PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #3 Ruger May Make them again, Contact the CEO!!

Suo Gan
02-15-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.ruger.com/resources/tellTheCEO.html

Ya never know! :Fire:

oldred
02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Let's start a drive for an octagon barrel too!

Rio Grande
02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I did it, asked for remake of #3 in 30-40 or .303 Brit.

pls1911
02-15-2012, 11:34 PM
30-30 would be sweet!

coaldust
02-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I sent the CEO a message this morningI own two Ruger No3s, one in 22 hornet and one in 45/70, both wear No1 butt stock and the 45/70 has a Shelien mag-na-ported 22in barrel.

John Taylor
02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Told them my #3s got a higher price with the octagon barrel when I was forced to sell.

gewehrfreund
02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
I think you're dreaming, but who knows? Ruger has done some strange things over the years.
But now, with Bill, Sr. gone, I think the bean counters are firmly in control, so I don't see the #3 being reintroduced soon, if ever.
Now, if you suggested it be made in stainless with plastic stocks in the latest super-duper short proprietary beltless magnum, maybe. . .

Rio Grande
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
I think you're dreaming, but who knows? Ruger has done some strange things over the years.
But now, with Bill, Sr. gone, I think the bean counters are firmly in control, so I don't see the #3 being reintroduced soon, if ever.
Now, if you suggested it be made in stainless with plastic stocks in the latest super-duper short proprietary beltless magnum, maybe. . .

Don't forget the 'firesights'. :roll:

Suo Gan
02-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Well it is the same action platform as the #1. Don't see what the big deal is, but then again, I am not a bean counter either. Apparently there is no end for the need of butt ugly guns, and redundant calibers out there. I think the AR platform is fine, I am not a gun snob, they are fun to shoot, frankly I really don't understand the mystique with the market trends over the last 20 years. Apparently I am not alone, but I think I am in the minority. But I guess that is what makes the world go round.

Haggway
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
I would like the option of maybe a custom shop. Choices of caliber, and wood combo. I have a few # 1's and two # 3's one wearing grey laminate wood I found in a shop cheap. I finally am filling the dream of one in 300 H&h.

The Ranger
02-16-2012, 10:36 PM
someone tell me, whats the differnece between a no.1 and no.3? they look the same to me, i don't get it.

Haggway
02-16-2012, 10:57 PM
The # 3 was a lesser expensive model. The stock and forarm are not as nice. It has an American style lever, and was a carbine.

nicholst55
02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Add a telescoping M4-style stock, vertical PG, forearm rails, fiber-optic sights (like Mossberg's hideous new lever gun), and maybe they'll bite. It took 40+ years to get Ruger to build a .44 Special revolver, and they figured they would never sell. Turns out they can't make them fast enough!

It seems to me that Ruger has been following the industry trends for the past 30 years or so, rather than innovating. To me, that's a sure way to go out of business.

Every year or so I 'tell the CEO' that I want a 5-shot Blackhawk in .480 Ruger - me and several other folks. I don't expect to ever see one from the factory, and I can't afford to have one built. Guess I'll have to buy a BFR rather than a Ruger.

If they were to reintroduce the #3, they'd figure out some way to jack it up. That, and they'd need to have at least one recall before the bloody thing would work right. Just MHO.

gandydancer
02-17-2012, 12:32 AM
The ruger # 1 also has some kind of a lever release spring that you push down to break open. the #3 does not. I would like to see the # 3 made again but not with that cresent butt stock they had on them.with the bigger calibers (45/70) that sucker hurt. GD

Suo Gan
02-17-2012, 12:40 PM
The consumer wants these, but not a #3?? :???: I must have fallen off the gun fashion wagon a long time ago. I just do not get why they offer some of these things and refuse to offer others that would clearly sell. How many people want a tacticool 1894? How many want a circuit judge?

1Shirt
02-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Have a #3 in K-hornet! Have taken p-dogs with it in excess of 250. Would like one in 222 or 223, and in 30-30. Need another rifle like I need more holes in the head, but a #3 in 30-30 just to shoot cast would really be hard to pass up. Ah to dream of but another rifle!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

JesterGrin_1
02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Sorry I requested something that should be very easy for them and that is a Ruger No.1 in .358 Winchester. :)

Can you Believe they never made one. Bolt Action sure but not a No.1 WoW just WoW.

oldred
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
The consumer wants these, but not a #3?? :???: I must have fallen off the gun fashion wagon a long time ago. I just do not get why they offer some of these things and refuse to offer others that would clearly sell. How many people want a tacticool 1894? How many want a circuit judge?

Wow! Are they trying to redefine ugly? Actually just plain dumb is what I can't help but think!

Ok I have to admit I must be stuck in the past but I just fail to see the appeal of some of the new guns out there such as that horrid lever gun! Somebody must really like that sort of thing however because that's what makes up the bulk of what turns up in the shooting mags anymore, the mag covers on the news stands mostly are about the latest Captain Billy Whizbang space cadet rifle and rarely are the more practical guns featured. Sorry for the opinion and it's not intended to offend anyone but good gosh when I see things like what's pictured in those two examples I can't help but wonder who or what they appeal too?

