PDA

View Full Version : squirrel hunting

Fly
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Well I have not sqiurrel hunted since I was a kid.I thought I may take
my smoke pole out & get me some.We have a mess of gray & red
squirrels in these woods.

Which are better eating?The reds are much larger.

Fly[smilie=f:

Mk42gunner
02-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Which are better eating?

Young ones.

This time of year most squirrels are better suited to the stewpot than the frying pan. Season closes on the 15th here.

Once the end of May comes around and season opens again, it is hard to beat a skillet full of young tender squirrels, with biscuits and gravy.

Robert

Boerrancher
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I am with you there Robert. After about Oct every squirrel I get goes in a pot with a couple chicken flavored cubes and is boiled until it falls off the bone. The bones are removed and I make up a bunch of large thick egg noodles with some of the broth and cook them in the pot with the meat and broth. Squirrel and dumplings... better eating than chicken. Come the end of May til Oct, it is frying pan time for all the little bushy tails I can get.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Squirrel hunting is a much better teacher than deer hunting and requires more skills. It's not just a way to start off but a fine, productive sport to excel in.

Fishman
02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Boerrancher +1. Homemade squirrel and dumplings is tasty. Of course so is homemade rabbit and dumplings. . . and homemade chicken and dumplings . . . and well dumplings and anything.

StrawHat
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I have been spoiled by the fox squirrels we have around here. Good sized, much larger than the red, grey or black squirrels we alos have in the area. but the youngs ones are best. Maybe not better than a stew with dumplings but sarned good. And big enough you only need two or three for a decent meal.

Fly
02-13-2012, 04:17 PM
I have been spoiled by the fox squirrels we have around here. Good sized, much larger than the red, grey or black squirrels we alos have in the area. but the youngs ones are best. Maybe not better than a stew with dumplings but sarned good. And big enough you only need two or three for a decent meal.

Well that show,s how dumb I'm.I think the squirrels I called red's are indeed
Fox squirrels.But! you do think they are tasty, huh?

Fly;)

Boerrancher
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Fly there is a difference between a red squirrel and a fox squirrel. The fox squirrel is considerably larger and is marked up almost identical to a red fox. The red squirrel is about the size of a grey squirrel only a reddish brown color. I don't have red squirrels around in my area, but have seen a few in other parts of the country. Also the fox squirrels around here tend to stick to the edge, the area between the big timber woods and the fields. I see them all the time around the edges of bean and corn fields, after the harvest in the fall.

Best wishes,

Joe

Reload3006
02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Will Y'all stop it or invite me over for dinner .... .I miss Squirrel Dumplings :(

StrawHat
02-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Well that show,s how dumb I'm.I think the squirrels I called red's are indeed
Fox squirrels.But! you do think they are tasty, huh?

Fly;)

Merely a case of mistaken identity. Yep, I like them, unless I can get tame rabbit! But that is food for another thread.

Boz330
02-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I always thought that the Fox squirrels were much harder to clean and tougher eating. If I have a choice it is grays.

Bob

Fly
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Do any of you have a GREAT recipe??????

Fly

crappie-hunter
02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I quit shootin fox squirrels last year because I don't have the strength anymore to pull the hide off, guess I could hook them up to the electric hoist in the shop and pull the hide off,but we have a lot of Grays and I can still skin them so the fox's get a pass.

Fly
02-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I quit shootin fox squirrels last year because I don't have the strength anymore to pull the hide off, guess I could hook them up to the electric hoist in the shop and pull the hide off,but we have a lot of Grays and I can still skin them so the fox's get a pass.

Just asking, for as I said above I was a kid last time I went squirrel hunting.
But will this work on a Fox squirrel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dekMT72WcE&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsear ch_query%3Dhow%2Bto%2Bclean%2Ba%2Bsquerrel%26oq%3D how%2Bto%2Bclean%2Ba%2Bsquerrel%26aq%3Df%26aqi%3D% 26aql%3D%26gs_sm%3D12%26gs_upl%3D5109l42023l0l4568 3l33l32l8l15l23l0l681l2322l0.3.5.5-1l9l0&has_verified=1
Fly:drinks:

midnight
02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
I make squirrel pot pies. Simmer the meat til it falls off the bone. Cut meat into small pieces. I use about three squirrels for a 9in pie. Add a large can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. I usually add a can of corn or any leftover vegitable you may have. You can add spices, hot sauce or whatever turns you on if you want. Get those ready made pie crusts & put one in the pie pan, add squirrel mixture, and cover with the second crust. Bake about 350º about a ½ hr. Make pigs ears from the scraps of pie crust you trimmed for dessert.

