PDA

View Full Version : Need lube help!!

sharpshooter81
02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Im starting to cast my own boolits....ONLY ONE PROBLEM.....dont know what to use for lube:?: The Lee Alox/Beeswax up here in Canada is about 8 bux a tube:groner:.....I plan to pan lube my 45/70 boolits and would probably need a bunch of tubes to melt to get the job done, and didnt really wanna spend that kind of money. I would like to make my own lube but again, alot of the typical ingredients are hard for me to find up here, I wouldnt even know where to begin to look for beeswax in Nova Scotia lol. Does anybody have a simple lube recipie that would be good to use on 45/70 and 30-30 loads? Any suggestions on where I might start to look for ingredients? Thanks in advance for any and all input!! :-)

41 mag fan
02-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Look in the vendors secdtion at Randyrat. Best lube i've found is Bens Red. But I use a lubesizer.

hiram
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I use Emmert's lube for pan lubing.

50% beeswax,
40% white Crisco (like Mama used to make biscuits with) and
10% canola cooking oil.

To that I've added about 6-7% anhydrous lanolin. The lanolin is a
good high temp, high pressure lube and it's sticky. It helps the lube stick to the
bullets, and helps make it better for pan lubing.

sharpshooter81
02-14-2012, 12:11 PM
where do you get lanolin?....like I said before, I live in Nova Scotia and it seems like some of this stuff is hard to get a hold of up here.....maybe I just dont know where to look

Reload3006
02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
where do you get lanolin?....like I said before, I live in Nova Scotia and it seems like some of this stuff is hard to get a hold of up here.....maybe I just dont know where to look

do you have health food vitiman stores? they are a good source for lots of your lube supplies, Ebay Candle making supplies. hobby stores in the candle making section is a good source Soap making suppliers are a good source for both Bees wax and lanolin. Your local pharmacy can probably get you Lanolin or Castor Oil.

Again Randy Rat has a lot of supplies But dont know if he ships to Canada.

QuickRick
02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
White label lubes at lsstuff.com offer several very effective lubes at prices that are hard to beat. He (lar45 on this forum) will even send you free samples for the asking. BAC is my favorite white label lube but all of his lubes get grand reviews. There are many excellent lube recipes floating around but you will have to collect two or more ingredients for any of them. Three parts beeswax to one part Husqvarna XP semi synthetic two stroke oil is said to replicate Bullshop Speed Green, a lube which also garners grand reviews. It would be an easy one to put together if you can come up with the beeswax & Husqvarna XP... Good luck & God Bless....

williamwaco
02-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Tumble them in Lee Liquid Alox.

It is a LOT less work.
It uses a LOT less lube.
One 4 ounce bottle should do at least 1500 or 2000 bullets.
One 4 ounce bottle will do at least 3000 230 grain. .45acps

Next look at White Lable

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html

Xlox is exactly the same thing and you don't have to pay for the "Brand Name".

I have used both the LLA and the Xlox. They are identical. They are really good.

See:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

for test results.

randyrat
02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
where do you get lanolin?....like I said before, I live in Nova Scotia and it seems like some of this stuff is hard to get a hold of up here.....maybe I just dont know where to look I sell Lanolin for $9/lb + shipping and I will ship it anywhere in the world. I'll have more Lanolin in a week or so..In between orders right now.
I also sell lube TAC#1 melting temp is 150 degs at least...It is not a hard lube it rather soft and can be used in a lube sizer without heat unless you live in my part of the country. Normal temp 70-80 degs F you'll be fine with out a heater.
Yes I will ship to Canada....
I can't ship the "Lube making kit" to you because I'm not providing a MSDS sheet to expose all my ingredients.
The final product is fine to ship anywhere in the world.
Shipping to Canada is around $13-$14 for up to 3 lbs I recommend the bulk, it's cheaper and can't be destroyed by "customs" agents[smilie=1: Makes their day when they can ruin stuff, they should all be handcuffed and beaten until their attitude changes.

