PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about making lubes

contender1
02-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I've scoured the many excellent posts here about making lubes. Lots of good stuff about recipies, lube molds, hows & whys on just about everything.
Except;,,,,,,,,,,,
Has anybody posted a step by step method of HOW to melt & blend these ingredients to actually make bullet lube?
Do you use a double boiler? Do you use a glass or metal pot? Temps required? (I've read about the different melting temps of some stuff.)
I guess what I'm looking for is a beginners step-by-step guide on actually melting the stuff. Did I miss a post about this somewhere?
If not, could someone post a simple (hopefully) guide as to how to do this?

Reload3006
02-14-2012, 11:49 AM
use a heat source. Personally I like a double boiler. its really not hard for example Dar lube one of the easiest to make get a pound of paraffin wax put it in your double boiler pan and heat until the paraffin is melted (I do not know the temperature and it doesn't matter) after the wax is liquid add your pound of Vaseline stir until its all dissolved and liquid also. add your 4 table spoons of RCBS case lube or STP OIL Treatment. Stir until dissolved.
Now either pour into molds or just turn off the heat source and you have bullet lube.

Lithibee
Take a pound of bees wax do the same as with paraffin heat in double boiler until melted again I don't know the temperature after the bees wax is melted add about a pound of Lithium grease .. I like the white marine grade stir it in until its all blended its not really going to melt but it will blend you may or may not get the entire pound of grease in your lube add more grease for softer lube less for harder. trial and error.

runfiverun
02-14-2012, 03:37 PM
you can melt a lot of lubes in crock pots too i use a microwave.
short time settings and sneak up on them melting.
when i make my rifle lube i use a potpourri thingy i got for 50 cents.
i do have to heat the inner thing but it makes a great holder while i use the blender in it.
a lot of here just use what we have or find to melt lube in...

fredj338
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I bought a small/cheap 1qt crockpot. On high it does a good job of melting BW w/o burning it. Then add the other stuff. Then I pour it into a pyrex cup & then into individual molds for my Star. I could pour it directly, but haven't found something I like better than WhiteLabel CR.

mdi
02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
I've used a hot plate and pan to heat/melt lube stuff, but I went very slowly. It's easy to get beeswax too hot and ruin it so I go slow. Normally though, I use a double boiler set up. 'Cause I mix in small batches most of the time, I have a pyrex measuring cup, 4 cup size, and set it in a pan of water. Oh, I start with the beeswax and when liquid add the other ingredients...

DukeInFlorida
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
I toss the ingredients in a quart sized mason jar, and nuke it on high for 10 minutes in the microwave oven. Melts everything to a wonderful thin liquid. Stir well to mix products. Allow to cool. Use as needed.

I re-melt the jar when I need to refill the lubricizer, and just pour it in directly to the reservoir. When cool, you can lube as usual. No need to buy hollow sticks.

Springfield
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
I use an old electric coffer percolator. Gets plenty hot enough and comes with a pour spout. Just make sure you watch it or it can burn.

Wolfer
02-16-2012, 11:42 PM
I use a small coffee can ( about a quart? ) I have some holes poked in it, set a small candle inside and set a small pot on top. It takes quite awhile to melt but I just load some ammo while I wait.

My old lube was a wax toilet bowl ring ( new, not used! ) and a cake of parrifin. Worked great in my low velocity stuff and was cheap and easy, just like me.

geargnasher
02-22-2012, 03:31 PM
We use what we have, can scavenge, and won't get us divorced!

I use either a 1-quart Pyrex saucepan or a 2-quart stainless-steel pot, both from garage sales, and an open-coil hot plate. I have to pay attention and am often lifting the pan off of the coils as the temperature spikes, but it works. A closed-coil plate might work better.

One of the most important lube making devices I have is a large candy thermometer with dial face and clip that allows it to mount to the rim of the pan, I think I paid $4 for it at a local hardware store some years ago, very handy tool. When you get one, check the calibration with boiling water and compensate for your altitude.

Gear