View Full Version : Wow

Fly
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
My home Black powder 50 Yards, the high shot is when my wife came & bugged
me while shooting.54 cal GPR

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0522.jpg

Omnivore
02-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Nice one! You'll have to tell us how many shots are there, 'cause I can't quite count 'em. And what load? I guess since you said it's a GPR it would be the slow twist?

docone31
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
How did you get Round Balls to keyhole?
Lookin good though.

Fly
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Well there is 5 shots, no kidding here.I guess what got me excided in this group
was my home made powder with a binder & not corned (pressed).People told
me over & over a binder powder is more powerful but it can't repete in a muzzle loader.

I 'm retired now & have alot more time to play with this stuff.I worked 22 years in R&D.
So this was a challenge.But YES it can be done.

Fly

Maven
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Excellent shooting and powder, Fly!

waksupi
02-15-2012, 02:11 AM
What binder did you settle on? I'll be trying a batch soon, and was going to try a bit of gum arabic.

Boz330
02-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Also how did you mix it. And did you run them over a chrono? Inquiring minds want to know.
I just never got the velocities I was looking for from the non-corned.

Bob

Fly
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Gum arabic makes the hardest grains.I use that & dexstin.The only things I did differant
then what we have talked about in the past is this.Of course ball mill the powder really
fine.

I wet the powder with about 20 % water & NO binder & sreened it & let it dry.Then I
balled milled one more time, but not near as long.It's hard to give you guy's milling times
cause I made my mill & it's much bigger than the Harbor frieght mills & does the job
much faster.

But after milling # two time I took & disolved 20% Dex in 80% hot water.It's hard to get
it to disolve in that little of water but it will (takes some time) & put in a spray botttle.

Waksupi I did that with Gum Arabic also but it try's to turn gummy after the water get's
about as much as it will take, but it will desolve even so, just a little more messy.Then
put it in a spray bottle & mist it just good enough to granulate it though the screen.

The meal powder has already asorbered the KNO-3 from the first screening the binder
being this thick is just glueing it together.I work in with the binder in a zip lock bag (less mess).

Then screen & granulate.After it dry's I have a real fine mesh flower sifter I got at
Wal-Mart, don't know what mesh it is, but there next to the 16 mesh ones on the same
shelf.

Any way I sift any small grains out of the powder then sift again threw the 16 mesh sifter
one more time.You will almost find some larger grains most of the time.A fireworks maker
friend put me on to this.

I only took it a step farther by the exstra sifting.My friend says you are only using about
2% binder, doing it this way.You will still have alot of binder solution left to use next time.

No Boz I did not chrono this batch.But I can tell you I can tell you it's very, very fast powder.
It's raining here to day, so I can't chrono till it stops, but I will & get back to you guy's.

Fly PS clean that spray nozzle after

Lonegun1894
02-15-2012, 02:11 PM
How did you get Round Balls to keyhole?
Lookin good though.

Come on, we all know that you keyhole a round ball by either not using enough velocity or using a ball that is too heavy to be stabilized by the rate of twist of the firearm used. There is no other way to make a round ball go through the target sideways.
:kidding:

By the way, great group. I've been following these threads and need to quit reading and start making. Thanks for helping educate me.

Fly
02-15-2012, 02:31 PM
There is no other way to make a round ball go through the target sideways.

Now I like that (WINK) Longgun.
Fly

Boz330
02-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Is this done with the Cedar charcoal?

Bob

Fly
02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Black Willow!PM me if you want some Bob.

Fly

Milsurp Junkie
02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
For the guys that want to use Dextrin. It is made from heating corn starch, low and slow until it is nice and brown. Just like making a roux, but without the oil. Fly, can you post or send some pictures of your ball mill? I take it you are using lead balls? What size, and are they hard or soft lead?

para45lda
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
That's AWESOME!!!

I have got to get off my butt and work on this. Been thinking about it awhile just never did it.

Good on you.

Wes

Fly
02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Funny thing just happened.I just tryed to post a pic of my ball mill from Photobucket
& it's stored on my album but will not give let me have excess to it.Is this a Gov big brother
thing.There is nothing illegal here.I never had a problem before.

But there are many homemade ball mills on you-tube.I will keep trying though.

Fly

Boz330
02-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Funny thing just happened.I just tryed to post a pic of my ball mill from Photobucket
& it's stored on my album but will not give let me have excess to it.Is this a Gov big brother
thing.There is nothing illegal here.I never had a problem before.

But there are many homemade ball mills on you-tube.I will keep trying though.

Fly

Might have been to big a file.

Bob

Fly
02-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Might have been to big a file.

Bob

Nope! no way.It is loaded in my album just fine.It's when I try & scroll down
to the pic's IM what ever # it comes up with, Internet Exsporer is not working?
Don't know whats up with that.But I'm a ole guy that don't know **** about
this kind of stuff.
\
Fly[smilie=b:

wgr
02-16-2012, 01:46 AM
FLY, i have a .54 GPR. flint lock and it will do about 2.5/3 in. at 100yards. they really shoot

Fly
02-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Well my photo bucket seems to work now.This ball mill can do two drums at once.
the drums are 6" ID.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0523-1.jpg

Boz330
02-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Fly, what kind of lathe is that? I started my working life at LeBlond in the apprentice program. That looks real close to being a Leblond without the Servo shift. Hard to tell though, it is a little fuzzy.
Man I would sure like to have an old LeBlond. I committed to buy an old 1897 American that was converted to an electric motor, just need to figure out how to get it home.

Bob

Never mind I see that it is a Royal. The eyes aren't what they use to be.

Milsurp Junkie
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Are you using lead balls for your milling media?

Fly
02-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Fly, what kind of lathe is that? I started my working life at LeBlond in the apprentice program. That looks real close to being a Leblond without the Servo shift. Hard to tell though, it is a little fuzzy.
Man I would sure like to have an old LeBlond. I committed to buy an old 1897 American that was converted to an electric motor, just need to figure out how to get it home.

Bob

Never mind I see that it is a Royal. The eyes aren't what they use to be.

Webb,Royal same thing & were Leblond copys.Thats why I bought this
lathes because it was made from Leblond desigh.

Fly

Fly
02-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Are you using lead balls for your milling media?

Well some of it is.I also cut up some 303 SS tubing to 1", (no sparks) & filled
them with hot lead.Then after they cooled I pressed a ole lathe dead
center in each end to swedge the lead tighter & peen the edges of
the tube.

That keeps the lead from wearing out.SS ball,s work best but are $$$$.

Fly[smilie=f:

Boz330
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Webb,Royal same thing & were Leblond copys.Thats why I bought this
lathes because it was made from Leblond desigh.

Fly

So my eyes aren't as bad as I thought. I worked the 13"/15" and 17"/19" assembly area for several months. That was 1965'.
My Maternal Grandfather was a machinist there in the 30s and 40s.

Bob

Fly
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Yea we ole school guy's are a dieing breed sad to say.It is getting alot harder
to find ole school machinist.Everything is CNC which is good for production,
but bad for alot of R&D.

I ran a R&D machine shop for 22 years, & had a heck of a time finding good
machinist, just button pushers.Times have changed, for sure.

Fly

Longwood
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Gone are the blacksmiths, welders, and machinests.