Bob

Fly
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
I make squirrel pot pies. Simmer the meat til it falls off the bone. Cut meat into small pieces. I use about three squirrels for a 9in pie. Add a large can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. I usually add a can of corn or any leftover vegitable you may have. You can add spices, hot sauce or whatever turns you on if you want. Get those ready made pie crusts & put one in the pie pan, add squirrel mixture, and cover with the second crust. Bake about 350º about a ½ hr. Make pigs ears from the scraps of pie crust you trimmed for dessert.

Bob

Dam Bob, that does sound Really great & I thank you.

Fly:bigsmyl2:

Marvin S
02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Watch the youtube video on how to clean a squirrel. It is hands down the best way and you will never dread cleaning one again. We call the fox a red around these parts because there are no red ones here. I do think the gray is a little more tender than the red/fox type but flavor is equal.

Boerrancher
02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
I have noticed that the old grey ones are just as tough as old fox squirrels. June, July, and August are the months to shoot fox squirrels. It is a blast in Aug when they are cutting hickory nuts. I can sit under a hickory tree for hours and shoot squirrels and when I am done have enough for a couple of messes.

Best wishes,

Joe

crappie-hunter
02-15-2012, 08:17 AM
The Bible says do not covet ,but you guys that can hunt squirrel year round have something I wish I had. Pa. has a season on squirrel doesn't start till mid Oct. and runs till sometime in Feb, except during the two week deer season, that starts the monday after thanksgiving. Oh well life isn't always fair.

Reload3006
02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Just asking, for as I said above I was a kid last time I went squirrel hunting.
But will this work on a Fox squirrel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dekMT72WcE&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsear ch_query%3Dhow%2Bto%2Bclean%2Ba%2Bsquerrel%26oq%3D how%2Bto%2Bclean%2Ba%2Bsquerrel%26aq%3Df%26aqi%3D% 26aql%3D%26gs_sm%3D12%26gs_upl%3D5109l42023l0l4568 3l33l32l8l15l23l0l681l2322l0.3.5.5-1l9l0&has_verified=1
Fly:drinks:

Yep that will work on a Fox or as we call em Red squirrels. Very good video on how to clean squirrel. its some times easier with two people someone to hold it while you get the skin started and then help you pull the hide off. But if your by yourself thats the way its done. (the way I was taught to do it anyway)

Reload3006
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
The Bible says do not covet ,but you guys that can hunt squirrel year round have something I wish I had. Pa. has a season on squirrel doesn't start till mid Oct. and runs till sometime in Feb, except during the two week deer season, that starts the monday after thanksgiving. Oh well life isn't always fair.
It closes here Dec. 31 then reopens Memorial Day. your not alone LOL

T-Bird
02-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Fox squirrels and grey squirrels are 2 different species. The fox squirrels are much larger and (in my part of the world) come in some combination of gray, black, red ,white colors. We hunt them in feb after deer season as a bridge to turkey season. I cooked some for my buddies last wed. Flowered and browned them then cooked them slow in the oven in liquid covered for 2 hrs- called braising. 2 guys had never had them before, I made them converts. This is necessary for squirrel this time of year to tenderize. They also may be cooked in a pressure cooker-much faster. If you want to eat them fried, just braise them just shy of falling off the bone, then roll them in egg, flour etc. and deep fry. Eat well T-Bird

midnight
02-22-2012, 12:00 AM
I wasn't able to watch the you tube vidio but I just cut the skin all the way around the middle and pull in opposite directions. Snip off the feet and head, gut it and snip off the ribs. Then cut into 5 pieces ( four legs and back). The most inportant thing is to do it immediatly after killing the squirrel. If they get cold it makes the job much harder.

Bob

Boerrancher
02-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Waiting patiently for Memorial Day weekend, with the mild winter and the amount of resident squirrels this winter we should have a bunch here on the farm in about 3 months.

Best wishes,

Joe

gandydancer
02-22-2012, 01:47 AM
like eating a rat. can't kill grays in washington county maine its against the law. never ate one.

Boerrancher
02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
like eating a rat. can't kill grays in washington county maine its against the law. never ate one.

There is a reason we call them tree rats around here, and after all they are a member of the rodent family just like a rat. With that being said, I have never eaten a rat, but I am telling you it doesn't get much better than a big stew pot full of squirrel and dumplings, and a steaming hot pan of corn bread.

Best wishes,

Joe

Reload3006
02-22-2012, 11:20 AM
like Roy Rodgers (he never met a man he didnt like) I never met a fried squirrel or Pot of squirrel dumplings I didnt like. Great eating. Like Boer I dont want to eat a rat..

