View Full Version : Trimming Cases The East Way With the Giraud Power Trimmer

Kevin Rohrer
02-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I have a hungry M1A, a pair of Garands, and an 03A3 that all require regular feeding. That means buying USGI cases by the thousand. These cases must be hand de-primed (RCBS de-priming die), de-crimped (w/ a Dillon primer pocket swager), then trimmed. I had been using a Sinclair trimmer, but after spending two hours with it and only getting a hundred or so cases trimmed, it was time to do as Tim the Toolman said, and get "more power!"

Reviews indicated that the Giraud Power Trimmer was the way to go. A call to them in Texas and my power case trimmer was here within a week.

I had to do nothing more than unpack the trimmer and plug it in, as the Giraud was already setup for .308 cases. I trimmed one and checked it; the trimmer was set a 2.008". As the recommended trim length for .308 is 2.005", I loosened the lock ring that kept the cutter in-place, adjusted it <1/8 turn and retightened the ring. Trimming a second case showed the OAL at 2.005", and I was in-business.

To use the Giraud, all you do is stick a case into the trimmer hole and the rapidly revolving cutter trims it to the proper length, then de-burs and chamfers--all in 2-seconds. You cannot over-trim cases and cannot get injured as the cutter is enclosed within a plexiglass and aluminum housing. Only cases are put in "harms' way".

Within an hour of first use, I had trimmed several hundred cases and gotten a blister on one finger from holding the cases against the cutter's torque. I began wearing a leather glove on my right hand and holding cases is easier and less strain on my thumb and fingers. Also, the trimmer is designed to be used either horizontally or vertically and carries a lifetime warranty.

The only downside to the Giraud is the price. With an additional cutter for 30/06 and shipping, the damage to my credit was $482. Additional cutters are available for calibers ranging from .17 Fireball to .50BMG. And if the caliber of your choice isn't on their list, Giraud says they can make it for you. Recommended.

I need to find more brass to trim. :guntootsmiley:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0773.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0774.jpg

jmorris
02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
They are nice but the Dillon on a progressive is faster and no blisters.

Kevin Rohrer
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
They are nice but the Dillon on a progressive is faster and no blisters.

It's a bit faster. It's also noisier, requires an even noisier vacuum cleaner to draw off the trimmings; and according to their site, won't work with cartridges shorter than .222. It also requires a special trim die of which only a few case sizes are available (six), and it comes with only a one year warranty. It also requires a press for use and apparently doesn't debur or chamfer. And in the interest of full disclosure, it's initially a lot cheaper.

M-Tecs
02-16-2012, 11:31 AM
After I got my Giraud I sold my Dillon. The Dillon does not inside and outside chamfer. The Giraud does. When you include the chamfering the Dilon is not faster.

ph4570
02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
I have been contemplating one of the Giraud units. The lifetime warranty is attractive. I hope it is better than the Dillon "no" BS warranty. My Dillon trimmer failed and they will not answer my mail. My Dillon unit was purchased prior to them slapping on a limited period disclaimer on electrical items. They seem to think that disclaimer is retroactive.

What do you all think of Giraud's annealer? Looks like a sweet unit to me. I got the itch but not the scratch.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
The Iraqi Vet I get my 300 BLK brass from uses a Dillon. You run 223 brass in, and it comes out 300 BLK. Will the Giraud also do that?

I am curious, not subjective.

Rich

Johnk454
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Almost bought a Giraud as I liked the idea of a decoupled drive better than the Dillon. However, the Dillon's speed is many times faster, which sold me. Cost wasn't really a factor either way.

As mentioned, the Dillon does not ID or OD chamfer the neck while trimming. I've seen no reason to inside or outside ream necks for my uses - which is an advantage for the Giraud, if someone decides they need it.

CH4D makes trim dies for other calibers for the Dillon, if necessary.

Finally, the Giraud warranty says:

"If the parts or problems are determined to be due to defective parts not made by GTC, such as the motor or switches, GTC will replace them for you at cost or as inexpensively as possible. Unfortunately, GTC cannot control somebody else's products
against defective parts or material."

In other words, "NO ELECTRICAL WARRANTY".

I think they are both excellent trimmers, albeit slightly different applications. The edge in consistancy would probably go to the Giraud, but I'm not sure the lower tolerance case-to-case would make enough difference for general use.

Kevin Rohrer
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1Zdwnm9Fk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

Johnk454
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
The Iraqi Vet I get my 300 BLK brass from uses a Dillon. You run 223 brass in, and it comes out 300 BLK. Will the Giraud also do that?

I am curious, not subjective.

Rich

No, the Dillon setup in that case is a form/size/trim die & trimmer. The Giraud is strictly a trimmer, referencing off the shoulder in the case of 308.

Kevin Rohrer
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
What do you all think of Giraud's annealer?

I didn't look at it as I have one from Ballistic Edge. I annealed 1k .308s in a couple hours with it.

jmorris
02-16-2012, 10:21 PM
The Dillon does not inside and outside chamfer. The Giraud does. When you include the chamfering the Dilon is not faster.

The one I have cuts so clean I don't have to chamfer. I use it for my 3 gun ammunition, just over 1800 cases sized and trimed an hour. If you have bucket fulls of brass, there is nothing as easy. A 1050 also swages as you load but you really have to load a lot to justify the cost.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/trimmer.jpg

What do you all think of Giraud's annealer?

I built mine before they made one but didn't think stacking cases by hand was very "automatic" once they did come out with it.

This is the one I built, just used the collator off one of my presses to feed it.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/annealer/DSC01810.jpg

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-17-2012, 03:15 AM
Your annealing unit looks very nice. I anneal with the Knight unit, it is fast and stupid simple...
Even my wife can anneal brass with it. I bought a thousand new Starline 45-70 cases before I found out they cut costs by not annealing their brass. I did the batch in an hour or so.

Rich

Kevin Rohrer
02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
:hijack:
For those of you w/ annealers, how many seconds do you have the case necks in the flame? Mine uses 2-torchs and I keep it in 6-seconds.

jmorris
02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
For those of you w/ annealers, how many seconds do you have the case necks in the flame? Mine uses 2-torchs and I keep it in 6-seconds.

It depends on the case and how the torches are adjusted. I have it advance before the flame turns from blue to orange. An orange flame is over done. There are some videos in the annealer sticky at the top of this forum.

LUBEDUDE
02-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the reveiw of the Giraud Kevin. I learned something.