PDA

View Full Version : Anyone load a wadcutter in 30 Carbine?

jblee10
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a 30 Carbine Blackhawk and would like to get a wadcutter mold for plinking and varmint control. I thinking of an Accurate Molds 31-100B. Anyone out there shoot that bullet or any other wadcutter in the 30 Carbine?

Le Loup Solitaire
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I tried a H&G #33 which is a flat nosed 130-140 grain that was really designed for the 30-30 or other 30 cal work. It was a bit heavy and when seated to an OAL that worked ok in the Ruger, the powder charge had to be reduced somewhat to avoid pressure issues. It was accurate at 25 yards, moderate recoil and cut clean holes in the target unlike the round noses that have to be used in the US Carb for feeding. You probably won't find an H&G #33 around but Ballisticast that took over H&G has the mold cutters; I don't know what the number might be..maybe 633? The use of wc's in the Ruger is practical and works well. LLS

ReloaderFred
02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I have a Magma mold for a cute little 100 gr. SWC in .32 caliber that I think would be ideal for the .30 Carbine in a Blackhawk. In fact, I've been looking for a good deal on a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, just so I could try it...........

Of course, I'd size them to .309" before loading....

Hope this helps.

Fred

rintinglen
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Years back, A friend and I developed a WC load for his Blackhawk. With factory loads, it was an ear splitter, and he wanted something that was less noisy for general fun shooting. He used Hornady swaged lead HBWC's, IIRC and we loaded them over a modest charge of Bullseye. I think he used 2.7 grains of Bullseye, but do not have the data anymore (if I ever wrote it down)and consequently, don't quote me. He flared the cases using a 32 Acp die and then seated the bullets so that they stuck out just a smidge, mimicking the look of a factory 38 wc. They shot straight, but hit way off from the factory stuff--high and left. Last thing I heard, before he moved back east, was that he was experimenting to get the POI's a little closer.

.5mv^2
02-14-2012, 11:51 PM
I have loaded some 165grain lead FN lead bullets in my blackhawk 30 carbine. Just worked up loads in 5744. It was just something fun to do. The round is heavy for the cartridge. I also shoot it in spire point 110 grain jacketed bullets. Just because I could.

I keep the bullet out as far as I can to fit the chamber. More room for powder and less pressure.