrulz
02-18-2012, 05:57 PM
So Montana Ron,

Is swaging with a RC abuse? Lots of people do it. Do the instructions say not to?

BT Sniper
02-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Interesting thread.

I might consider myself the self proclaimed expert on distructive testing on reloading presses.

I have broke them all and just resently had some replaced. I'll fill you all in on my findings in a little while. Got to go get lunch for the wife.

BT

UNIQUEDOT
02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
So Montana Ron,

Swaging is not abuse when doing so with a RC. RCBS states that the press can swage bullets, or they used to. I saw a few posts where folks have mentioned making them from steel, but a CC was shown in this thread with a link having the same break and those links are not only steel links, but they are machined (probably machined castings though) and bigger than the rc links. I don't think the materials are the cause, but rather defects in the materials. Put the new link on and swage away!

22Short
02-18-2012, 06:35 PM
R.C.B.S. = Rock Chuck Bullet Swage!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Part was probably cast in China, then machined, painted and assembled in California. Oh what a feeling, Chinola.

Ickisrulz
02-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Per the RC Supreme manual:

"INTRODUCTION
The Rock Chucker Supreme Press has been designed specifically for heavy-duty reloading, case forming, and bullet swaging."

Well...there it is.

BT Sniper
02-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Here is a thought. Over the years since the begining of RCBS when they started offering their swage/reloading press the demand for swaging bullets probably decreased dramiticaly as more commercial bullets where offered and available. So with not as many customers swaging bullets any more and strickly using the press for reloading why not design it cheaper with cast linkages rather then machined steel? Atleast that is my opinion of what a major manufactures might do.

I suggest with the resent increase in swaging intrest we send RCBS every broken linkage and press and tell then EXACTLY how it broke with hope that they will actually make a stronger press again that can withstand the process of their namesake for which they where founded, RCBSwage!

I had an earlier model RCBS RC press from probably 80's ventage I picked up used. It had a much better linkage system then the current version and the linkages looked to be machined steel rather then cast. The linkage and entire press always felt strong and secure to me. The press was completely stock and after about 2-4K worth of making 40 cal swaged bullets the frame gave and broke. Not the handle, not the linkage system but the frame! I sent it back a couple weeks ago and told them that I was swaging 40 cal bullets and felt the press should not have broke. They replaced it no questions asked with the latest version though, I kept the linkages! I was impressed with their customer service but feel the quality of there press is slipping. Like I said, maybe if all us swagers break enough of them, threw normal use of course not abuse, maybe RCBS will design a stronger press.

Obviously I'm sure there are design week spots in any press now days that will break before an expensive die does or the press frame. Most of the time it is the handel conection or these links that we see break. replacing them with better components is not difficult but if you eleminate all the week links eventually it is the press frame or your dies internial parts that will start to ware and give out. I've seen it in the stock CH swage die's internials. Seems everyone designs week points now days. To bad they just don't design stonger components instead.

Swage On!

BT

Jailer
02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Swaging is not abuse when doing so with a RC. RCBS states that the press can swage bullets, or they used to. I saw a few posts where folks have mentioned making them from steel, but a CC was shown in this thread with a link having the same break and those links are not only steel links, but they are machined (probably machined castings though) and bigger than the rc links. I don't think the materials are the cause, but rather defects in the materials. Put the new link on and swage away!

When I took the link out and examined it, it's definitely a sintered metal part. I'm sure you could make a stronger piece but that would just lead to the failure of the next weakest link. Eventually I'd like to get a deticated swage press but the funds just don't allow it at this time. Until then, I'll keep abusing my CC and replacing the links when they break. As many bullets as I get for a broken link this press doesn't owe me anything.

And BTW Montana Ron, your negative comments aren't helping this thread any. I didn't complain to anyone about my breakage I just purchased a replacement. I broke so I fixed it.

02-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, most of the press failures reported seem to point toward exceeding normal use design. Two things about human nature- 1) Always go cheap first and see if it works. 2) Extrapolate and filter information to fit a pre-conceived idea.

Some of this idea that RCBS presses are swaging presses may have been started by RCBS itself. Name the tool & company after "Rock Chuck Bullet Swage". Then a little detail is left out (filtered out) through the years. The original RCBS press used for swaging was for very light duty swaging of 22 caliber bullets and using 22 rimfire cases for jackets. :)

Char-Gar
02-19-2012, 01:56 PM
A couple of thought on the subject at hand;

1. This is the first RC I have ever heard of breaking.
2. From time to time, cast iron will contain flaws and gave way. I suspect that is what happened here.
3. I would make a couple of links for that press from steel and forgo the factory replacement.
4. I used my RC for 20 years with zero problems, but sold it and bought a 50's vintage RCBS A2 that is made from cast steel. It is only slightly larger than the RC, but it won't break and is as slick as snot on a glass door knob.
5. I broke an old Pacific C press some years back by sizing GI 30-06 cases down to 257 Roberts by using a four foot cheater extension on the press handle. Snapped the C off from the base.

