PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits and barell twist 586 Smith

Anthony333
02-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Hi folks... i am considering having my 586 6" Smith & Wesson revolver re barreled, trigger job, etc for use in 50 yard Service Match.
I will be shooting cast boolits exclusively and was wondering is there a certain twist rate of barrel i should choose ? My gunsmith will probably have some good ideas, i just thought i would ask here first ..
Will it depend on the projectiles weight ? shape etc ?
My Boolit is a MP Mold 360 170 grain solid flat point , i will size to the bore accordingly ...when i get the gun done.
Its going to be a slab barrel of 6 inches and be used at 50 Yards mostly, and closer.

I guess i want the best accuracy from the start, so if there is anything i need to consider.. i am all ears ...:lovebooli

Larry Gibson
02-16-2012, 03:04 AM
Suggest you research PPC revolvers, they have been refined to the 'nth degree including appropriate bullets and barrel twist. Finding out what the winners in that game are using might be better than asking for opinions.

Larry Gibson

kshock
02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
PPC revolvers usually will be rebarreled with custom barrels that have a faster twist. S&W stock barrels have a 18.75 per inch twist and will not reliabally stabilize a full wadcutter at 50 yards, hence the faster twist barrels for PPC (since wadcutters are the norm for that game). I have seen revolvers rebarreled with anywhere from 1:14 twist and a custom PPC smith (who built my gun) is now using 1:10 twist barrels. I think if you look Brownell's they list custom barrels for these conversions and I think they were Douglas with 1:12 twist (I think, haven't looked for awhile). If you are planning on using cast bullets other than full wadcutters( ie SWC,RN RNFP,etc) you probably don't HAVE to rebarrel with a faster twist, but I still probably would. BTW, Those fast twist custom barrels still shoot J word bullets and high velocity rounds very well.

MtGun44
02-16-2012, 02:39 PM
A good friend is a PPC champion and he uses much faster twist custom barrels.
If you can't find it, PM me and I'll ask for specifics. He is a subject matter expert.

Bill

bobthenailer
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Wadcutters are usually more accurate with a fast twist rifleing .
S&W uses a slower twist for there barrels , however if your useing 158 gr bullets or heaver the S&W factory twist will do fine ! ive had 3 , 6"- 686s and they all were very accurate with this weight bullet I dont belive you will be giving up much or any accuracy even at 50 yards.
If you decide to use the factory barrel ? and want a heaver barrel, i have a now disconued Wilson Combat full length contured barrel under lug that slides over the barrels lower full length lug and attaches with 2 allen screws to add about 8 oz to the barrel . It makes it look like a slab sided bull barrel. $20.00 + shipping to koala land