PDA

View Full Version : What would you offer on a Martini small action,

mtngunr
03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
rebarreled to .25-20 (full octagon maybe Badger), solid steel barrel rib scope mount, gorgeous black/brown striped PG/MonteCarlo walnut, both wood and metal unfinished....current owner gave $350 to the builder, and will want a profit, I'm sure......it interests me....comes with a Bushnell Sportview mounted......

The Double D
03-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Well since you are in a buying mood..some negotiation points.

...boring caliber and cheap scope. Unfinished wood and metal. Octagon barrel is out of place and incorrect for a Martini. The barrel will need to be turned 1/2 round to give a little class and not look tacky.

You don't say which small martini action it is, so there are issues like has it been converted to Centerfire or was it already CF. Has the pin been reduced and bushed. Has loading height been adjusted or does it need adjusted. How is the trigger?

Are the stocks fully fit and attached and shaped needing nothing more the finish? Or do they still need fit and finish?

You will have a lot of work to do and a bit of money to invest if you don't do the work yourself.

If he bought the gun like this from the builder and has had it a short time I would offer very little. Remember your interest is to get the best deal you can get for yourself. It's up to him to look out for his interest and get what profit he can. In fact I always like to get a seller to tell me what they want to start. Then work from there. He is going to come in high.

For you opening counter offer, I'd tell him to keep the scope and offer him what he as in the rifle. Then the most I would offer on the deal is $375, but only after some hard negtiotions. If you have pay more for this package, walk away. This is a project not a finished rifle.

Bigjohn
03-18-2007, 02:41 AM
rebarreled to .25-20 (full octagon maybe Badger), solid steel barrel rib scope mount, gorgeous black/brown striped PG/MonteCarlo walnut, both wood and metal unfinished....current owner gave $350 to the builder, and will want a profit, I'm sure......it interests me....comes with a Bushnell Sportview mounted......

I own a few of these rifles and actions and can appreciate one which has been rebuilt/customized by a good smith who knows what he is doing.

Along with the comments by Double D; basically; 'It is only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it!'

$350.00US would be a good starting point in my opinion, be prepared to go higher IF you are willing and want it.
If the work has been done by a excellent gunsmith then it will be worth it.

In my case; I know I have paid too much for some of those I have. Recently, $250.00AUD on one with a rusted barrel but I have spare barrels.

Best of luck and please keep us informed,

John.

gregg
03-18-2007, 07:49 AM
I don't know if this will help but just last weekend saw a
22 rf action from down under priced at $375 at a gun show.
I'm sure he did not sell it but just a idea on prices.
I'm taken by the little buggers but not sure of where the
prices on these run from or to.

4060MAY
03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I sold mine for 650.00 US with dies and some brass

Martini small frame Ausie action with the kangaroo on it
.256Win Mag, Douglas XX barrel, Fajen wood, scope mounts
for 1" scope using T/C mount fitted to the barrel.
CF action, firing pin bushed to .070

mtngunr
03-19-2007, 10:43 AM
I appreciate all the replies......the owner has $350 in the gun, and will doubtless wish to make a profit of some sort.....the metal and wood needs very little work, mainly final finish on both, which I can do.....I rather like the full octagon, and believe this to be a CF action.....still dithering on even offering anything, as I already have a 32WCF, even though my best iron sight 3/4" 50yd groups with the 32 hardly make it a longer range gun that the 25 will doubtlessly be.......

Steve E
03-24-2007, 12:41 AM
I would love to have one of the little Martini's in 357 Max.

Steve E...........

crossfireoops
03-24-2007, 01:43 AM
You'll never lose money if you throw $400 at that rig......PARTICULARLY if it's Badgered.

My $.02

GTC

Four Fingers of Death
03-24-2007, 08:53 AM
You'll never lose money if you throw $400 at that rig......PARTICULARLY if it's Badgered.

My $.02

GTC

You will if you bring it to Australia :D.