PDA

View Full Version : I ordered a Mossberg 464

303british.com
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
with the straight stock. $390 CDN which is about the same in US dollars.

I contacted Mossberg and asked when they were sending some 464s north of the border. They replied that they should be here within a couple of weeks.

We have a store up here, SIR, that was bought out by Cabelas a couple of years ago. The straight stocked rifles are back ordered, but should be there soon. I sure hope that they weren't fibbing!

I also bought a Skinner Lo-Pro. It will probably be here before the rifle.

So what I need is for someone to post and tell me how well, or poorly, they shoot. I'll be using 165 gr. Magma cast bullets.

quilbilly
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I have had mine for two years and have shot nothing but cast. After hundreds of rounds my opinion is (fanfare) "from my cold, dead hands...." I bought my 464 as an inexpensive "truck rifle" not expecting much. I very quickly found it loves cast boolits and, even with the factory open sights, routinely hits small pill bottles at 100 yards especially since I got my new glasses last year and can see the those tiny bottles. Milk jugs are easy at 250 yards.
My load is 19.4 gr of 5744 and my boolit is the Lee 160 gr RNGC which gives an MV of 1550 FPS.
There is not much on the aftermarket such as peep sights to add to the rifle since there are not many around yet. If they made one in 44-40 or 45LC, I would be reaching for my wallet.

303british.com
02-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the response. I bought mine to use with cast bullets as well. The only bullet I will be trying (at first anyway) is a 165 gr. Magma cast bullet. It looks like this. Sorry about the size.

http://thebulletbarn.com/images/NewBullets/Rifle/03-30-RNFP-DLG-BB-165gr-lg.jpg

Thanks for posting the load. I will give it a whirl when the rifle gets here. I've been reading Richard Lee's recommendations on how to judge cast loads. I can't wait to try some!

All the best.

quilbilly
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Hope yours shoots as well as mine