PDA

View Full Version : Smelting in Alum. or Cast Iron

slabbandit
02-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Is it safe to melt and flux lead in an aluminum pan on a fish cooker or should I use cast iron only?

454PB
02-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Read here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=143229

clodhopper
02-13-2012, 11:29 PM
The melting temprature of aluminum is not so far off when you get to the temp of melted lead. You pot is weakest right when it needs to be strongest.

Ole
02-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

Cast iron dutch ovens @ Harbor freight run about $20. Don't bang it with your spoon and you should be good to go.

slabbandit
02-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Got my eye on a new fish cooker that comes with an adjustable regulator and a cast iron dutch oven. I think I'll spend the money to be safe. Thanks

mdi
02-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Yep, aluminum ain't a good choice for smelting. Low melting temp. and it doesn't change color before it turns soft/liquid. An aluminum pot filled with 20 lb of molten lead may look good and strong just before it sags and spills hot lead everywhere...

Jim
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Got my eye on a new fish cooker that comes with an adjustable regulator and a cast iron dutch oven. I think I'll spend the money to be safe. Thanks

Smart man!

JohnFM
02-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Always been a problem working with aluminum.
When it reaches a certain temperature the failure is sudden.
Used to always hate to have to do weld repairs on heavy aluminum.
Stainless and cast iron is great for melting pots, but I've been known to melt a lot of it in old coffee cans.

letsmeltlead2693
02-15-2012, 12:05 AM
I would not use aluminum for lead. Aluminum is ok to use to melt pewter in, only if you use a hotplate and turn the hotplate on medium heat. I melt pewter with aluminum. Use cast iron or steel to melt lead in just to be sure. Lead melts more than 150F hotter than pewter. I use a steel pan to melt lead in.

WILCO
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Smart man!

Ditto for me!

midnight
02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
I too started with a 3lb coffee can. Next I got a 58,000 BTU fish boiler from BassPro and for a container used a large heavy aluminum pot about 12in in diameter & 8in high. It worked fine for a while but I didn't trust it. Next was a large cast iron dutch oven and I thought I was home free until I read about the cast iron cracking if you hit the pot with your ladle. I do that a lot. Now I use a cut off steel propane tank with a pour spout welded on from DCrockett. I think I've finally got it right. Save yourself some trouble and expense and go to the steel pot right away. Whether it's a propane tank or a steel pipe with a bottom welded on, go with a heavy steel pot.

Bob