PDA

View Full Version : 45-75

Olevern
02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Anybody here have any experience with the 45-75 in a lever action? My local dealer has a used Cimmeron with exhibition grade wood for $850.00. I find Chapperel's on Gunbroker.com but no Cimmeron.

Is this a fair price for the Cimmeron? Who actually makes this rifle? (I suspect Uberti)

What is the quality of the Chapperel? I note it is priced considerably under the Cimmeron.

Anybody loading smokeless in the 45-75?

I really don't need another rifle or caliber to load for, but this rifle really caught my eye (I have an eye for beautiful wood)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Rafe Covington
02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Anybody here have any experience with the 45-75 in a lever action? My local dealer has a used Cimmeron with exhibition grade wood for $850.00. I find Chapperel's on Gunbroker.com but no Cimmeron.

Is this a fair price for the Cimmeron? Who actually makes this rifle? (I suspect Uberti)

What is the quality of the Chapperel? I note it is priced considerably under the Cimmeron.

I really don't need another rifle or caliber to load for, but this rifle really caught my eye (I have an eye for beautiful wood)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Not sure about price, they go for about 12 to 14 hundred when new, have heard quality on the chapparels were touch and go [don't think they are still in business]. I have heard very good reports on the Cimarron rifles. Uberti makes the 1876 rifles, I think they build them to the importers wants but not sure. I bought mine at Taylor & Co in VA, the quality is great and very accurate.

I use AA 5744 powder in my 40-60 and 50-95 rifles, they aren't magnums but loaded to original specs they make good hunting rifles. If you choose to you can load blackpowder cartridges in these rifle also.

All the guys I have heard say the 45-75 is a very good cartridge.

JMHO
Rafe

Dan Cash
02-16-2012, 09:27 AM
It will probably work better with black powder. Be sure that the wood grain is real and not "painted" on. Some of the Chaparell guns used the painted grain finish.

02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Rafe Covington pretty well summed it up. I know a fellow who had one of those mentioned, the Chapparral I think. Never would function right and finally got rid of it. No experience or direct knowledge of the Cimarron models.

The 45-75 is a fine round. The RCBS 300 FN GC is a good bullet for it. I shoot both BP and smokeless in mine. I use extreme care when loading smokeless for original 76s. 5744 seems to work very well pushing the 300 gr cast to about 1100 fps. Those I believe yield similar pressure to the BP loads. Early on I found some 45-75 Jamison brass locally at reasonable price so bought remaining stock. Don't know about current availability of brass. I think it is worth it to use correct headstamped brass instead of fighting with reforming 348, etc.

Olevern
02-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate the info.

Yance
03-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Cimarron is "top of the line" Uberti. Chaparral is bottom of the barrel junque (in my not so humble opinion) I spend several months and quite a few e-mails and phone calls to Chaparral trying to get satisfaction on a replacement for a BADLY chambered .45-75 "Long Range" 28" barrel. Reamer wobbled and chamber was a good .030 off axis. They sent a shorter barreled replacement because they'd logged the one I sent back in incorrectly and never could get one fo the 28" barrels in from Italy. (according to them)

Short version, both the owner and myself were so pi$$ed at Chaparral the the replacement was never even loaded, much less fired and was sent on its merry way via Gunbroker. It must've turned out to be a decent rifle since I never heard anything negative back from its new owner. At least the rifle was still NIB so if there was a problem HE could deal with the clowns at Chaparral.

Bottom line, There's no way I'd gamble on a Chaparral, period!

AkMike
03-02-2012, 03:28 AM
If you decide to go for it I've got a set of NIB lee dies I'll give you a good deal on.

PM me

Olevern
03-02-2012, 08:01 PM
AkMike,
The gun comes with a set of Lee dies, and it is on layaway now, it'll come home in about a month.
thanks,
vern

AkMike
03-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Sounds good to me!

Have fun with that beast!

John Boy
03-03-2012, 01:59 PM
23gr Accurate 5744