PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba in Lithi-Bee?

evil5826
02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Recipe posted by Ammosmith on his forum.

1 lb yellow beeswax
13 oz White Lithium grease
1 1/2 tablespoon carnuba wax (optional)
1/4 pound paraffin wax

Now to my question:
For the Lithi Bee..... Why add the carnauba wax? What does it do to the current mix? And will Johnson's paste Wax suffice for carnauba in the lithi bee?

If any one has any idea please let me know.

One more thing will all this content fix into a 4 cup pyrex or should it go into a 8 cup pyrex for double boiling. No real way to convert mass into volume with a calculator... at least not with my brain.

runfiverun
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
it helps lay down a shine in the bbl.
it also adds hardness to the lube.
the jpw has carnuba in it, it also has solvents,and paraffin.
you'll want to heat the solvents out of the jpw or your lube will change over time.
if you use the jpw you may want to reduce the amount of paraffin slightly also.
this lube will need a heater or be used as a pan lube.
i'd go with the bigger 8 cup anyways.

evil5826
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. The Carnuba wax is optional so I won't have to use the JPW. However by melting all of this stuff together with the JPW, would the solvents from the JPW burn out?

Milsurp Junkie
02-15-2012, 04:08 PM
It is possible to boil the solvents out, but it would take a while if mixed with everything else. Removing the solvents first would be a much quicker way to do it.

leftiye
02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
I'd use lithium grease with Moly disulphide. Carnauba with moly sounds like a "space age" coating for barrels to me. A synthetic oil or grease thrown in completes the picture

randyrat
02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Here is a lube I played with for a while, I never had a chance to actually shoot it or use it. I gave it away and let others try it. I never heard anything bad about it and it seemed like it would work. Someday I may actually use it and experiment with it.

Here is the recipe for "Billy bob clean bore lube" with
Carnauba added- all by weight.

I tried to mimic a lube called "mirror lube" that is not made anymore, for someone else.

.............2 ounces High temp lithium molly grease
..............6 oz beeswax
..............1/8 to 1 teaspoon of carnauba wax flakes
..............1/2 teaspoon of Lanolin

Take the recipe and make a miracle lube out of it. Seems someone suggested cutting back on the beeswax a bit. Like 4 to 2 instead of 6-2

Carnauba wax gets wasted much over 1 ounce per lb of bullet lube

runfiverun
02-15-2012, 10:24 PM
i do use white lith grease and add moly [but the moly i use is solid not in a grease]
i add carnuba red lube to up the melt temp of the lube and for a small amount of carnuba.

evil5826
02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Has any one used the recipe above before? And if so do you like it or do you prefer to Ben's Red?

Reload3006
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Here is a lube I played with for a while, I never had a chance to actually shoot it or use it. I gave it away and let others try it. I never heard anything bad about it and it seemed like it would work. Someday I may actually use it and experiment with it.

Here is the recipe for "Billy bob clean bore lube" with
Carnauba added- all by weight.

I tried to mimic a lube called "mirror lube" that is not made anymore, for someone else.

.............2 ounces High temp lithium molly grease
..............6 oz beeswax
..............1/8 to 1 teaspoon of carnauba wax flakes
..............1/2 teaspoon of Lanolin

Take the recipe and make a miracle lube out of it. Seems someone suggested cutting back on the beeswax a bit. Like 4 to 2 instead of 6-2

Carnauba wax gets wasted much over 1 ounce per lb of bullet lube
Randy does your carnuba wax flakes have any of the spirits in them that would need boiled out before adding to a lube ... assuming that the carnuba is for polishing the bore (what I want it for)?

DukeInFlorida
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
I can speak from experience. Randy's carnuba wax flakes are 100% pure carnauba wax. No volitiles. It's the real deal, as are all of Randy's products.

JPW is not even a close substitute for the real thing.

leftiye
02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Well said. Cain't be anywhere near to close.

randyrat
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Keep in mind, Carnauba wax is 2 times harder than beeswax.