Shooter
02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
like Roy Rodgers (he never met a man he didnt like) I never met a fried squirrel or Pot of squirrel dumplings I didnt like. Great eating. Like Boer I dont want to eat a rat..

That was Will Rodgers.

DIRT Farmer
02-22-2012, 10:44 PM
I can tell you rat ain't bad if you are hungery enough[smilie=1:. People only get picky when there belly is full.
Squirrel is better.

Boerrancher
02-23-2012, 08:12 AM
I can tell you rat ain't bad if you are hungery enough[smilie=1:. People only get picky when there belly is full.
Squirrel is better.

You've got that right. I can think of a few times that I was hungry enough to eat the North end out of a South bound skunk, so I am sure that a big ole fat rat would have looked pretty good about then.

Best wishes,

Joe

Fly
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Yea I guess Rabbits can be thrown in there with rat,s & squirrels also but nothing I like eating
better than rabbits.
Fly

Bob Krack
02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Here in Ohio, we have large grey squirrels and small red squirrels. My first hunt at 11 years old was for squirrel with dad. He always told me that the red squirrels would attack and kill the greys by castrating them.

No matter, grey squirrel or maybe any other sound good to me. I've eaten many many squirrels, cottontails, pheasants, dove, quail, frog legs, and many many fish here in Ohio. Matter of fact, dad got fired from his job nearly every year because rabbit and pheasant (and maybe squirrel) season always started on his birthday - November 15th.

West coast - I prefer mule deer AND an occasional grey squirrel.

Bob

Fly
02-24-2012, 06:33 PM
O my GOD! People really eat the legs of frogs???????(WINK)

Fly

T-Bird
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
If you haven't eaten fresh , harvested from a pond, at night, cleaned and fried bullfrog legs, you haven't had frog legs. Restaurant froglegs are as different from fresh as Swanson frozen fried chicken is from your grandmothers( assuming your grandmother could fry chicken). Eat well ,T-Bird

Bob Krack
02-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Fly and T-Bird.... We musta traveled some of the same roads. BIG bullfrog legs.. terrific.

Bob

Boerrancher
02-25-2012, 11:52 PM
There was many a night when I was a kid that I would be out from sunset til sunrise hitting up every farm pond I could walk to, just to spent the next several hours cleaning frogs so I could have a big mess of frog legs and steak fries. My flashlight and crossman 177 cal air rifle were nightly companions. After the frogs were cleaned I would do my morning chores, sleep for a couple hours and after a meal of frog legs and fried potatoes, I was back out headed to the farthest farm pond to be their at dark so I could work my way back hitting up all the others on my circuit before daylight. Ah those were the days, to be able to go for what seemed forever and never get tired. It is a damn shame we have to grow in to tired, broken down, old men. Why don't one of you smart guys invent a forever young pill?:mrgreen:

Best wishes,

Joe

smoked turkey
02-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I guess someone should start a thread on "froggin" since it is off the original post subject, but since we are on it..I used to take my boys along with my brother-in-law. I can remember when the action was hot and heavy with no time to put em in the sack, that we'd stuff them in our pockets, or wherever we could in order to not miss any. After things died down we'd meet at the sack and unload our pockets and get ready to go again!. Ran into a few snakes along the way and that always made things interesting. I made it hard on myself because I grabbed em rather than use a gig. I had to get close and personal. Good times and good eatin.

Fly
02-26-2012, 12:33 PM
(Quote) I would do my morning chores.Mmmmmmmmmmm I have not heard that since
I was a kid.Maybe that's why alot of kids today are so lazy????Do they know what chores mean?

Fly

Boerrancher
02-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Fly, by the time I was 14 years old I was taking care of 300 head of cows and several horses on two farms, putting up all the hay and doing all the work. Granddad got hurt the winter I turned 14 and I had to do all my work, plus his, and school. By the time I was 17 I had made enough money that I was able to buy one of the farms from my Grandparents. I still live here on that place. Heck I was paying income tax and social security tax when I was 12 years old. I guess that is one of the reasons I am a broken down old man in my early 40's. I had a plan at an early age and though it required hard work, I worked the plan and had I not been wounded in Afghanistan I would still have retired from the army at age 40 instead of 37. I had no intentions of working a real job past age 45, so I worked myself nearly to death on many occasions so I could enjoy life, and family before I got too old. Now I am a 42 year old with a 65 year old's body. Too much shrapnel, metal plates, pins, and screws in the body now. I do see to it that my kids have chores to do and that they learn the value of money by earning it. The wife and I tax them on their chore money and at Christmas the "taxes" are used to help those less fortunate. We make the kids buy toys to donate to toys for tots. Some times the "taxes" are used early if a local family has a house fire and looses everything. We try to teach our children that we are responsible for taking care of our fellow man.

