PDA

View Full Version : Check out the USS Gabriel Giffords

quilbilly
02-16-2012, 01:08 AM
This is an interesting vessel - 300 foot long gunboat that is shallow draft and can sprint at 50 kts.
I think they made it too big and should have added a sidescan sonar (I was a minesweep sailor) but wow anyway. That Bofors gun is a keeper - 57mm with a 220 rds/min capability and a range of 8500 yards. Finally a helo deck to launch spec ops teams. This should give pirates a thrill too.

snuffy
02-16-2012, 01:38 AM
I'd love to check it out, got a picture?

Bret4207
02-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Are they really naming a ship after her? I don't mean to be insensitive and I'm sorry she got shot, but other than getting shot and being a Congressman what notable thing did she do to warrant this honor?If it's real it's political correctness run amuck. Ships were always named for people who did noteworthy things.

Jim
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/uss-gabriel-giffords.png

Wayne Smith
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm no Navy guy, would a trihull be a problem mounting sidescan sonar?

jcwit
02-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Wonder what her views on gun control are now?

Moondawg
02-16-2012, 10:50 AM
The Sec of the Navy has the privilege of naming new ships. The current Navy Sec has been on a binge of naming navy ships after democrat and/or liberal activists. That is his privilege. He has gotten a lot of flack for the practice.

1Shirt
02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Yep, agree with Bret and Moondawg. This is political p.c. at best, at worst, an example of naming a vesel after someone who had something done to them rather than for someone who has done something (like Congressional Medal of Honor winners). Nothing against the lady, just the current administration, liberal bleeding hearts, and etc.etc.etc.
1Shirt!:

Mk42gunner
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
This is just wrong on so many levels.

Robert

bruce drake
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15065

This time, he's named three ships after actual heros (WWII, Vietnam and OIF) and two cities.

Tom-ADC
02-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I've got two ballcaps one each LCS-1 The USS Freedom & LCS-2 USS Independence a friend of mine is part of the program team.
Being an old airdale sailor my feeling about ships is "If you can't land and take off a fixed wing aircraft its way to small"
I'm not sure I'm ready to have naval ships at least those that are combat ships named after senator or civil rights people, a supply or support vessel probably so, but in the mean time lets name the combat ships after combat hero's.

scb
02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Can't wait to see the USS Barney Frank. (yes I can)

NVcurmudgeon
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
As an old sailor I don't like to see ships named for the flavor of the month politician. Formerly ships were named for Navy and Marine Corps heroes, inventors, and founding fathers of the U. S. Once they began naming them for Presidents and Indian chiefs the rot began. There is a carrier named for John C. Stennis who was none of the above, just a prominent Senator or Representative who was friendly to Navy appropriations. One of the early nuclear submarines was named for Tecumseh, who fought against the U. S! Labor union leaders like Cesar Chavez, and living politicians such as Jimmy Carter and Congresswoman Giffords, don't rate the same honor as Marine Private Gurke, who died throwing himself onto a Jap grenade to save his foxhole buddy.

quilbilly
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I see from the drawing that it does have a mine detection (sidescan) sonar. That wasn't in the other websites. The sidescan does make this boat quite a package. I agree that it wrong to name a new ship by the political flavor of the month. Hope they have budgetted another ten.

Rafe Covington
02-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Political correctness, guess we will be naming them after drug dealers next.

Rafe:drinks:

gandydancer
02-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Cessna used to make a twin prop airplane called A push/pull one in front and one in back we always called it the Barney FO4Q Ol suck & blow if I am in trouble for this post. I'm sorry I could not help my self. and please remove. GD

O4Q where the last 3 numbers I kid you not. you just know what that sounded like over the radio.

letsmeltlead2693
02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
That thing is probably loaded with asbestos as most military ships are. Should also include a "DANGER ASBESTOS Lung Disease and Cancer Hazard Respirators Required in the Area" sign. It should also have respirators at the entrance before you go in so you do die from asbestosis or asbestos diseases. Yeah, kinda off topic, but it still is describing the ship.

shooterg
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
They're flying the flag at half mast for her in New Jersey, so next up is obviously the USS Whitney Houston !

