PDA

View Full Version : New to casting and really enjoying it.

youngda9
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
I just started casting a couple months ago after a lot of research. I wanted to thank everyone here for all the answers to questions and excellent info provided on this site.

I purchased a 20lb Lee pot with the bottom pour spout, a lee 6 cavity mold, and an Accurate Mold 3 cavity 431-255V mold. I set up my pot with a PID controller, set to 355C = 671F seems perfect for my casting. I use a hot plate to heat up the mold prior to casting. Once I start casting I stack lead ingots on top of the hot plate to heat it up to just below its melting point. The lead ingots I bought is quite clean and I rarely have to flux. Just the occasional stir and scrape and then scoop out the dross with my dollar store slotted spoon. I usually stack them 4 high. The wrinkles go away after about 3-5 casts.

I cast with a full pot and drop the sprues directly back into the pot. As soon as the pot level drops enough to make room for another ingot I gently drop it in. The temperature of the pot will drop a bit, but I can keep on casting. The PID controller keeps the temperature where it needs to be. This eliminates the wait for the pot to heat back up. I learned this quick...a big time saver.

Using this method I was able to go through 18lb/hour with a 6 cavity 158grain Lee mold yesterday (800 bullets/hour). I cast for 1:45 and cranked out 31.5lb(1400) of bullets yesterday. I'm getting nice frosty bullets.

Bullets gently are dropped into a paint tray that is covered with towels and an old T-shirt. The towels pad the bullet landing and protect the tray from melting...I'm currently using a plastic paint tray soon to be replaced by a metal one. The old T-shirt helps me to pick up the bullets at the end of the casting session all at once if I need to. It also allows me to easily, and softly, transfer the entire batch into a red plastic folgers coffee can with a lid. I use these containers for a lot of things.

I am using Lee push through sizers. I spray a small amount of Hornady Case lube on the bullets prior to sizing to make the process easier. I found this is much easier and less messy then doing 2 lube cycles with the Recluse mixture.

I made up a batch of Recluse 45/45/10 lube. I found that warming the bullets up on a cookie sheet in the oven for a few minutes while I nuke the lube to liquify it helps to coat the bullets best. The lube doesn't harden right away, and get chunky, as it tends to when contacting colder bullets. This allows me to roll the bullets and lube around in a covered plastic tub to coat them all. I then pour them out onto a cool cookie sheet that is covered with aluminum foil to cool and harden the lube. I do the lubing and cooling out in the garage to keep my domestic situation as happy as possible. After a few minutes they are cooled and then transferred into a red plastic can for storage.

The cost savings is why I did this. Plus I love to tinker and am having a great time making my own bullets.

Below is a picture of my setup. The cigar, classic rock on the radio, and Boston Lager all help to enhance the experience of casting in a cold garage.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/574/70104959025062187380.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/70104959025062187380.jpg/)

canyon-ghost
02-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Bullets gently are dropped into a paint tray that is covered with towels and an old T-shirt. The towels pad the bullet landing and protect the tray from melting...I'm currently using a plastic paint tray soon to be replaced by a metal one. The old T-shirt helps me to pick up the bullets at the end of the casting session all at once if I need to. It also allows me to easily, and softly, transfer the entire batch into a red plastic folgers coffee can with a lid. I use these containers a lot of things.

You got that right, we're the guys. No need to get fancy, tee shirts and coffee cans make the best low-cost routine. I've been doing things that way for years.

Good for you!
Ron

williamwaco
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Please tell me you are not drinking beer while casting / reloading ?

youngda9
02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Please tell me you are not drinking beer while casting / reloading ?