To make my point, my youngest, who is 6, just came up to me and ask what he could do to earn extra money next month so he could get a new video game. He knows his monthly income is not enough money to buy a game, but he has figured out that if he asks for extra chores/work he can earn extra money, and extra money means getting what he wants quicker than by just doing the bare minimum of his chores. I was rewarded by hard work as a lad and it is no different with my kids, both the girls and boys. If my daughters want to get out and help split and load a truck full of wood, after their regular chores are done, they earn extra money. I am an equal opportunity employer, giving each of them a chance to improve their financial status based up on how much they work. Some may think it is not fair to the kids, but those are also probably the same people that have $10K in credit card debt, 2 car payments, and a mortgage they can barely afford. I have a mortgage and that is it, simply because I had to build a bigger house with 5 kids.

Best wishes,

Joe

Newtire
02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Fox or grays don't seem to make much difference in the eating as long as you tenderize them enough. We used to parboil them and then pan fry them. The fox are much bigger. We used to call them "red squirrels" too but not a red squirrel for sure. Squirrel stew is great stuff also. The ones we had in Illinois ate acorns, walnuts and hickory nuts. Real good eating.

rodwha
06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
So what are you guys using for these little critters? Seems the smallest caliber I see is .45.
I've heard of people barking 'em, but what about other critters such as rabbit?

sharps4590
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Boerrancher and a couple guys are using 32's and they're just about the cats meow for squirrels. I have seen a couple 25's in my life and while that sounds so good I don't know if I'd want to actually try one.......yes I would......lol! I use a 36 as do a lot of others. Absolutely no advantage over a 32, I just like it better. A 40 can be good. Personally I think the 40 at the very upper end for smallish game like squirrels and rabbits, but that is solely one mans opinion and applicable only to me. Again, my opinion, but I think head shots are just about mandantory with any of them as they are all quite destructive even with the lightest loads. I never had any success barking squirrels with smaller calibers. For me, 50 cal. was where barking came into its own and you better get to it quick because sometimes it is only stunned and can run off! 54 is even more effective.

My favorite term for squirrels......limb bacon! (and I borrow that from a friend).

Boerrancher
06-15-2012, 08:10 AM
I have hunted squirrels with 45's and 50's from the time I was a kid, and only just this year started using a 32. The 45 and 50 cals work fine for squirrels, you just have to load them light, using a 38 special case as a powder measure. Many times you can recover the ball because it will not shoot through them. My record with the 50 cal was 9 squirrels with one round ball, but you have to shoot them in the ribs. It doesn't mess them up at all. If you shoot them in the head of course you won't get your ball back. If you shoot through them using a 38 spl case for a measure, go to a smaller case or cut it down a bit.

My 32 will destroy a squirrel if you don't hit him in the head or the ribs. I prefer rib shots on the ones running, every once in a while I ruin a leg, when they are running, but it is no worse than with a 22LR when you make a bad shot. I have also noticed that I make fewer bad shots with the 32 than I do with a 22. I have gotten to where I would rather pack the 32 to the woods than any other rifle I own. Of course I don't have a 22 that shoots as good as the 32 so that helps.

Here are some Squirrel hunting photos from the past few days. The first is my pup with her first squirrel.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/Marawsquirrel.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/2squirrels.jpg

Best wishes,

Joe

rodwha
06-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm quite surprised that you are often able to retrieve those large caliber balls!
I guess I had missed them before, but I did see a couple of reasonably priced .32 and .36 call rifles. I thought I hadn't seen anything under .45 on Dixie Gun Works.

rodwha
06-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I wish there was a .36 cal rifle that used cap n ball rounds so that I could justify needing both!

brstevns
06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I have a CVA in 32 cal to hunt squirrels. It is a cap percussion. Once and awhile I see one listed on the Gunbroker Acution site.

Boerrancher
06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm quite surprised that you are often able to retrieve those large caliber balls!

If you load it light enough it will not shoot through them, but it will jerk them about 20 feet in the direction the ball is traveling when it hits. Yes, they do go flying usually up and out. The disadvantage is that you have to watch close to see where they land.

It is the smaller calibers that go blasting through them. If you are shooting through them at 30 less than 30 yards with a 45 or 50 you are loading too much powder.

