PDA

View Full Version : Mosin floor plate latch

wallenba
02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
I watched a few videos about Mosins on youtube lately. One thing I noticed in a few of them was how easy their floor plates opened up. They seemed to just reach under there with one finger, and presto!
None of mine will open without a fight. I've even broke a finger nail once, and it takes two hands. I've thought about playing with the spring tension and grinding half the hook off the latch.
Has anyone dealt with making it easier on your Mosin?

plmitch
02-15-2012, 02:06 AM
No problem with mine. They both pop open very easy. Just lucky I guess.

Mooseman
02-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Only the worn ones open easy...If you use a loaded round to press the latch it is easier.or use the tool.

daengmei
02-15-2012, 09:14 AM
There are also several different types and that could be another cause for tight closing. I'll have to find that pic...it's a thumbnail so click for the bigger image.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/daengmei/th_Image-5500_8.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/daengmei/?action=view&current=Image-5500_8.jpg)
I'd have to get them out and look to be sure but I think the one on the left has a knurled spot on the outside of that hook, second one is smooth. The third and forth can't remember.

wallenba
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I have not looked at all of them real close. The one I fight with the most looks different from all of those above. It's close to the one second from the left, but points more straight down on the end. Maybe it needs to be bent out more. Being spring steel, it might break if I try that. Just have to live with it as a nuisance.

wrench
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I have had a few that were too loose, and spilled the cartridges out while I was shooting. I fixed them by giving the latch hook a little love tap with a hammer and punch.
If mine was too tight, I believe I'd try giving it a tap in the other direction. I haven't broken any.

daengmei
02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
wallenba, I will send you a couple to play with. PM an address. I have several I think extra.

wallenba
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
wallenba, I will send you a couple to play with. PM an address. I have several I think extra.

PM sent, thanks.

Lively Boy
02-21-2012, 09:47 PM
i loosened the screw that holds the latch and slid it down to loosen. worked good.