PDA

View Full Version : Release agent for scope ring bedding?

Shooter6br
02-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Instead of lapping scope rings I use JB Weld. i used JP as a release agent. Was alittle disappointed( May not allow enought time to set in 62 degree workroom) i have used vasoline with good results Any thoughts? :bigsmyl2:

stubshaft
02-15-2012, 03:04 AM
I've had no problems with JP as a release agent. I've used PAM on occasion too.

number7tn
02-15-2012, 05:38 AM
dont know about scope rings but on a scope mount i used jb weld (first one i ever bedded) and used shoe polish on the reciever, worked great.
GOD BLESS

gzig5
02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
For several years now I have been using paste wax for bedding release agent. A lot of folks use clear Johnson paste wax and I'm using Renaissance brand. Put a couple of coats on and buff between coats. Don't use liquid car wax, but I think the paste style should work fine. I'd avoid using Vaseline because it might react with the epoxy and not let it harden correctly. It is also thicker than a couple coats of wax.

uscra112
02-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I used to do a lot of fiberglass work for my race bikes. Used Vaseline a few times without any problem, but fiberglass is generally polyester resin, which is different from JB Weld. The pros use a kind of modified alcohol that sprays on and dries to a very, very thin coat, then dissolves in a flash when you hit it with water. I got my supply from a pro who lived near me, so I never found out the trade name. We'd wax our molds with JPW, then use this stuff. Nothing ever stuck! It was so thin that it would reproduce sandpaper scratches if you'd left any in the mold.

This stuff: http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/pdf/release/PartallNo10.pdf

Larry Gibson
02-16-2012, 03:39 AM
LLA has worked very well for every bedding compound I've used including JB Weld.

Larry Gibson

rhbrink
02-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Never thought about LLA that would be a use for it. Kiwi Natural shoe polish works well too on every glass bed compound that I have tried.

MtGun44
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
polyvinyl alcohol works great. Brush or spray with an air brush and rinses off with
water.

Bill