I will do no such thing. :groner:

Having a beer over a 2 hour casting session will not make this 250lb man do anything I wouldn't normally do.

waksupi
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
It's not the getting buzzed aspect of drinking and casting. It is the lead oxide from handling the lead you are ingesting. That is how you get lead poisoning. No cigarettes, drinking, or eating until you have washed up.

youngda9
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
It's not the getting buzzed aspect of drinking and casting. It is the lead oxide from handling the lead you are ingesting. That is how you get lead poisoning. No cigarettes, drinking, or eating until you have washed up.
You guys sure do pounce. I do not handle any lead with my bare hands, only a gloved hand. Gloved hand never touches cigar or container that holds drink. No problems with ingestion of lead.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

lbaize3
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
They might pounce, but they do it out of concern for you, not to fuss or bring you down. We enjoy hearing about new casting friends and every last one of us will express concern if we feel the need to. Please don't take it as pouncing. Think of it as older brothers and sisters worrying about your well being...

runfiverun
02-13-2012, 02:06 PM
you do pretty much the same as i do [including the smoking and drinking except mine is soda], i built a steel cover for my pot and just sit the ingots on there while casting,and the mold on there to pre-heat.
the cover has enough room in the front left corner to slide in ingots.

Cherokee
02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Glad you are pleased with the casting hobby. I find it very relaxing (when things go right) and a fun part of the shooting hobby.

williamwaco
02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
We are not picking on you to be mean. We need you. We want to keep you alive, healthy, and interested.

There are few of us and many are arrayed against us.

youngda9
02-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the concern. I truely appreciate it.

Piedmont
02-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Come on guys!! I've sipped many a beer while casting. Just don't have it right next to the pot. How in the heck is lead oxide going to get in the bottle Waksupi? Don't run your hands over the mouth of the bottle and you will be fine.

Ole
02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the addiction! :drinks:

waksupi
02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Come on guys!! I've sipped many a beer while casting. Just don't have it right next to the pot. How in the heck is lead oxide going to get in the bottle Waksupi? Don't run your hands over the mouth of the bottle and you will be fine.

Knock yourself out. That is how people get high lead levels. Do what you want.

Jim
02-14-2012, 01:17 PM
My wife works in the medical field. She reads medical charts on everything from splinters to gunshot wounds to massive cranial trauma to terminal cancer.

I just asked her how lead poisoning can affect a person. "Oh, personality changes incuding depression and fits of rage, nausea, vomiting, intestinal cramps, kidney failure, siezures, dementia, permanent erectile disfunction, inability to reason, sensory and motor nerve damage, all of which are permanent and irreversible...why?"

I told her about this thread. She said "Yeah, anybody handling lead or being around molten lead without taking it seriously is just askin' for trouble, big time. That's why I'm always on you about being careful when you're making your bullets."

I'm almost 60 years old. My blood lead level is indescernable and I'm still in good health. I've always been very anal about good ventilation, using gloves, and not eating, drinking or smoking while I'm handling lead. I learned that right here on this forum from some of the guys that are still here and posted on this very thread.

I think the mentality toward handling lead is akin to that of doing anything that could be hazardous. If done properly with thought, there should be no problems. If done in complacency and carelessness, you'll pay for it.

youngda9
02-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Welcome to the addiction! :drinks:

Thank you Ole ! :drinks:

TNFrank
02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I just love taking old, grungy wheel weights and turnin' em' into beautiful, shinny new bullets. It's kind of the ultimate in recycling. Plus, with ammo costs what they are it'll really help you save a lot on a box of reloads since the bullet is a big part of the cost.
From Firearms to Reloading to Casting Boolits, it's neat to have 3 hobbies that are kind of rolled into one.[smilie=w:

whisler
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM

I get lots of dust on my casting table when i cast; probably from fluxing with sawdust. I'll bet there is a fair amount of lead oxide in that dust. I'm not about to chance having anything I drink from on or near my casting table because it will get that dust on it.

Lead is cumulative and ingestion is the most common route into the body. if I need a drink, I'll go in another room and get a container that has not been around that dust; same with a smoke. I worked in the chemical industry for my whole working life and worked with things every bit as toxic as lead (including Plutonium) and I am still relatively normal because I was and remain VERY careful.

Do as you wish but I prefer to not take unnecessary chances. I like being healthy.

runfiverun
02-15-2012, 01:09 AM
jim you missed insomnia.
i worked with lead oxide for many years making electro-ceramics.
i also had a small casting business during that same time.
my day's and evenings were spent around lead and thier oxides.
i have never been higher than a 6 on a lead test.
wash [your hands and the dusty surfaces, don't sweep] and don't eat the lead.