PDA

View Full Version : Another OOPS!

44man
02-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I sliced a deer roast into steaks, nice young deer too. I thought I would use my Dutch oven on the stove for blackened steak.
By the way, it was great, tender and tasty.
But I still had grease all over the stove as it spit and made the wifey very unhappy.
I thought the higher sides would work better----NOT TO BE so I will just have to do this outside from now on. Not easy to use the BBQ in the winter.
I tried the lid but water formed and when I lifted it, the water fell in the grease--HORRORS! :holysheep
How do you fellas convince the wife that a stove is for COOKING? [smilie=l:
Then I made some venison soup with every root vegy, turnip, rutabaga, parsnip, potato, celery, onion and the kitchen sink. I used bacon first and browned the chunks of meat and then the onion. I mixed the water with a package of golden onion soup mix.
It was super.
After the onion, simmer the meat for an hour before adding the vegies, then cook until tender. Don't ignore the root vegies, they are something else.

SciFiJim
02-17-2012, 03:24 AM
How do you fellas convince the wife that a stove is for COOKING?

The only way I found it to clean up after myself.

Lloyd Smale
02-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Mine banned me from using it when i was making a batch of felix and somehow knocked over the double boiler full of wax. Getting it off the stove was a job but getting it off the tile floor and especially out of the grout lines was a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She bought me a microwave and a hot plate for the loading room and said the stove was for food period!!

Tom Myers
02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
But I still had grease all over the stove as it spit and made the wifey very unhappy.
I.

You might try using one of those spatter screens. They can be purchased in various sizes. Just set one on top of the pan and it will eliminate about 99% of the spatter and still allow the moisture to escape. I have found that they work quite well for me.

Wayne Smith
02-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Spatter screens work, but get in the way when you need to stir. I clean the kitchen anyway, LOML wants me to because when I'm done you can eat off the floor. She makes bigger messes than I do.

44Man, do you have a slow cooker? They are great, except for steaks! I love to do a venison roast in mine.

Shiloh
02-18-2012, 09:12 PM
can you do a slow roast in the oven?? How much grease was in the pan.

Shiloh

selmerfan
02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
For projects such as ya'll are describing I set up my turkey burner in the garage right outside the door and fry outside. It keeps the smell of hot oil out, as well as zero clean up other than the pan. I had the same idea with the dutch oven for chicken-fried steak last week, with the same results, but my wife loved the steak so much she didn't mind, plus I cleaned up after myself. :) Fish are fried exclusively outside.