PDA

View Full Version : brand new 94AE .44 Rem Mag

SandSquid
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I acquired the safe queen... Other than the factory proofs, it has NEVER been shot. So now my .44 Mag Single Action Revolver (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=142748) has a big brother!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40677&d=1328889071

The previous owner was somewhat dismayed with my intent to change the fact that it was un-fired, but the money and rifle had already changed hands, and he didn't want to pay the $100, more to buy it back ;-)
Perhaps, someday I'll replace the black plastic with wood.....

What would be the recommendations, without waiting for a certain planet convergence, sacrificing my pinky-toe, burning smudge, or other voodoo new-barrel/gun break-in procedures.

I do want to treat this gun right from the beginning and ensure it lasts long after I depart this realm, and is equally capable of dispatching a deer as a zombie hoard at 100 Yards.

To that end, I've been thinking of giving it a steady diet of lead so, I have acquired:
(250) .44 Magnum virgin Star-Line brass
(250) .44 Special virgin Star-Line brass
(500) "709" .44 Cal-250gr. Keith style hard cast lead boolits
(500) Winchester WLP Primers
lots of left-over's of Lil'Gun, Unique & Universal

I do also have several boxes of Hornaday XTP's and Sierra Power Jackets... but I'm thinking of saving them for the 12/12/12 shoot-out

For my Specials I'm thinking:
250 Grain Keith over 7gr of Unique
250 Grain Keith over 5gr of Universal

For the Magnums:
250 Grain Keith over 22gr Lil'Gun
250 Grain Keith over 7gr of Universal
250 Grain Keith over 10gr of Unique

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
squid: You have it pretty much sussed out.

I would add some Lyman 429244 GC's to the mix just so you could push up to 1800fps if desired and maybe some H110 powder to push it there.

I think you're good for just about anything that steps out in front of you.

No need for factory loads in a .44 unless you have no other options. You do.

Randy

Larry Gibson
02-14-2012, 09:03 PM
You will probably find that top end magnum velocity loads with PB'd cast bullets that shoot well in the revolver do not shoot well in the rifle, or as well as we'd expect. Based on my experience with several such rifle handgun combinations over the years taht it's best to develop the accuracy load for the rifle staying within handgun loading data. Then just accept that load in the revolver. Such accuracy loads for the rifle almost always shoot well in the revovlers. The reason for this is top end magnum revolver loads push the plain based cast bullet too fast for best accuracy. A good GC'd cast bullet such the mentioned 429244 will do very nicely for magnum level loads in both the revovler and the rifle.

Larry Gibson

starmac
02-15-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm just curious, what does it say on the bottom of the grip frame of that dragoon.

SandSquid
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm just curious, what does it say on the bottom of the grip frame of that dragoon.

The revolver is an Arminius (H.Weihrauch made in W. Germany) .44 Magnum
My father purchased it sometime in the late 70's near as anybody can recall.

starmac
02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Well I guess I should have put my glasses on. lol I basically looked at that case hardened frame, and just assumed it was a virginia dragoon. I have one from the mid 70's but yours looks a lot cleaner.

TXGunNut
02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Dunno why some folks keep a gun like that for collector purposes, worked out great for you, though. Plastic looks good enough to me but I'm betting the folks @ Boyd's have just what you're looking for.