Harter66
02-17-2012, 01:38 PM
:kidding:Gandy
Zero/oscar-four-quebec?

I guess there will never be an Uncle Tom or a HucK Finn either.

1Shirt
02-17-2012, 01:50 PM
I blame it all on media hype and the class of american media junkies who soak up all of the garbage on the tube that is played over, and over, and over, and over!
1Shirt!:coffee:

exile
02-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I was under the impression that Navy vessels were supposed to be named after naval heroes of the past. Guess I was wrong. I believe there was a bill in the House of Representatives to stop this sort of blatant political posturing. Wonder what happened to it?

exile

letsmeltlead2693
02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I thought too. They shouldn't be named after some drug addict that didn't get much attention after their death. People don't care about something until it is gone.

montana_charlie
02-17-2012, 02:09 PM
If they're going to name a watercraft after Whitney Houston, it should be something designed to chase dope dealers ... then sink below the surface and drown after it catches enough of them.

CM

letsmeltlead2693
02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I like your idea.

waksupi
02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Know what is six inches long, and didn't get sucked on Valentines Day?

Whitney Houston's crack pipe.

Bill*
02-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Holy crud...I opened the Navy press release and almost choked. At first glance I read the name USS Omaha as USS Obama. That was scary, seriously.

Jamesconn
02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I read about that awhile ago I agree this is wrong combat ships should be named after people who went above and beyond for their fellow man and all us strangers they didn't even meet.

montana_charlie
02-17-2012, 10:58 PM
All ships in this class:
• USS Freedom (LCS-1) – prototype
• USS Independence (LCS-2) – prototype
• USS Fort Worth (LCS-3)
• USS Coronado (LCS-4)
• USS Milwaukee (LCS-5)
• USS Jackson (LCS-6)
• USS Detroit (LCS-7)
• USS Montgomery (LCS-8)
• USS Little Rock (LCS-9)
• USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS-10)

The last one just seems like an odd duck ... no?

CM

Marvin S
02-18-2012, 03:56 AM
That ought to boost the ol esprit decorps. Just another slap in the face of people that really fought hard. This is my 30th year in the military and am less impressed every year.

3006guns
02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
If they're going to name a watercraft after Whitney Houston, it should be something designed to chase dope dealers ... then sink below the surface and drown after it catches enough of them.

CM

Uh........no, actually it's one of our new subs.

With portholes.

Matt_G
02-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Political correctness, guess we will be naming them after drug dealers next.

Next thing you know, they will be calling those poor misunderstood people "unlicensed pharmacists". http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/downloads/vomit.gif [smilie=b:

Just remember this fundamental rule:
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

quilbilly
02-19-2012, 12:53 AM
I wasn't too long ago on the Military Channel that there was a show showing a 500 foot long guided missile cruiser chasing Somali pirates in an fast fishing boat. Hats off to the skipper and the creative shiphandling that caught the boat but the whole idea was preposterous. That warship was just to big and slow for the job and its capabilities were wasted.
One of the websites dealing with the new LCS's said one these smaller faster vessels shallow draft could do the work of two larger slower vessels dealing with pirates far more cheaply. With limited air cover and those sidescan sonars, the LCS is perfect to protect the Straits of Hormuz since iran has thousands of old Soviet mines that could be planted by fishing boats. This is 21st century asymetric warfare.
I am glad they are hoping to get ten in spite of the procurement scandal. They are the best weapons platform I has seen for the mission.

Blacksmith
02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
That thing is probably loaded with asbestos as most military ships are. Should also include a "DANGER ASBESTOS Lung Disease and Cancer Hazard Respirators Required in the Area" sign. It should also have respirators at the entrance before you go in so you do die from asbestosis or asbestos diseases. Yeah, kinda off topic, but it still is describing the ship.