Best wises,

Joe

sharps4590
06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
rodwha, if you mean the same size ball as the 36 cal. revolvers then you want a 38 cal. rifle. A '51 Navy and a 38 cal. Ohio, Vincent rifle........that would be a dandy pair to pack!!

There are lots of 36's out there. If you can find a Mowery Gun Works in 36 you've got a fine piece. Track of the Wolf usually has one or two 36's of various styles on their web site but they won't be inexpensive. If you can find a TC Seneca in 36, and they made them as I had one, you've got probably the best of the modern era small game rifles ever mass produced. If money isn't an issue then the sky is the limit. I would love to have a Bedford County in 36 cal. and an Ohio, Vincent in 40 cal.

rodwha
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately money is a bit of an issue. I'd find it hard to justify buying a rifle that costs three times as much as a descent 22 for small game/plinking.

rodwha
06-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Boerrancher: Is that about 20 grains for those large caliber balls?
What are your ranges for the large caliber rifles in comparison to the small?
Must admit that the sounds of a squirrel flying once struck almost seems more inviting. Not to mention retrieving the ball!

sharps4590
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
rod, I understand, money is always an issue in our household.

Boer, that does sound interesting.....I just might have to try that!!

Boerrancher
06-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Boerrancher: Is that about 20 grains for those large caliber balls?
What are your ranges for the large caliber rifles in comparison to the small?
Must admit that the sounds of a squirrel flying once struck almost seems more inviting. Not to mention retrieving the ball!

I started out with a 38 special case, and 3FG. I don't know what I eventually ended up with as far as powder charge, I had to cut it down several times to get it to shoot a good group at 30 yards, so I am guessing it was somewhere around 20 grains. A good friend of mine had a 45 cal and a full length 38 case of 3Fg was perfect for it. Brand of powder and gun will have more to do with your load than anything but a 38 spl case is a good place to start and work down from there, until you find a load that shoots well at 30 yds and is really really light.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
06-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Those are neat pics. A nice little .32 makes a perfect squirrel rifle and the Traditions Crockett (I have one) is one of the best. I've been using a .36 flinter the past few years but the Crockett still gets a chance now and then.

Boerrancher
06-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Those are neat pics. A nice little .32 makes a perfect squirrel rifle and the Traditions Crockett (I have one) is one of the best. I've been using a .36 flinter the past few years but the Crockett still gets a chance now and then.

I would love to have a 32 cal flinter to play with. One of these days I will either find one on the fairly cheap or I will build one. I figure since I knapp my own flints for my 50, if I had a couple vent liners and a spare frizen I would have a squirrel rifle that would last me the rest of my life and with my homemade powder, it wouldn't cost me a hardly a dime to shoot.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boerrancher
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
The Squirrels are getting few and far between around here. I seem to have killed them all off on the ridges and this morning only found one lone fox squirrel along the creek. Needless to say he will end up on the grill at some point. It seems like I am having to work harder for fewer squirrels. At least I am getting better at shooting them in the front end when they are running instead of through the middle. I still managed to ruin one front leg but it is better than ruining a back one. The ball entered the neck and exited by the front shoulder. I hunted for another hour but didn't even here another squirrel. I don't know what I am going to do when I run out of squirrels to hunt. If it doesn't rain soon there won't be anything to hunt, even this fall. It has only rained 2x since the first of March, and we have only had a hand full of days below 90 degrees since then, it has been over 100 for the last 3 days and will stay that way 'til God knows when. No rain and high temps mean no Hickory Nuts, or Acorns, which translates to no deer later on. Even my corn is dieing.

Best wishes,

Joe

rodwha
06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
It's been fairly crispy around here too. It's certainly hurt our deer over the last few years.

white eagle
06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
anyone have any good squirrel recipes they would care to share ?
all this talk of hunting is making me want t o give them another go
I quit hunting them years ago because at that time I didn't know how to cook em'
I like the idea of hunting with black powder and would like to try that as well

Boerrancher
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Mr. White Eagle,

One of my favorite ways to cook a squirrel is to toss it on the grill and baste it with a Honey BBQ sauce just like you would chicken. Another way I have found that works well, is to put it on the top rack of the gas grill and a goodly amount of wood chips to provide lots of smoke, and give them a good long slow cook with lots of smoke. Cook them until they are slightly crispy on the outside, and they taste just like bacon.

Also my top favorite way to cook them in the cooler months of the year is a big pot of squirrel and homemade dumplings. Boil the squirrel with 3 or 4 chicken bullion cubes until the meat starts to fall off the bone. Salt and pepper to taste. This may take a couple hours so keep an eye on your water level. De-bone the squirrels and keep the meat out of the broth. Take 1/4 cup of broth and two well beaten eggs in a large bowl and slowly start mixing in flour. Keep adding flour until the batter is so thick that you have to kneed it with your hands. Roll it out on the counter until it is around 1/4 inch thick, and cut it into strips. Add your dumpling strips to the boiling broth and cook for 10 min, and add back in the meat. Remove from the heat and eat up.

