PDA

View Full Version : Mold for tin 'measured' slugs

Frozone
02-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Ok, this is my crazy idea.

A little background:

I use tin slugs of 2 different sizes to add tin to my base alloy.
I use a 15 gram slug as the large one and a 5 gram as the small.

I weigh the alloy to be added to in grams on a postal scale then simple math gives me the grams of tin to add for the desired %.
At least to the closest 5 grams.
Since I usually add ~3000 grams of base alloy at a time, I'm only off by a small faction of a percent

I currently use an old worn out LEE 2 holer that I bored to 45 cal. (it makes a good firelapping slug too ;-) ) to make the larger slug and I use a .440" round ball single for the smaller. the 440 is a bit lite, and with this odd maker mold,Very hard to cast

I propose a buy of a mold to make both slugs at the same time, and closer to weight than I currently can.

A large mold to make 4 15 g and 1 or 2 5g ones at the same time.
Any interest in a mold like this.

rollmyown
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Depends on cost but I like the idea.

Maybe a cam lever capability could be added to help cut the tuffer tin sprue.

SciFiJim
02-16-2012, 02:02 AM
I have used a 450gr .45cal mold to cast 1oz solder ingots to sweeten a pot with. They come out a bit lighter of course. If you cut them when still hot, they are no tougher to cut than lead. I use a gloved hand like I do lead. The problem I have run into is that if not sufficiently cool, they will stick together.

When I first tried this, I found I had to cast at a MUCH lower temp than boolit casting. Didn't measure it, just turned the heat down.