PDA

View Full Version : Lee bench plate kit

02-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Can't find anything with search function here.

Anybody got any advice about using one? Should I but the extra, metal plaate?
tia

fryboy
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
umm i havent tried the metal plate but i do own a couple three bench plates , to be fair i deal with alot of wood so cutting new blocks isnt a problem and i have made aluminum blocks to mount a few sizers on ( complete with a hole for the lyman cartridge heater ) best tech tips ? set the plate in and snug the screws ( all of them ) then tighten the front two then the rear two and then double check the front two again , some have reported drilling a hole and using a pin to make sure that the blocks dont come lose and slide out and that's also a decent tip . i didnt use bolts to attach mine, i countersunk the holes i was going to use and then used very large phillips screws , this way if i need a flat space i just remove the z-bars ( erm i also routed a inset to set the plates flush but that's just me ) you could make your own system much like this if you desired or if you have a steel topped table ( steel not sheet tin ) you could just buy the z-bars and drill and tap holes in your bench ( wish i had a steel topped bench !! lolz ) any decent 3/4" plywood can make spare blocks but the flat bottomed elevator bolts are harder to find , i actually ground a few common carriage bolt heads flat for a few ( pain but it does help if you're in a pinch for extra bolts ) hope any of that mite help

Colorado4wheel
02-14-2012, 09:31 PM
http://www.patmarlins.com/

I don't have a answer for you but I am going to suggest you look at the above link.

williamwaco
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
I have the Lee Bench Plate.

I do not use it for the loading press but for my Lyman 4500, my case trimmer, my priming tool, etc. I have four devices mounted to the wooden plates.

If I were going to mount my loading press, I would use the metal plate.