Best wishes,

Joe

Tatume
06-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Brunswick stew:

Precook cleaned and quartered squirrels in pressure cooker, very briefly. Separate meat from bones and put it in a Dutch oven on the stovetop. Add diced potatoes and onion, corn and lima beans (canned is good, fresh is better), salt, pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce. Sometimes I like to add tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat, cook awhile. If you need to add water, use the water from the pressure cooker.

P.s., also good for doves.

Junior1942
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
anyone have any good squirrel recipes they would care to share ?
all this talk of hunting is making me want t o give them another go
I quit hunting them years ago because at that time I didn't know how to cook em'
I like the idea of hunting with black powder and would like to try that as wellI love cooked squirrels, and I cook them only two ways: (1) simmered in gravy until the meat almost comes off the bones; and (2) battered like chicken and deep fat fried.

If the squirrel is old. i.e., tough, simmering in gravy is best. If young and fried, pour off most of the oil and make gravy with the leavings. I sit around all summer waiting on fall and cool weather for camping and and campfire squirrel and campfire biscuits sopped in squirrel gravy.

I love squirrel hunting with my 32 caliber Traditions Crockett Rifle. The suggested lower velocity loads, however, would blow a squirrel in two if I missed the head--and disintegrate the head if I hit it. So I lowered the muzzle velocity to ~ 1150 fps or 22LR level. Don't remember the load. I do remember that it made one hole groups @ 25 yards.... The data is somewhere on my web site.

I stopped squirrel hunting with my 32 Crockett Rifle when a bulldog came close to attacking me. Had he charged me, I planned to use my one shot to best effect, then grab the rifle by the barrel and use it as a club. If I hunt with it this year, my Ruger SBH will be at my side.

Junior1942
06-29-2012, 12:05 PM
32 Crockett Rifle hints:

1. The chamber resembles a beer bottle. If you don't use a wire brush and clean the neck, you'll get misfires.

2. I use Hornady .308" round pure lead balls or balls in acww alloy from a Lee .311" 2-hole mold. I can't tell any difference in accuracy.

3. I use Wal-Mart pillow ticking for wads. I cut square wads, and they work just as well as factory round wads. About $3 at Wal-Mart and I have a lifetime supply of wads. Note: Wal-Mart sells or, rather, sold, two thicknesses of pillow ticking. Take a micrometer into the store with you and measure their pillow ticking. You want the one about .315" in thickness. Lube your wads with lard or Crisco.

Tatume
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
I stopped squirrel hunting with my 32 Crockett Rifle when a bulldog came close to attacking me.

Once I was set upon by a pack of dogs while I was out in the woods. I fired one shot from a J-frame revolver, into the ground directly in front of the leader of the pack (a chow). The pack dispersed.

Sometime later my concealed weapons permit came up for renewal. This was before the days of "shall issue." I had to go before a democrat judge, so I told this story. The judge said protecting myself from dog attacks was not sufficient cause to issue a permit. I appealed the ruling, and he reversed himself. He was very unhappy. I was delighted at his discomfort.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
06-29-2012, 12:14 PM
take a micrometer into the store with you and measure their pillow ticking. You want the one about .315" in thickness.

0.015"?

Maven
06-29-2012, 12:15 PM
"Take a micrometer into the store with you and measure their pillow ticking. You want the one about .315" in thickness."

I think Junior meant .015" thickness.

Hanshi
06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Unlike what many have experienced with the .32 (Crockett or others), I've never noticed any particular damage when the shot hit the body behind the front shoulders. The wound was much like a .22LR HP would produce. And I'm referring to my favorite load of 30 grains of 3F and a .311" ball and .018" patch lubed with Hoppes. This load is what my Crockett shoots best.

Good Cheer
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Mom preferred to make squirrel and dumplings.

Rick N Bama
06-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Let me get something straight....you guys Squirrel hunt this time of the year? I shoot the Pecan Theives from my back porch but right now it's closed season on them.

Rick

oneokie
06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Let me get something straight....you guys Squirrel hunt this time of the year? I shoot the Pecan Theives from my back porch but right now it's closed season on them.

Rick

Oklahoma squirrel season runs from 15 May to 31 of Jan. following year.

Rick N Bama
06-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Oklahoma squirrel season runs from 15 May to 31 of Jan. following year.