randyrat
02-14-2012, 01:36 PM
It is shipped to Canada with all the proper paper work at no extra cost...It is called Wind Dixie beeswax base machine lube.

slide
02-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I can vouch for randyrat's lube. We pan lubed some 38 wadcutters and 45 acp. Worked great. One thing that helped was Buckshot's kake kutters. Made the job a lot easier.

sharpshooter81
02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
I can get some beeswax candles, would this do to make my own lube?

mdi
02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Check out the sticky "Just the facts...". You can find lube formulas made with mostly household items mixed with beeswax; Crisco, tallow, olive oil, vaseline, paraffin, nipple cream (for lanolin). Or from your garage; STP, Dextron ATF, Lithium auto grease, 2-cycle motor oil, Marvel's Mystery Oil, Johnson's Paste Wax, etc. There are a lot of easy 2 or 3 component recipes. One of my favorites right now is beeswax softened with synthetic 2-cycle motor oil. You can google "carnauba wax", "lanolin" suppliers for online purchases if you want some for your lube (or save the red wax seals from Maker's Mark Bourbon). On occation I've used things not normally associated with shooting as bullet lube; Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protectant, Chapstick (low velocity .38s, sloppy, but it worked), and Catapillar Dry Lube (boom/outrigger lube). I don't know about shipping xlox to Canada (I think I read somewhere it's considered "Hazmat" and can't be shipped there), but if you can get some that's pretty good all by itself too...

Bouv
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
For my first experiments with cast bullets and black powder in my Sharps .45-70 I use a recipe from BPCR.net:
40% beeswax
30% conola oil
30% lanolin
They say, this looks and feels a lot like SPG.
For me it works fine and I use it for the 360 Grain bullets for my .454 Casull. It works, no leading and a good smell of beeswax.

randyrat
02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
I can get some beeswax candles, would this do to make my own lube?

Yes it will work for sure, if you mix the beeswax candles with Vaseline..Mix small batches and keep track of the amounts until you find the right brew for you. You can also add some Alox to the mix.
Example;
60% beeswax 40% Vaseline= Too hard, just add a little more Vaseline

Bullet lube is second to Bullet Fit/groove and loading technique

sharpshooter81
02-14-2012, 06:08 PM
can you tumble lube boolits for 45/70.....i thought i read somewhere that this dosent work so well because the loob grooves are so big.....i dunno, just askin

largom
02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Check this forum for Felix World Famous Lube [FWFL]. I have tried a lot of different lubes, some were good, some were bad. Using FWFL I get no leading and it gave me the smallest groups. The ingredents are available from forum members or at many drug stores.

Larry

largom
02-14-2012, 06:18 PM
can you tumble lube boolits for 45/70.....i thought i read somewhere that this dosent work so well because the loob grooves are so big.....i dunno, just askin

You can stand your boolits up in a container and then pour melted lube in until the lube grooves are covered. Using a fired case, same caliber as your boolits, cut the head off and use the case to "cut" the boolits out of the lube. Called a cookie cutter.

Larry

MBTcustom
02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
can you tumble lube boolits for 45/70.....i thought i read somewhere that this doesn't work so well because the loob grooves are so big
That, my friend, is incorrect. I need only two lubes for all of my shooting, and they are both homemade and the instructions are free on this site.
They are: FWFL and 45/45/10
I lube my boolits with 45/45/10 only up to 1400fps
1400fps and up get a gas check
1800fps and up to 2600fps get a gas check and FWFL
I lube [I]all my boolits with 45/45/10 first. It acts like a sizing lube if I am installing gaschecks with the Lee push through sizers.
FWFL sticks just fine even though there is a coat of 45/45/10 on there first.
45/45/10 is amazing. You cant hardly even tell that it is there, but it works very,very well. I have used it on an old Lyman design that has only one big lube groove (358318) and pushed it to 2000 fps with only traces of leading. That's why I put the cutoff point at 1800fps.
Also, when you make 45/45/10, it makes the lube stretch further. Not only does it double the amount of lube that you originally had, but it takes only a fraction of the amount that you would be using had you used LLA alone. Usually, five drops will lube 100 boolits, and that's putting it on kinda thick. Its more of a varnish than a traditional lube. Really amazing stuff.

