PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Plating Lyman Ram

Irascible
02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
I have a Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer which has developed a lot of play (of course) in the ram. I was wondering if anybody had ever chrome plated a ram to take up some of the slop?
Inversley, I was thinking maybe some slop is a good thing! Allowing the ram to self center?
Of course. I could just replace it with an RCBS which has more surface area to the ram and it's hole. Bound to wear less. But there is always the cost to consider.

02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Mine developed an excessive amount of play. I disassembled it and discover two things. First, the bolt that connects the ram to the linkage was broken. Second, the hole in the ram was elongated (perhaps, as a result of the broken bolt?).

I called Lyman and they shipped a new ram, at no charge, and I replaced all three bolts with Grade 8s.

dragonrider
02-14-2012, 12:50 PM
The Perfessor post a thread about how he repair a lyman 450 that had the same problem, They all have or will develop the same problem, hopefully he will post a link to it.

theperfessor
02-14-2012, 02:41 PM
I'll try and find the link and post it here after I get off work.

As far as the OP's question, I would bet chrome plating might be more expensive than just getting a new ram made up to fit. I know that there are no chrome platers near where I live. But I'm also betting the hole is oval, the cast iron/malleable iron sizer body is softer than the steel ram. I lined bored my 450 and put in a brass bushing. It's held in with JB Weld, but it can be replaced when it wears out. I had to turn ram down, but before I cut it I measured it and the wear was a lot less than the elongation of the hole in the press.

Having a little float isn't always a totally bad idea, but too much is never a good idea.

Irascible
02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Hay perfessor, is this yours?
http://www.usi.edu/science/engineering/Lyman450/Lyman450LuberRebuild.htm
Anyway, it's the Chinese cast iron that is worn, not the ram. Lyman wants $120 for a new casting. $44 more for a new RCBS at this moment in time.

theperfessor
02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
That's it. The forces acting on the ram/hole interface will cause the hole to enlarge in the front to back direction faster than side to side.

If I were to make my own luber I would have a threaded or collared bushing that could be replaced when needed. And I'd probably use pre-plated hydraulic cylinder rod in a standard size for a ram.

There is a sticky in this subforum by Buckshot showing his solution. Worth reading.

Buckshot
02-16-2012, 02:20 AM
.............If Lyman (or RCBS who makes the better sizer) wanted to make them what they SHOULD be, they'd hard chrome the ram and run it in a silicone bronze bushing. The front strut rods (7/8" OD) in a 87 Chevy Celebrity of ours had it's front struts changed out at 178,000 miles with ZERO wear on them. The rods that is, as the shocks were toast :-) I'd say that was a couple lifetimes of up and down for a lube-sizer.

................Buckshot