Rick459
02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
well was sizing some .45acp cases and i felt something draging when sizing the cases looked down to see what was going on and noticed that the pivot pin that goes through the ram on the right side was starting to come out and was scrapping on the press linkage. so i pulled the pin out and it came out in two pieces. it's supposed to be one piece. guess i'll be calling RCBS tomorrow. just hope they don't send me another chinese made pin. this is on a RCBC RockChucker Supreme press
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture335.jpg

Longwood
02-20-2012, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=Rick459;1599726 the pivot pin that goes through the ram on the right side was starting to come out and was scrapping on the press linkage. so i pulled the pin out and it came out in two pieces. [/QUOTE]

It looks like shear pins I have seen on machines before.
It looks to me like it may be designed to break before the more expensive to make parts.

Rick459
02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Longwood,
if you look at the bottom of the ram you will see a allen set screw. the set screw is used to keep the pivot pin from coming out of the linkage and the ram. they cut away some of the pin so the set screw can sit in the slot. my RC II uses e-clips to retain the pin. they should go back to the RC II design so as to keep the pin thicker in the center.
Rick

Longwood
02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Longwood,
if you look at the bottom of the ram you will see a allen set screw. the set screw is used to keep the pivot pin from coming out of the linkage and the ram. they cut away some of the pin so the set screw can sit in the slot. my RC II uses e-clips to retain the pin. they should go back to the RC II design so as to keep the pin thicker in the center.
Rick

They could have made the pin with a small indentation or hole for the set screw and the pin would be much stronger.
I am sticking with my shear pin theory.
ASk them when you contact them.

Sasquatch-1
02-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Longwood,
Rick

I'm sure the reason for the groove is for easier line-up when assembling the press. It would be a lot harder to find a small indentation on the pin as opposed to a groove.

Reload3006
02-21-2012, 08:34 AM
You can break a D9 Cat if you try hard enough. Personally I would much rather replace the lincs and pins before the body. The body is cast Iron too. and if the linc hadn't failed the clevis on the press probably would have. Cast Iron is more than strong enough for normal swaging operations but they really didn't have that in mind for turning cartridge cases into jackets for boolits. Yes you can do it but it takes a lot more pressure than swaging a lead or copper 1/2-3/4 jacketed boolit. If you are trying to use Wheel weights and other alloys you may keep breaking your press. Its your tools your time but you may want to consider pure lead only.

3006guns
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Rule of truth: cast iron (or cast steel) has tremendous strenth under compression but much less under tension. It will stand massive compression forces which is why it's used in the construction of machine tool beds. But make a chain out of cast and the links will break quickly under a tension load.

The Rock Chucker linkage arms are made of a good quality cast iron but are under tension. You could fabricate new arms from ordinary mild steel (with bronze bushings) and have much greater strength, but now you're gambling that the REST of the press will take the strain. Remember, it's cast too!

The original Herters presses were massive affairs but back during the swaging craze in the early sixties many of them had the top of the frame snapped clean off. Herters response was to change the casting, using two reinforcing webs near the head and offer a steel bar setup that fastened in place of the priming arm making the C frame into an O frame and more ridgid. I have both types of presses in my stuff.

Rick459
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Reload3006,
i don't use my RockChucker Supreme for swaging. i use my RC II. i was sizing .45 acp cases when the pin broke. i just got off the phone with RCBS and they are sending me a new pin. i mentioned that they should go to the same design on the pin as the RC II uses, they just said that they have been making the pins like this for the past ten years and that my breakage was the first. when i asked if the pin was designed like it is as a shear point they said no it wasn't. i was thinking about switching preses from the RC II and using the RC Supreme for swaging but after this pin breakage i think i'll stick with the RC II until i can afford a press made for swageing.
Rick

Char-Gar
02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Rick.. If you want a press for swaging hunt up an old RCBS A2. These are cast steel and much, much stronger that the RC. Custom bullet swagers used them back in the day. Be certain and get one with the bushing in the die hole. The last year or so of production RCBS changed from steel to iron and when they did, they eliminated the bushing.

I have seen these A2 go from $175 to $225 on the used market.

Ickisrulz
02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Rick.. If you want a press for swaging hunt up an old RCBS A2. These are cast steel and much, much stronger that the RC. Custom bullet swagers used them back in the day. Be certain and get one with the bushing in the die hole. The last year or so of production RCBS changed from steel to iron and when they did, they eliminated the bushing.