Dang! Why don't they just call them pests & not have a "season" at all:) And I thought our season was a long one!

Rick

Boerrancher
06-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Here in MO the season runs from Memorial day weekend until the 15th of Feb the following year, with a daily bag limit of 10. With a family of seven I have to squirrel hunt the entire season with a few breaks starting mid Sept through to about mid Dec to put four or five deer in the freezer.

Also I have not noticed anymore damage to squirrels when shot with the 32cal over a 22LR, I just try to shoot them in the ribs or the head. Not the easiest thing to do sometimes when they are on the run, but so far I am averaging about a 5 to 1 hit to miss ratio. Every once in a while I will ruin a leg, but as I said running squirrels can be difficult to hit.

I use the Lee 311 round ball cast out of a 50/50 pure to WW alloy, and pillow ticking cut into small squares. On the first load the patch is lubed with bear grease or mink oil and after that it is spit patches for the rest of the hunt. My load is not tight at all, as I want to be able to start the patched ball with my thumb, and ram it home with the rod. I can reload in 30 to 40 seconds this way, especially if I keep a patch in my mouth ready to go.

Best wishes,

Joe

oneokie
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Dang! Why don't they just call them pests & not have a "season" at all:) And I thought our season was a long one!

Rick

Have to give them time to reproduce.

Rick N Bama
07-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Have to give them time to reproduce.

With Squirrels I don't think that's a problem:)

Tatume
07-01-2012, 07:18 AM
When I was a youngster here in eastern Virginia finding any small game was a big deal, and if someone shot a deer it made the newspaper. The season on turkeys was closed because there weren’t any, and nobody ever saw a bear. I've watched as fisheries resources are managed with a "catch the last one" attitude, and then the managing agency blamed disease or natural influences, which continues to this day. Any resource can be over harvested, and many are.

Boerrancher
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Yesterday morning was my best outing yet. It seems the squirrels are starting to move back in. I got three, which is the most in a single outing this season. The 3 inches of rain Saturday night and 2 inches on Sunday night may have saved the nut crop. The Hickory nuts have exploded in size and the squirrels are starting to work on them. I saw somewhere between 8 and 10 squirrels, missed some shots I shouldn't have, and made a couple I shouldn't have. One of the misses was at 10 feet, and one that I made was a head shot at 40 good steps off hand. I figured it was an iffy shot so I aimed for the head so it would be a clean miss, or a clean kill. After I shot, I didn't see the squirrel fall, so I reloaded and walked to the base of the tree, stopping to pick up one I had shot moments earlier. When I got to the tree there was the squirrel sans the head laying on the ground.

On Tuesday, I had to go up to my mothers place and stay with my grandmother while mom went to town. I sat under the big elm shade tree in the front yard and shot squirrels out of the Hickory trees across the country road. That was probably the easiest squirrels I have ever gotten. Sitting in the shade at the picnic table with a glass of ice tea, and shooting at squirrels when they would get in range. It was 105 degrees F that day, so I would shoot a squirrel go pick it up, go in refill the tea glass and check on grandma, go back out side and start the process all over again. The hardest part of the whole event was standing up, reloading, and walking the 30 yards to pick up the squirrel and back. Let me tell you that was some tough times there. I also forgot carrying that full glass of ice tea back to the picnic table was also pretty rough. I am glad every day is not so hard to endure.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hiwall55
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey Joe ,That sounds like my kind of hunt.The other morning I got 3 with my .32 Crockett on the Islands before running my fish nets.could of got a shot at a black one too,but they are so rare I couldn't shoot the booger.It's the first black I saw this year. been HOT up here too Good luck to you,Bill

sharps4590
07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
It's been so hot and dry here, just down the road from Joe, that I can't make myself head into the squirrel woods. Joe, sure glad you guys got all that rain. Our total since mid-April is 1.1 in....and that's been gone for a looooooong time. Those storms keep dodging us like we have the plague.

DIRT Farmer
07-05-2012, 11:32 PM
And I got excited when I found my first half chewed hickery nut this morning. I almost got the 32 flinter out for a little sighting session, but checked the temp.
Come on August 16. Season opens August 15 but I will be at Montok park fishing with granddaughters the week before. Yeah I will miss opening day for some things. I guess I could go a few days early and try for the squrriel and trout breackfast. I have noticed a lot around the park there in years past. I do know that if the temps hold, standing in the Current river will feel good.

Hubertus
07-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Boerrancher, oh boy you've got some hard times hunting over there.:p
I get the feeling if you can't put up with it any longer I might consider to come over and relief you a bit of this burden...:smile:
It's a pity you couldn't make it to the spring shoot, would have liked to meet you in person.

