PDA

View Full Version : Saeco #265 Mold

mktacop
02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I’m still fairly new to casting, but have been making up for lost time by casting a lot of boolits. 

I’ve been casting for my .45ACP pistols and have Lee molds, a 2-cavity 228gr RN, and 2 200gr SWC (a 2-cavity and a 6-cavity). I have been happy with the boolits I’ve been producing, but have had my eye on a Saeco #265 (210gr RNWC) mold since I got started casting. MidwayUSA had a 2-cavity Saeco #265 listed for almost $100 and I had it on my wish list. Over the past several weeks, the price had been slowly going down. They said that it was the only one left in stock and they had it on clearance. I made up my mind that if the price went below $75 before someone else bought it, I would get it. Last Monday, the price went below $75 and I ordered it. The mold arrived Friday.

Friday afternoon, I cast my first boolits with this new mold. Being an iron mold, it is obviously heavier than even my 6-cavity Lee mold, and takes longer to heat up to the proper casting temperature. Once hot enough, the mold casts some VERY nice boolits that practically jump out of the mold. Friday I cast about 85 boolits in half an hour. Sunday I decided to cast some more and in about 1.5 hours of casting managed to cast 280 using this mold. The boolits consistently weigh 213 grains, +/- .3 grains with the alloy I’m using (11 BHN according to my Lee Hardness Tester) and drop out of the mold at .4515

Having only used inexpensive Lee mold previously, I am impressed with how much easier a higher-quality mold casts. My next mold may be a custom mold in Brass from one of the makers listed on this site. I’d really like to find someone who could make this same boolit design in a 4-cavity brass mold so that I could REALLY increase my production rate.

cajun shooter
02-13-2012, 10:59 AM
You will not go wrong by using Tom at Accurate Moulds.
The four cavity brass mould is very heavy and depending on your age and build you may want to consider the the three cavity which you may have two of after learning the process and really have great production numbers.
The best thing to do is spend $20 or so by going to Wally World and buying a single burner hot plate by GE if they have it and make sure it is at least 800 watts.
It will allow you to preheat your moulds while your alloy is coming up to pouring range. You may also use it to help cast with more than one mould at a time. Later David

mktacop
02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
I've looked at the Accurate Molds website, but all the designs have a flat point, due to a limitation of his milling equipment. The Saeco #265 has a point on it, that I'd really like to maintain.

Weight of a 4 cavity brass mold wouldn't be an issue for now, I'm only 44 and in good health/shape. :)

I've looked for a hot plate at several places locally, including Wally World, but nobody has any. I do want to find one for mold pre-heating, but for now I'm still looking.

I also want to get a lubrisizer.....pan lubing works well, but is getting to be a pain.

bobthenailer
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I have about 20 Saeco moulds and they all cast like a dream! Ive also had good luck with Rcbs moulds . I try to stay away from lee moulds if possible ! I currently have only one a custom group buy 358 -180 gr wfn gc . after spending a few hours fine tuning it it now cast just about all good bullets instead of the 50% rejection rate when new .

The Saeco 265 look like it might be a bevel base design ? if so you might have problems with the BB of the bullet filling up with lube unless you have a Star/magnma lube/sizer

mktacop
02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
The Saeco 265 look like it might be a bevel base design ? if so you might have problems with the BB of the bullet filling up with lube unless you have a Star/magnma lube/sizer

It is indeed a BB design. Thanks for the heads-up on potential sizing issues!

Grandpas50AE
02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
mktacop, I found a hot plate at Target here in Waxahachie. It is a 900 watt that works really well, and cost about $30. You might see if there is a Target store in Greenville. The hot plates should be near the electric skillets or there abouts.

mktacop
02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Grandpas50AE, thanks for the info! No Target here in Greenville, but they have one in Rockwall. I'll check there the next time we are over there.

MikeS
02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
I have this same mould, and really like it. Lubing it was a pain before I got a Star lubrisizer, but no problem now. I too wish I had a 4 cavity version of this mould, rather than the 2 cavity one I have currently, and if I ever find a used SAECO I'll try and grab it. Having this boolit design in a brass mould would really be great, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

lbaize3
02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I have the 4 cavity SACO 210 grain 45 acp mold. Have not cast with it yet, but intend to remedy that within the next week or so.

mktacop
02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Have fun with that mold! Mine casts great! If you ever decide to sell it, let me know. ;)