CH4D's Champion press is made for swaging also. It's made from cast steel and has a very large ram.

Rick459
02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Char-Gar and Ickisrulz... thank you both for that information.
Rick

TNsailorman
02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
I have never used the C-H Champion press but the one's I have seen are massive suckers. I think even a gorilla would have a hard time breaking them. The Champion was designed for swaging, period. Anything can break given the right circumstances. I even had a model 98 mauser recoil bolt/lug break one time. It had an obvious flaw in it. Where it broke, the metal had been broken for some time because it had turned very dark as time passed. Where the new break was, the metal was very bright. Must have been a flawed piece of steel from the get go. James

M-Tecs
02-21-2012, 01:31 PM

I agree 100% about the A2's. I have two. Current Ebay prices are $350 to $460:groner:

M-Tecs
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
BT Sniper is offering 10% off on CH products http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1600404#post1600404

Best price you will find on the CH Champion press

UNIQUEDOT
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
When I took the link out and examined it, it's definitely a sintered metal part. I'm sure you could make a stronger piece but that would just lead to the failure of the next weakest link. Eventually I'd like to get a deticated swage press but the funds just don't allow it at this time. Until then, I'll keep abusing my CC and replacing the links when they break. As many bullets as I get for a broken link this press doesn't owe me anything.

And BTW Montana Ron, your negative comments aren't helping this thread any. I didn't complain to anyone about my breakage I just purchased a replacement. I broke so I fixed it.

I swaged a good many a bullets with my CC a few years ago and didn't have any problems, but i soon decided it was just too much work and decided to stick to casting them. If i were in the market for an o frame press to swage bullets it would definitely be the C&H.

UNIQUEDOT
02-21-2012, 03:25 PM
1. This is the first RC I have ever heard of breaking.

I have read about the older presses actually breaking the frame due to the strength of the compound leverage. Perhaps the links are intentionally made weaker to prevent breaking the frame on the newer presses.

Reload3006
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
If I hadn't done it I would not know what I am about to tell you. I bought a Walnut hill swaging press and you would not believe the power that press has. Even if I could get one of the old monster RockChuckers I dont think it would. I Have Dr. Blackmons conversion for my 1" ram RockChucker. not sure but think i got it in the late seventies. still it is cast iron it has done a great job with Blackmon Dies but it doesn't have near the power that that walnut hill does. and I am sure the same is true with the Corbin S and Mega Mite presses. I would imagine Upnorths press is a monster too. I started making gas checks with half hard .o15 brass shim stock and the rockchucker was doing the job but it was work. Put the same set up on that walnut hill and it was like night and day the difference. No effort at all on the Walnut hill. When I read all the things Richard Corbin had to say about linkages being weak on reloading presses I figured Yea hes just wanting to sell presses. But the more of this stuff I do the more I know he is just stating the facts. All that being said if you want to swage bullets a reloading press will do the job but with that comes breaking things etc. To me it was worth the money for the walnut hill. But you wouldnt have to go that route if you just wanted a swaging press you could get a seagirt for about a hundred or so less. Still Ch4d has that monster press out and hes asking 1300 for it so that even quells Corbin MFGs prices who I think is exorbitant.

TNsailorman
02-22-2012, 09:47 AM
I just got back from the CH4D sight and the Champion price is $300.00, not $1300.00. It states that it will handle any swaging job and that the linkage was designed to be the strongest of all the swaging presses--salesmanship or fact--I don't know from first hand experience but those links sure look like steel to me. I have never even seen a Corbin press but the write-ups I have read seem to be impressed with his knowledge and his presses. I am too old to start putting serious money into swaging presses at this late date but if I was 40 years younger--well--but that is water onver the dam. Take care, James

Airborne Falcon
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
If I hadn't done it I would not know what I am about to tell you. I bought a Walnut hill swaging press and you would not believe the power that press has. ... Put the same set up on that walnut hill and it was like night and day the difference. No effort at all on the Walnut hill. ... To me it was worth the money for the walnut hill. But you wouldnt have to go that route if you just wanted a swaging press you could get a seagirt for about a hundred or so less. Still Ch4d has that monster press out and hes asking 1300 for it so that even quells Corbin MFGs prices who I think is exorbitant.

Yeah, but you realize you are comparing apples to oranges, correct? I agree though, the Walnut Hill is a sturdy press - and worth the money. I got mine for $395.00 if I remember correctly, but I believe they are going for around $450.00 these days.

If you were looking for just a swaging press then the Sea Gert would be the way to go - but you cannot reload with it of course.

