PDA

View Full Version : Felix lube

lead chucker
02-13-2012, 03:04 PM
I made some Felix lube, second time I have tried it. This time I let it smoke a little more for the 1/2 hr of mixing constantly. The lube almost has the consistency of real stiff tar. Is it so posed to be like this it's real sticky. The first time imade it it was softer and less sticky. So what I'm asking is those of you that have made this stuff what are you looking for in consistency. If I have made this right what am I looking for. In the recipe a weight for the beeswax would be nice.

geargnasher
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
The original recipe Felix settled on calls for a certain volume of wax. My wax wasn't the same shape, so I figured the volume of the piece in the recipe and googled the specific gravity of beeswax to find how much it weighed. I came up with about seven ounces.

You don't give a very good description of what you did, but if you follow the recipe, you're supposed to heat and stir just the oils together just below the smoke point for at least half an hour, then add the soap and get it to dissolve, then reduce the heat and melt in the wax, then cool it almost to the point that it's starting to solidify on the edges and add your lanolin so it doesn't scorch. If you didn't do it like this, I can't tell you what you might have.

If done correctly, the lube is about like the NRA 50/50 Alox formulas, or perhaps a bit firmer depending on you beeswax. Another analogy would be to sculptor's clay.

Gear

stubshaft
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Mine comes out about the same as gear described.

"The lube is about like the NRA 50/50 Alox formulas, or perhaps a bit firmer depending on you beeswax. Another analogy would be to sculptor's clay."

lead chucker
02-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I followed the directions added the soap while it was real hot reduced the heat and added the beeswax turned heat off after wax was incorporated then added lanolin. I guess I will have to see what happens my wax was 3 1/4 x 3 1/4 x 1/12 probably too much wax. The lanolin is what makes it sticky right. It definitely sticks to the bullet.

kbstenberg
02-13-2012, 05:12 PM
L C I'm making my 3rd batch today an gears description is spot on. An If I can make it anyone can.
Today I'm going to try to make it a little softer than my last 2 batch's.
Kevin

lead chucker
02-13-2012, 05:49 PM
The stuff I made is kind of ply able it's kind of like real stiff sticky clay