Ecramer
02-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I know this is odd -- but when I put in I suggested 7.26X54R (although I considered Krag and .303 as well). A chance to buy up and shoot all that sardine-can ammo at good prices.

Mk42gunner
02-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Personally, I would like to see a smaller framed single shot; something along the lines of a rook rifle. It probably wouldn't sell very well given today's "gotta have a high capacity mag or its worthless market", but still.....

Robert

Thin Man
02-18-2012, 09:53 AM
+1 for the smaller frame and lighter calibers! We have more than enough full size rifles and calibers on the market, plus all the discontinued "collectible" variants. This could bring us back to fun and convenience without the burden of larger is better. Bring out the smaller frames and assorted fun calibers, and I'm going to go "all in" on them.

Thin Man

pmeisel
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Let's face it, guys, us old farts already have a lot of guns. So they sell more new ones to youngsters that don't have as good taste as us old guys.

gewehrfreund
02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Let's face it, guys, us old farts already have a lot of guns. So they sell more new ones to youngsters that don't have as good taste as us old guys.

Now that I DO believe!:D

herbert buckland
02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Persoanally, I would like to see a smaller framed single shot; something along the lines of a rook rifle. It probably wouldn't sell very well given today's "gotta have a high capacity mag or its worthless market", but still.....

RobertI agree ,there is no small frame quality single shot on the market that I am aware of,I belive one would sell very well,I know I would buy one

TXGunNut
02-19-2012, 06:20 PM

That's a rather painful dose of reality, Paul. OTOH we all want a few more and can generally afford what we really want.

oldred
02-19-2012, 08:30 PM

You nailed it! When I see some of the new ray guns that are being sold today I just can't help but think WHY? Give me a nice piece of figured walnut for a stock, an octagon barrel and a lever and I couldn't be happier! But then I grew up in the backwoods of Kentucky going to a two room school with a pot belly stove and a coal pile outside for heat in the winter, heck we carried our drinking water in a bucket from a spring at a house about a half mile from the school. I had an old Stevens 12 gauge single shot when I was 12 years old and along with my home-made hunting knife and my dog I spent a lot of wonderful times roaming around those hills hunting everything from squirrels to Ginseng, so what does all that have to do with rifle styles? I guess it just gives a guy an appreciation for what a real gun is and what it's meant for. Sorry about the ramble but I just got to thinking and got carried away a bit I guess, dang I sure miss those times!

rollmyown
02-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Make mine a 375 Win!

badgeredd
02-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Personally, I would like to see a smaller framed single shot; something along the lines of a rook rifle. It probably wouldn't sell very well given today's "gotta have a high capacity mag or its worthless market", but still.....

Robert

I'd think there would be a very real market for such a rifle especially in pistol and light rifle cartridges. Of course a more moderate price would also enhance its appeal to many. Seems like such a piece in the $400-500 range should sell. I'd personally love to see something with better chambers too. These long throated chambers of many newer rifles are the pits.

Edd

2ndAmendmentNut
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I would like to be able to buy just the #1 action and stock and barrel it my self, the same goes for a 10/22 action.

bfuller14
02-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong,
I bought some AR's and AK's when obumer came on the seen.
I do not like them or there looks but when I saw what he would
do I decided to get them while I could.
I do love the wood on my favorite rifles. I bought what was available
at the time. Think back too late 2008 through 2009!

Regards,
Barry

Longbow53
02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
With the Import Winchester Highwalls...and there price! Ruger would do well to bring out the #3 again..American Made says it all, and quality. Pete

cuzinbruce
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Add a telescoping M4-style stock, vertical PG, forearm rails, fiber-optic sights (like Mossberg's hideous new lever gun), and maybe they'll bite. It took 40+ years to get Ruger to build a .44 Special revolver, and they figured they would never sell. Turns out they can't make them fast enough!

It seems to me that Ruger has been following the industry trends for the past 30 years or so, rather than innovating. To me, that's a sure way to go out of business.

Every year or so I 'tell the CEO' that I want a 5-shot Blackhawk in .480 Ruger - me and several other folks. I don't expect to ever see one from the factory, and I can't afford to have one built. Guess I'll have to buy a BFR rather than a Ruger.

If they were to reintroduce the #3, they'd figure out some way to jack it up. That, and they'd need to have at least one recall before the bloody thing would work right. Just MHO.

I appreciate your feelings about their product line. But they don't seem in any danger of going out of business. I have a few shares and their corporate results are outstanding. Strong financials. Beaucoup cash. They have NO debt. Pretty unusual for a large corporation these days. I am WAY ahead on the stock I own.

Bruce

jlchucker
02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Make mine a 375 Win!

I think I remember them making the No. 3 in this caliber. It would be really nice if they made them again.

Suo Gan
02-21-2012, 02:12 PM

There is a lot of truth to this I think. :grin:

Suo Gan
02-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Robert

Robert, That would be FINE by me! But I think it would take an act of Congress to even get them to bring the no.3 back out let alone a completely new rifle.