Nice stories - all of you kinda make me want to go squirrel hunting - believe it or not over here they are endangered and not hunt-able at all. We don't have grey ones though, just red and black.

Hubertus

Boerrancher
07-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Come on August 16. Season opens August 15 but I will be at Montok park fishing with granddaughters the week before. Yeah I will miss opening day for some things. I guess I could go a few days early and try for the squrriel and trout breackfast. I have noticed a lot around the park there in years past. I do know that if the temps hold, standing in the Current river will feel good.

Heck, Montok isn't that far from me at all. If you are interested shoot me a PM and I will give you my phone number. Maybe we can plan a ML squirrel hunt while you are here. If nothing else just get together and maybe shoot a bit. I am about an hour away from Montok. I don't want to take you away from any family time you have, but if a few extra hours are available it would be nice to just visit.

Highwall,

Just so you know, I have never seen a black squirrel. I have seen a couple white ones over the years, and let them go just like you did the black one. There was a time a few years back that there wasn't any fox squirrels, just the little gray ones, and if I was lucky to see one I didn't shoot it either. Since more folks are going back to row crops in the area the last few years I have been seeing more and more of the foxes, and don't hesitate to put them in the pot now. It seems the fox squirrels prefer the edge area between the big timber and the fields, and the grays tend to stay in the big timber.

Hubertus,

If in your travels across the pond, you find you will be in St Louis for a while, let me know and I will gladly get you out here on the farm and put my 32 Crockett in your hands so you can know the challenges and the joy of shooting at a critter less than 20 to 30 cm long and 8 to 12 cm high running through the tree tops. The trick is timing. They always hesitate for a mere second before jumping from one tree to the next.

Sharps4590,

Give me a call, the squirrels are moving back in after the rain. We are suppose to get a break in the heat after this weekend but I don't know how long it will last. I do know I am waiting for 80 degrees or below to get here. My arrowhead hunting buddy won't leave his house if it is above 80, and I need to find some arrowheads. Arrowhead hunting is right there with regular hunting at the top of my favorite things to do list. It is harder and harder to do though because most farmers no longer plow.

Best wishes to all,

Joe

beemer
07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
I started squirrel hunting with a ML in about 1976 with an old CVA kit rifle in .45 cal. It didn't take long to find out that a .38 spcl. case full of powder was all I needed. In the late 70's I built a .40 cal. caplock with a 42'' barrel, it was my first build amd it's a little heavy but it shoots well. I have taken a lot of squirrels and a deer with that rifle.

I don't hunt much anymore but I still had to built a squirrel rifle about three years ago, it's a 32 cal, flinter with a 42" barrel and a cherry stock. It is plain without a butplate or a nose cap. I made what little hardware it has, a steel trigger guard and thimbles.

I remember the last time I went squriell hunting with a ML, the squirrels were acting strange. They were moving but would jump from tree to tree about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. I didn't see one on the ground that evening. I would wait till one was close and I would whistle and it would freeze for a few seconds. All I can figure is that a fox or some other predator was in the area.

I think I learned more and enjoyed myself the most after learning to hunt with a ML. You not only have to learn the game but to manage the rifle.

Dave

Boerrancher
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I think I learned more and enjoyed myself the most after learning to hunt with a ML. You not only have to learn the game but to manage the rifle.

Dave

Dave,

I have learned over the years that there are hunters, shooters, riflemen and then the riflemen hunters. Out of all of the riflemen hunters, it seems the best of the best are the fellas who choose a muzzleloader to pack in the woods. I have noticed that my hunting and shooting skills have improved several times over since I went back to my front stuffers. I was getting lazy and sloppy when I packed a cartridge gun in the woods.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
07-06-2012, 02:15 PM
I guess I'll have to agree with your assessment. I'm a rifleman hunter, then, since nothing goes with me into the woods that does not load from the muzzle. It does make one a better hunter and shooter. Squirrels are the supreme test. [smilie=w:

Hubertus
07-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Joe,

Thank you that is a very kind offer and I hope I can take it one day.
Whenever you are over in Germany let me know, we might be able to arrange something here, too.

The fun part is all the guys here brought me to ml hunting and I find myself wanting to use an old fashioned smokepole over my modern rifles more and more.
I am still to take the first game over here with a muzzle loader but am looking forward to it. Hopefully my new Smoothbore will be here in time to do load development and get to know it before heading out.
If I am not satisfied with my performance I will have to use modern for another year - but hey it's all part of the fun in learning.

Mike