PDA

View Full Version : 45-90 smokeless load

semtav
02-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Probably trying to overthink things, but I'm looking for a 45-90 load that will fill the case the most (not Trailboss) , for a project I'm working on.

????

Don McDowell
02-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Did you look to see what Hogdon's list on their web data.
Also Accurate had at one time data for the 45-90.

Chill Wills
02-14-2012, 12:08 AM
4831 There is data for it too that ends up compressed. Pressures are very low.
Load data depends on the bullet used.

Care to share your project details?

oldred
02-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately Hodgdon don't list any 45/90 smokeless loads but you can use 45/70 data to start. I too have searched for loads for the '90 with little luck but I have managed to come up with some powders that work well. Like you I wanted a powder that filled the case, or nearly so, and while 5744 is by far the most popular powder used in this cartridge it leaves a lot of air space (which apparently is not a problem). DON'T USE TRAIL BOSS! I know you already said "not Trail Boss" but I thought it worth mentioning in case someone else is considering it, a quick look at Trail Boss loads for the 45/70 will reveal this stuff produces very high pressures relative to it's very anemic velocities and it will greatly exceed BP pressures before producing anything more than pop-gun performance undoubtedly producing dangerous pressures before making a decent performing load in the 45/90 case. Check out Hodgdon's site in the 45/70 loadings and you will see what I mean, I fail to see why anyone would even consider Trail Boss in a big rifle case! Right now I am using H4895 and Varget, both fill the case nicely and produce low pressures with good performance but there are others also such as CW's suggestion. What are you shooting these in? What bullet?

semtav
02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm going to lap the bore of one of my rifles with puff-lon fire lapping ballistic filler and they recommend using a powder that fills the case best.