PDA

View Full Version : cutting paper

bigted
02-14-2012, 03:11 PM
i am very new to pp'ing. the thing is that i have this idea already as to how to cut these patch papers a bit faster. when a kid we had a paper cutter in grade school that we used for crafts. it was a huge knife afair that hinged at the front and when lowered on the cutter portion would cut paper very fast in ribbons or whatever straight line needs we had.

so why wouldnt this sort of paper cutter work for making patch paper? the angles are all straight cuts and it occurs to me that when ribboned to the rite width then a diaganol hold should cut the slant when marked for length.

does anybody use this method or am i missing something? seems like this would speed up the tedious cutting around the edge of the template i bought.

so far...this is the most frusterating part of pp'ing to me. i ran scared from trying the wrapping but now that ive gotten my feet wet i see that the aprehension was ten times worse then the actual act itself...not rocket science after all....now if i can get these to shoot ill be a happy camper. i think that the casting of these slicks is way easier then the gg boolits and the wrapping is faster then the lubing of the gg boolits. now i need to experiment with the lube wad. as for the lube wads i dont expect it to be so difficult either.

just the paper cutting that has me going...think ill go to a stationary store today and look for a paper cutter.

Hardcast416taylor
02-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I also tried doing the paper cutter method as you described. To make things abit more concentric I made a master top sheet of the patches I wanted to cut. The thing that made me stop doing it this way was the fact that the cutter had a limit of 5 sheets capacity and the bottom few sheets would tend to shift position irregardless how I held them down or even stapled the sheets together along 1 side. So, now I make my master sheet of the patches I am doing, usually only need to make this once. I then run them thru my copier with the required patch paper. Finally I get out the good quality paper scissors that Office Depot has and spend a night cutting the patches off the copied sheets. This may seem slow, but it`s my way and the patches are more similar in shape this way.Robert

giz189
02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Look at Paul Matthews books The Paper Patch or 40 years with the 45-70. He has a good chapter on just that subject.

montana_charlie
02-14-2012, 08:03 PM
A fair number of patchers use guillotine-type paper cutters. Hardcast416taylor sounds like his needs sharpening.

Lie some others, I use a rotary paper trimmer ... specifically this one
http://www.factory-express.com/paper_cutters/Carl_RT-200deluxeProf/Carl_RT-200deluxTrimmer.htm
I cut all of the one inch strips, then chop off the ends at the desired angle. Each strip yields two patches, and the rotary trimmers will handle five or ten sheets at a time.

If you prefer to cut manually, but don't want to cut out each individual patch as a separate project, here is BrentD cutting patches in batches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM23a_tbE-M

His method can be improved upon with a rotary cutter used on a self-healing mat.
A kit like this could fill that need. It gives you a large and small cutter, but I find the small one to be sufficient.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=gsqvhc&xhr=t&q=rotary+cutter+and+mat&cp=21&qe=cm90YXJ5IGN1dHRlciBhbmQgbWF0&qesig=mwWMwP236XbuqQbL0KDFpg&pkc=AFgZ2tnPsiA4gZ7ltKKjRcSIn3FdOb3YpVW9G2FbgLCpsK MvwLQfDVNgBGkC2OP0rJS6shdLPwYeDjmGD4--wZm4xScZpzSEBw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp1306208096593038&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2775148488625441582&sa=X&ei=nifbTdbGJI2osAOHwo24Dg&sqi=2&ved=0CFgQ8wIwAg#

CM

Lead pot
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
This is how I cut my patches. I make a master and run it through a copier and make several copies for future use. I cut 15 sheets at one time and I get 26 patches per sheet or 390 total fron the stapled together sheets.
Ti takes longer to get the things set up then cutting patches about 20-30 minutes to cut and gets things put away again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leadpot/6881853303/