PDA

View Full Version : is this the right mould?

jthomastreadwell
03-16-2007, 05:27 PM
hi all. I dont know what I would do with out this form. you guys amaze me .there is so much info here. Want to cast my own bullets and I just got my first mold today from midway. I wanted to start with a 2 cavity but they were out.so I got a lee 6 cavity 430-310-RF cg . before I got started to cast I closed the mould and meaursed the cavitys. there were about .370 . is this a .44 caliber mould? do the bullets expand that much after they are droped? THANK YOU.

dubber123
03-16-2007, 05:41 PM
You probably measured the very inside, which is just the depth of the lube grooves. This is a gas check mold, so I think the only way to measure it is to open it and measure one half carefully. Measuring just at the rear will only measure the gas check shank. I have one of those molds, and mine casts at .430". Hope this helps.

STP
03-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Open a set of calipers to .430 first... and then place them on one of the cavities with the mould closed and the sprue plate opened. Voila`.... the base will measure 44 caliber!!
Make sure to read the instruction sheet for proper use. The 6-bangers are built a step above the single and cavity moulds, which need a bit of additional care in their use.
Have fun!

TDB9901
03-16-2007, 09:54 PM
My buddy has a mold for this boolit in a two cavity.. . says it shoots very well in his Red Hawk.

Have Fun!!

Tom

Buckshot
03-17-2007, 07:23 AM
................Yup, it's a 44 cal mould. Using a dial guestimator, open the blocks and VERY carefully using the ID measuring jaws, open them to span the very outtermost portion of a drive band as close to the block mating surface as possible. You should get a reading of something like .4315 to .432". What will determine what the boolit drops at, size (and weight) wise is your alloy, the block temp, your alloy temp, and how you get the alloy into the cavities.

...............Buckshot