PDA

View Full Version : 7mm soup can loads?

jhalcott
03-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I am about to start loading this bullet in some 7mm cartridges and would like some recipes if you don't mind sharing. The calibers are 7TC/U ,7Br,7-30 Waters and 7IHMSA handguns .I also intend to try it in the 7-08 and 280 remington rifles.
Obviosly this will be at least a full summer trial. I hope to use this bullet on a deer in the fall while hunting in Maine. I hope it is heavy enough for the job. If not I have the 168 fngc RCBS mold also. That one is a PROVEN deer getter!

35remington
03-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I can only speak about the 7-30 Waters right now, as I worked up some loads for a friend who wanted to use it for the close range whitetail hunting at our deer hunting "oasis" not too far from town. Family obligations prevent him from shooting as much as he'd like.

He has a lot of H4895, and it didn't seem like a bad choice for midvelocity deer loads.
The bullet is rather long for the very short neck of the Waters, but I had to ignore bullet protrusion below the neck and seat to the rifle's preferred length to avoid hard contact with the rifling origin.

Starting at 23 grains, I went upward from there. The initial loads gave 1575 fps and were fireforming Winchester .30-30 cases at the same time. After getting a good supply of cases in this way, I bent the throttle a little. A velocity of 2300 fps proved to be too much for accuracy (mebbe blaming the bullet protrusion thing-or not-alloy might be contributing) and I backed down to 27.5 grains, for a velocity in the vicinity of 2150 fps. Incidentally, comparing powder forward/powder rearward positioning revealed velocity swings of nearly 200 fps. The loads thereafter got dacron to prevent these velocity variations, and it's worked out well so far.

Alloy is wheelweight/smidge of tin, and I figure I've pretty much duplicated the 25-35, certainly adequate for close range deer hunting. Circumstances prevented my friend from using on deer last year, but it's on deck for next year. The bullet at just under 140 grains may be getting slightly on the small diameter/light side for some to recommend it, but I have had good luck on whitetail with cast lead at such speeds. In our hunting spot 60 yard shots would be a long opportunity.