williamwaco
02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
That, my friend, is incorrect. I need only two lubes for all of my shooting, and they are both homemade and the instructions are free on this site.
They are: FWFL and 45/45/10
I lube my boolits with 45/45/10 only up to 1400fps
1400fps and up get a gas check
1800fps and up to 2600fps get a gas check and FWFL
I lube [I]all my boolits with 45/45/10 first. It acts like a sizing lube if I am installing gaschecks with the Lee push through sizers.
FWFL sticks just fine even though there is a coat of 45/45/10 on there first.
45/45/10 is amazing. You cant hardly even tell that it is there, but it works very,very well. I have used it on an old Lyman design that has only one big lube groove (358318) and pushed it to 2000 fps with only traces of leading. That's why I put the cutoff point at 1800fps.
Also, when you make 45/45/10, it makes the lube stretch further. Not only does it double the amount of lube that you originally had, but it takes only a fraction of the amount that you would be using had you used LLA alone. Usually, five drops will lube 100 boolits, and that's putting it on kinda thick. Its more of a varnish than a traditional lube. Really amazing stuff.

Goodsteel is absolutely correct. You can lube literally any bullet succesfully with LLA.

sharpshooter81
02-14-2012, 10:03 PM
I think I am going to get the 100% beeswax candles and make a batch of Ben's Red....it sounds simple and I know I can get all that stuff here after I melt the beeswax candles down

Forrest r
02-15-2012, 04:21 AM
You can't go wrong with the Ben's Red. I made a small batch of it to try & found it was super easy to make, easy to apply, stuck to the bullets with no problem & left my barrels lead free and clean with a beautiful star on the crowns of my barrels.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to clean my barrels after that test run with the Ben's Red lube. I used a T/C contender (44mag) & a 1911 (45acp) to test the lube. It took a wet patch with hoppe's #9 & a couple of dry patches to clean them. That was it, a couple of patches, I was extremely impressed to say the least.

That sold me on Ben's lube, after cleaning those barrels I went outside & made a double batch of lube & have never looked back. 100+ pounds of bullets for the 44's, 38's & 45's later, I'm still smiling.

cajun shooter
02-15-2012, 09:22 AM
The lube changes if you shoot any Black Powder. Don't know if it's for sell where you live though.

Pa.guy
02-15-2012, 09:55 AM
I am cosidering using toilet base wax rings for a major component in my lube formula, here in Soth Carolina USA it costs $1.48 ( ring with no plastic inner ring ). They are easy to open in the store to take a look see. LMK what you think.
Pa Guy

Reload3006
02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
I am cosidering using toilet base wax rings for a major component in my lube formula, here in Soth Carolina USA it costs $1.48 ( ring with no plastic inner ring ). They are easy to open in the store to take a look see. LMK what you think.
Pa Guy

I have used them In the past they used to be made of Beeswax but now are a polycrystalline wax. They certainly are inexpensive enough but I dont think they will give you any benefit for a bullet lube ingredient. At least they have not for me.

MBTcustom
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I heard that toilet rings make a crappy ingredient for boolit lube. ;)
Seriously, you should take Randyrat up on some of his beeswax. Go and see how much the actual wax weighs in one of those toilet rings. Figure out what you are actually paying per Lb. and randys rates start making all kinds of sense. Besides you get a quality product that was intended for use in boolit lube, and it will not have any other waxes added to help it work for some other purpose.

williamwaco
02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
I think I am going to get the 100% beeswax candles and make a batch of Ben's Red....it sounds simple and I know I can get all that stuff here after I melt the beeswax candles down

Good Grief Charlie Brown !

Don't buy candles and pay manufacturing and retail markup.
You can buy beeswax in any quantity right here on this site for much less than commercial candles.

Check out the swapping and selling forum

( And no, I don't get a commission. I am just a devout tight wad.)