Reload3006
02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I just got back from the CH4D sight and the Champion price is $300.00, not $1300.00. It states that it will handle any swaging job and that the linkage was designed to be the strongest of all the swaging presses--salesmanship or fact--I don't know from first hand experience but those links sure look like steel to me. I have never even seen a Corbin press but the write-ups I have read seem to be impressed with his knowledge and his presses. I am too old to start putting serious money into swaging presses at this late date but if I was 40 years younger--well--but that is water onver the dam. Take care, James

I was not talking about the champion
http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=RC000
1,326 to be exact.

Reload3006
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but you realize you are comparing apples to oranges, correct? I agree though, the Walnut Hill is a sturdy press - and worth the money. I got mine for $395.00 if I remember correctly, but I believe they are going for around $450.00 these days.

If you were looking for just a swaging press then the Sea Gert would be the way to go - but you cannot reload with it of course.

Yes I do agree its apples to oranges. You can make a fruit salad with both. OR you can swage with both successfully but the press that was made for the job is going to do a lot better job with a lot less work. And with a lot less breakage.

Sasquatch-1
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Well for those who were following this thread, I received the link for my press Saturday and put it back together Sunday. I swaged few bullets to see how it is working. It seems to be fine but now I am a little gun shy, pardon the pun.
;-)

Pressman
02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Regards BT Snipers post about linkages construction. For a very short time in the 1980s there was a Rockchucker made with machined steel links. Public feedback was so negative that after just a matter of months they switched back to cast linkages.
The perception was the cast links were stronger than machined steel. Steel was chaeper to make than casting the links, but public preasure does not understand that.
Ken

BT Sniper
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I have read about the older presses actually breaking the frame due to the strength of the compound leverage. Perhaps the links are intentionally made weaker to prevent breaking the frame on the newer presses.

My thought and first hand experience EXACTLY!

nody
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
FYI, both the US Capitol Dome and the Eiffel Tower are made of cast iron, puddle iron actually for the ET.

Steelbanger
02-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Is swaging with a RC abuse? Lots of people do it. Do the instructions say not to?

RCBS stands for Rock Chuck Bullet Swage so who could fault using it to swage?

Sasquatch-1
02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
OK this is a direct copy from a manuel on RCBS's website for the Rock Chucker Supreme:

INTRODUCTION
The Rock Chucker Supreme Press has been designed specifically for heavy-duty reloading, case forming, and bullet swaging. It is engineered to handle the largest and longest magnums down to .17 caliber. The compound leverage system of the Rock Chucker Supreme Press can fulllength resize cases with less effort than other presses neck size. Using RCBS Case Forming Dies this press will form .30-06 cases into many other calibers.

So I quess I sould not have broken it.

M-Tecs
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
FYI, both the US Capitol Dome and the Eiffel Tower are made of cast iron, puddle iron actually for the ET.

Puddle iron is a type of wrought iron. It has much different properties than cast iron. Cast iron is significantly more brittle than wrought iron. Wrought iron has been mostly replaced with mild steel.

quasi
03-05-2012, 02:38 AM
I broke the frame of a Rockchucker in the early 80's.

Char-Gar
03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
RCBS stands for Rock Chuck Bullet Swage so who could fault using it to swage?

RCBS built it name and reputation around the old A series of presses which were cast steel. The RC is a different critter.

o6Patient
12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Any casting can have a defect inside. As long as they made good I don't see a problem.

If I were designing some thing like the RC one would typically design it to be at least
200% strong enough to do the job expected of it:and I'm sure they are.
A defect in the casting could bring that down to maybe 100%. All metal can
experience fatigue so poof: cracked casting.
Also when designing it one would look to design in a weak link so if it
were to be pushed beyond its limit a simple part would fail in lieu of a more
expensive one so hence: a cracked link arm.

( it's as clear as mud to me):-?

EDG
12-30-2012, 02:51 AM
I forced .467 diameter 7.62 Nato brass into steel RCBS and Herters .44 Mag sizer dies with an ID of .450 using my Rockchucker. The tremendous forces required to swage the case heads down split both sizer dies. My press is an old 1971 model Rockchucker with the large cast or sintered dumbell/dog bone links.

BTW if you look at the end of the A2 ram and at the A2 toggle block you will see there are 2 blades on one and 3 on the other. The result is the link pin that drives the ram has to shear in 4 places rather than 2 like the Rock Chucker.

7of7
12-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes I do agree its apples to oranges. You can make a fruit salad with both. OR you can swage with both successfully but the press that was made for the job is going to do a lot better job with a lot less work. And with a lot less breakage.

I have two of the Corbin CSP1 presses. I broke one die once, and have bent a few punches.. They are incredibly strong. I too found it much easier to cut the gas checks on the swage press... I made a form for the disks so they go through the bottom and use that on the RC press. makes it really easy to do the work.