There is the the baby Sharps. I have looked at it in the past. It just surpasses my price per rifle limit. I bought a couple of Handi's last month. I do like them okay. My major issue with them is they look to be crafted and fitted by Afghanistan cave gunsmitties. One had to be sent back right away because the chamber was so rough it took a pair of pliers to extract the first fired shell. So I am somewhere in the middle, seems like $600 ought to be able to buy me a decent gun, one used for hunting, one that looks good, one that is indestructible, one I can throw in a scabbard and well, a little blue gone, no big deal.

nanuk
02-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I would LOVE a smaller framed No1 in 30-30.

Also, I recently bought a No3 barrel in 45/70. I don't care for the front sight, so thought I would get it shortened, and a nice ramp soldered on. this will go on my No1. I love the idea of a shorty 45/70 for cast hunting.

also, a 30-30 in the same configuration, would be nice too, with a 1/14 barrel, or something like that.

but any of those in a No3 would be OK also.

square butte
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd like to see a #3 or #1 in 25-20 and 32-20 WCF. For that matter I think the 77/357 is a natural platforn for the 32-20 and 25-20 WCF

BAGTIC
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM

Robert

Me too. Something about the size of the Martini Cadet. No. 3 stock was butt ugly and uncomfortable. The barrel band didn't help either.

Of course most LA rifles with forend caps look much better than barrel band models.

On one hand we are assaulted by monstrosities spawned by the pseudo-military look. Black, angular, strictly utilitarian with no attention at all given to grace. We can blame this on 'action' movies and video games where the most important design consideration is to be immediately distinctive.

On the other hand we have the nostalgia 'cowboy craze' where people demand gun features that our forbearers abandoned generations ago as being awkward, uncomfortable, and impractical as long as it maintains an 'antique' visual effect.

What happened to guns that are designed because they are both practical and attractive?

BAGTIC
02-21-2012, 11:23 PM
I would even appreciate a 'better' quality small frame tip-up. Most of my small game shooting is done with open or peep sights at close range.

I once had a very old Baystate [H&R] .410 shotgun that was made on a small gauge appropriate frame. Carrying it was about like carrying a Remington 66 .22 LR. I should never have sold it. A little small frame rifle in the 4-4.5 pound range would be great and still be heavy enough for .357, .256 Winchester, .30 carbine, .30-357 and other calibers based on the smaller pistol cases.

nanuk
02-22-2012, 01:26 AM
BAGTIC: I recently bought an Uberti Baby RB in 357. fits your parameters, but is a Rolling Block.

but is it puuuuurty

Mk42gunner
02-22-2012, 03:33 AM
I would even appreciate a 'better' quality small frame tip-up. Most of my small game shooting is done with open or peep sights at close range.

I once had a very old Baystate [H&R] .410 shotgun that was made on a small gauge appropriate frame. Carrying it was about like carrying a Remington 66 .22 LR. I should never have sold it. A little small frame rifle in the 4-4.5 pound range would be great and still be heavy enough for .357, .256 Winchester, .30 carbine, .30-357 and other calibers based on the smaller pistol cases.

That is what I had in mind, I don't care if its a falling block, rolling block, or break open; as long as it is quality.

I also think somewhere around $450-600 street price tops would be nice. I mean Savage seems to make money by selling bolt action rifles at less than $300 retail; surely some one can make a decent, maybe not perfect, but decent single shot for under $600????

Robert

pmeisel
02-24-2012, 12:09 AM
A value priced single shot would find a market, I think.... not a real big one, but steady.

I keep looking for bargain Ruger #1's... I passed on one last year, painted camouflage, for about $600.... I think I was dumb.

hickstick_10
02-24-2012, 12:25 AM
That is what I had in mind, I don't care if its a falling block, rolling block, or break open; as long as it is quality.

I also think somewhere around $450-600 street price tops would be nice. I mean Savage seems to make money by selling bolt action rifles at less than $300 retail; surely some one can make a decent, maybe not perfect, but decent single shot for under $600????

Robert

Pick one, you cant have both.

Jack Stanley
02-24-2012, 11:02 AM
I had a Ruger number three chambered in .223 that would not shoot to the same spot two days in a row :sad: It was accurate enough to do what I expected of it on a daily basis but it was not something I'd trust unless I'd sighted it in that very day . I liked the style of the carbine but I really wasn't looking for a do-it-yourself kit to make it work like it should have before it left the factory .

If they ever get it together , I'd be open to the idea of a 30-30 , 30-40 or something like a 32-20 . The package just seems right for it .

As for Savage I saw three model 219 rifles chambered in 30-30 at the last show . Priced between $350 and $550 none was nice enough to justify a new price . They all were strapped shut so I couldn't tell if the lockup was tight . A new rifle like that would be nice but I'd settle for a tight used one . I suppose as long as Ruger and Savage are busy making money hand over fist with plastic guns they really don't need to concern themselves with stuff we'd like to buy .

Ya know I can visualise an octagon barrel on a number three , nice idea !

Jack