When was the last time you were in a shipyard? Things have changed or maybe you still believe brake linings, shingles, and a lot of other things still have asbestos in them. If so you better look at your lead melting equipment because lead pots, lead pipe joint runners and heavy duty electric cords all were made with asbestos. Asbestos gloves were common we had asbestos blankets in school chemistry class and movie theaters had asbestos curtains.

Just because some ambulance chasing lawyer wants to get his cut and has ads on TV about asbestos DANGER doesn't mean his statements are accurate. Go do some research. The most dangerous thing when I worked in shipyards was falling and in the yards I was at, when OSHA was just begining, averaged killing one worker per year per yard. The first day I started at Beth Steel Sparrows Point a painter walked off the end of the hanging staging, you could see the paint spray track all the way down. He would have been alright if he hadn't hit the pier before going in the water. Yes I remember each and every one.

letsmeltlead2693
02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm 19 and never been on a ship. I learned on the internet that asbestos was made mandatory on naval ships because of its fireproofing and sound insulating qualities. Yes, asbestos is safe when not friable or being removed, but when it deteriorates it is a health hazard. Like most things, asbestos when new was in good condition, but when it is 40-50 years old it starts crumbling and starts releasing fibers in the air. Asbestos is one of those thing people has different views on. Yes, it is toxic, but there are people who have worked in a manufacturing plant for asbestos for many years and live to be in their 90s. There are some people who are not around it much and get cancer. It just depends on the person and the type of asbestos exposed to.

Mk42gunner
02-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. THE U.S. Navy has had an asbestos abatement program since at least the mid 1980's. When we went in the yards for regular overhaul on my first ship in 1988 one of the main goals was to remove as much asbestos as possible.

As far as I know, none of the ships built since the late 80's had any asbestos on them at all.

Robert

Blacksmith
02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Letsmeltlead2693

None of the Navy ships built in your lifetime and probably few built in your parents lifetimes have used asbestos in any suignificant quantity they stopped it in new construction in the 1970's. Certainly the USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS-10) has little or no asbestos on it and that makes your comment that it should carry warning signs way out of line.

People taking things out of context and making rash statements are what gets things blown out of proportion and bad laws passed. Everyone on this forum is looking at the real possibility of most lead being legislated out of existance not because of good reasons but because of junk science and hysteria. It is very important when considering subjects such as asbestos, lead, global warming, drugs, economics, and the like that you keep an open mind, consider fairly the arguments on both sides and when you reach an opinion be prepared to defend it with facts and modify that opinion if necessary.

There are people out there and on this forum who have been exposed to various chemical, radiation, physical, emotional and other hazards who live every day wondering what may happen to them in the future.

letsmeltlead2693
02-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I did not know that. I thought asbestos was still used in new naval ships. I really appreciate you straightening me out with current information, and I appreciate that. You guy have been alive MUCH longer than me and are full of useful knowledge that most people these days just don't have.

Ickisrulz
02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Don't forget about the millions and millions of dollars wasted removing non-friable floor and ceiling tiles from public schools for no good reason.

letsmeltlead2693
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
We have non friable tiles in our(parents) basement. They are crumbling on the edges, but fine in general. Asbestos tiles, produced in 1958, our house built in 1959.

Blacksmith
02-22-2012, 12:22 AM
So your basement is more dangerous than a Navy ship, do you have your signs posted?:kidding:

MakeMineA10mm
02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
A similar subject came up on another forum I belong to. Old salts will remember there used to be a system: Battleships named for states, cruisers for cities, submarines for fish of the sea, (when ballistic missile subs came along, they started naming them for Revolutionary War heroes and later, they took over state names with the BBs decommissioned), destroyers for navy and marine heroes. Every class had a naming convention, down to tugboats (indian tribes for ocean-going & seafaring work tools for yard tugs). This all fell apart due to the carriers. But it has become really aggregious with the politics... Republicans are guilty too: USS George H. Bush........