PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RL450 - Powder dropper tube replacement?

dpaultx
02-13-2012, 03:59 AM
I have an old Dillon RL450 that I bought new in about 1984 which spit out thousands of rounds of 45ACP and 223REM over the next 17 years or so. It has set virtually unused ever since untill now as my twenty something son is getting into IPSC and into reloading and I'm limbering up the old Dillon again to run both 45ACP and 40S&W.

At one time or another I must have let some old powder sit too long in the powder dropper and it discolored the clear plastic material of the powder tube. Doesn't hurt the functioning of course, it just sort of bugs me.

I've completely disassembled the dropper but can't get the plastic powder tube to separate from the metal base housing. I think it must be glued into the base as there are no other obvious signs of any mechanical means of attachment.

I feel like a little heat would probably make the tube let go (or worst case the old Dremel tool would certainly do the trick), but Dillon no longer lists parts for the old push-style manual powder dropper. It appears that the powder tube of the newer automatic style dropper for the 550/650 is mechanically attached to its base metal housing with two thumb screws.

It would be no problem for me to drill and tap two holes in the sides of the 450's base housing for the two thumb screws, but I don't know if the actual plastic powder tubes of the old 450 dropper and the newer 550 dropper are the same diameter.

Does anyone know if the old and new tubes are the same size and if they are basically interchangeable?

TIA . . . Doug

LUBEDUDE
02-13-2012, 04:35 AM
I don't know. It sure doesn't make sense for Dillon to re-tool for the tube when other parts interchange.

Maybe Alverez Kelly will chime in to confirm.

C.F.Plinker
02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Have you been able to talk to Dillon about this?

Alvarez Kelly
02-14-2012, 02:12 AM
The new plastic tubes ARE the same size as the old ones. If you ask Dillon how to get the old ones out, they will tell you to "whack it against an immovable object at a steep angle." or something such as that. Yes, I said, whack the plastic hopper against something hard, like a reloading bench...

Dillon will mail you a new plastic hopper free. They "may" ask you to mail them the old one. It depends on who you are talking to and if they know you as a customer I think.

Good luck!

dpaultx
02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info AK, that's good to know that the tubes are still the same size.

It must really take a pretty good "whack" to separate the tube from the base housing as my dropper has already taken a previous "whack" that was hard enough to break the aluminum clamping band at the bottom of the base housing. The plastic powder tube, of course, is still intact.

Maybe Dillon will send me a new metal base as well. [smilie=w:

I'll give 'em a call and see.

Thanks again for the info. . . . Doug

Shiloh
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Have you been able to talk to Dillon about this?

This would be the very first thing I do.
Dillon, as well as RCBS are the gold standard in customer service.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/

Toll Free 800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009 • Fax 480-998-2786 • 7-6 MST, M-F, 8-3 Sat

Shiloh