PDA

View Full Version : Help me put a value on a Remington 700 BDL Carbine

nonferrous
02-15-2012, 11:10 PM
I have decided to sell a few of the guns from the safe that have not seen sunlight for years. One interesting item I have is a Remington 700 BDL Carbine with a 20 inch barrel, in .280 Rem.
The gun is very nice, probably about 97 to 98%. A few marks on the stock and almost perfect blue. In looking at the bolt face and magazine follower, it's hard to tell if it has ever been fired. It has stock Remington sights, nice wood and checkering, Monte Carlo stock and sling swivel studs.
As I understand it, the Carbines were only made in the first 2 years of 700 production in the early 70's, I think only about 1760 were made.
I am hoping that one of you may have an idea as to where I should start with a sell price. There are so few of them out there it is hard to find a completed auction for one.
Thanks in advance

largom
02-16-2012, 12:57 AM
According to the Blue Book of Gun Values the 20 in. barrels were made in 1962 and changed to 22 in. in 1964. Estimated value would be $450 to $650. The value will depend a lot on the area you try to sell in. You might also check Gun Broker or Auction Arms on the web. Don't go by "asking" price, look at what some have sold for. Hope this helps.

Larry

nonferrous
02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Larry, Thanks for the reply.
This is kind of what I thought the range would be. I have two guys that are more than a little interested at 500.00. The gun is very close to mint and when you mount the gun it feels very close, compact and neat.
If I was still into Whitetail hunting I would never sell it. however, I think those days are over. I still have a 700 in '06' if I should have the need.
I got 2 of these in the mid 80's, the other was an ADL and it sold in a heartbeat for 350.00 25 years ago, it wasn't as nice.
Try as you may, it is hard to sell something for the asking price, you always have to give a little.
Thanks again, Len

wv109323
02-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Look at the price of a new Remington 700 BDL. The price will surprise you how much they have gone up. $500 is not a bad price at all.

excess650
02-17-2012, 10:33 AM
If you check Gunbroker you'll find that you're way low at $500. In .280 it should bring a real premium, say $1200+. Its supply and demand and there weren't many .280 carbines made. I have a 30-06, but mine is and ADL with refinished stock, and I wouldn't even consider selling it for $500.

nonferrous
02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks,
I really don't know all that much about rifles aside from shooting them. But it seems like when I handle and look over a 700 that was blessed with nice wood from the factory, its hard to imagine why someone would pay 2 or 3 times more for one of the upscale guns.
Probably like Lexus vs Jaguar.

nonferrous
02-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks Excess,
I was kind of thinking someone would probably have a handle on it. I really appreciate your input.

snowwolfe
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
The best way to determine the selling value is to put it on gunbrokers with some good photos. Gunbrokers has a 50 state following and you never know when a collector is looking for what you are selling. Those bidders do some crazy things. I recently sold a rifle on their with a buy it now price of "X". Well, two bidders were both thinking no one would bid on it so they waited until the final minutes and then got into a frenzy and by the time they hit the buy it now price the auction would not close on time because they were both rebidding within minutes so the auction stay opened.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266711445

Trust me, put it on gunbrokers for the best exposure and best possible price.

pietro
03-01-2012, 07:36 PM
In 1966, I bought a .243 Model 700 ADL Carbine for $95......................

I liked it better han the basketweave BDL "checkering", but soon upgraded it by installing a BDL triggerguard/floorplate assembly with parts I ordered directly from the Remington Parts Dept for about $20, IIRC.

I took several Maine Whitetails with that rifle - using a receiver peep sight I installed.

If I were you, I'd keep your .280 Carbine, and sell the -06's. :bigsmyl2:

TNsailorman
03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I bought one of the very early ADL Remington 700's in 30-06 in the fall of 1962. The price was $90.00 and that included the shipping and tax in Gate City, Virginia. I ordered it through a furniture store. It had a 20" barrel and would put bullets into one ragged hole at 100 yards off a rest. The serial number was 32## if my memory is correct. Like a dang idiot, I sold it 20 hunting years later for $175.00. I do wish I had kept it. I used the money to buy a Savage 99 DL in .308 winchester and yes, I foolishly sold that one too to buy something else I just had to try. I think I have spent my whole life chasing the mythical "perfect" gun. The only thing wrong with the 20" ADL was the noise, that thing would take your ears off and if you happened to try shooting from a prone position, be prepared to have debries blown back into your face. I will say this, that 20" barrel put me into hearing protection for my ears at a time when most people looked on those who wore hearing protection as sissies. I do have fond memories of that rifle and yes, the price is up dramatically on those rifles, $800.00 about being the ground floor on a really good one. My experience anyway, James