PDA

View Full Version : 30 yds off hand

Boerrancher
02-13-2012, 12:14 AM
I decided I would see how the Crockett grouped on paper. The balance of this rifle is amazing. I don't think I have ever owned a rifle as well designed for off hand target shooting. After setting up my target I stepped off 35 long steps. I shot two five shot groups with it no swabbing in between shots or between groups. This is after smacking around the reactive squirrel sever times. Here are the groups.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/100_2728.jpg
There are three of them in that one large hole. I still need to move the sight a bit more, but I want to put it on the sand bags just to make sure it is not me pulling slightly to the right.

This next group has the 5th one way to the left. I with the first four in a nice little group, I new before I ever loaded the gun for the fifth shot that I would probably blow it and sure enough when the gun went off it was no where pointed close to where I wanted it to be.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/100_2729-1.jpg

I wish I would have had a bench and sand bags now just so I could see how she really shoots. For reference the red circles are an inch and a half in diameter, about the size of a fox squirrel's head. I was shooting 20 grains of Goex 3FG, and a Hornady .310 dia round ball with a spit patch. I think I am honestly ready to go after some bushy tails.

Best wishes,

Joe

Reg
02-13-2012, 12:19 AM
There might be those who would turn their noses up at a mear 30 yards but would like to see what most of them could do with their woods walking rifle off hand at the same range.
Good enough for squirrel work I would say.

:drinks:

mooman76
02-13-2012, 12:33 AM
My Dixie .32 balances real good. I haven't tried it off hand yet but that is one of the reasons I bought it, the balance.

canyon-ghost
02-13-2012, 01:04 AM
That's pretty good shooting there! I just draw around a quarter with a sharpie and color it in, as a focal point for the sights. Second target shows a really good group. Offhand makes the game a lot harder, there are lots of shooters that can't shoot offhand (and won't learn).

waksupi
02-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Gotta be careful where you shoot like that offhand. I went to a rendezvous over in western Washington some years ago. I was on the practice range, with my English Sporting rifle. Range was about 25-30 yards, and all of the holes were touching. I saw some of the club members gathered up talking about me, and found when I went to register for the main shoot, I was not allowed to shoot for score or prizes, since I wasn't local, so they said. This was a big shoot, and I sure as hell wasn't the only guy from out of town.
I never thought it was necessary to return there again. Rudest bunch of people I ever saw. City people that could only converse by yelling at each other, and some jerk blowing a bugle every morning at day break.
On about the third day I caught him warming up when I was headed for the hooter. I told him if he blew that thing again, I would stuff it up his *** when I came back. Never heard it again the rest of the encampment. I did receive applause, though.

stubshaft
02-13-2012, 03:58 AM
Great shooting Joe. That's virtually the same load I use in my Tennessee Mountain rocklock with purt near the same results.

451 Pete
02-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Nice shooting Joe. It looks like the things are going to start heating up for them squirrels. ( I'm talking about the frying pan too! Ha... )

Take care ... Pete

KCSO
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
I can't complain about their componants. I used a lock and barrel from one of these for a squirrel rifle for the kids and it is such a good shooter i use it myself.

Boerrancher
02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. I like to bench rest shoot, as dad was a state champion mach shooter in the late 60's and 70's, but he was also a hunter. I was 5 years old when I got my first 22LR rifle, though I had already been shooting 223s and 6mms off the bench for a year or more. Once we got the sights lined up from the bench, that was the last time dad would allow it on the sand bags. He told me if I was going to ever be a good hunter and a great shooter I had to be able to shoot off hand.

I wore that little single shot out running lead down the bore, which I still have BTW. A few years later I was given my 1894c Marlin in 357. At the farm here from the early 70's until the mid 90's we had a rifle range, and every weekend the place would be packed with family and friends lined up to shoot. All of my life until about 4 years ago I was always in dad's shadow when it came to shooting. One summer in the 1980's we would sit fist sized rocks on the tops of posts in the fence row that run diagonal to the shooting lane. The closest post was 125 yards the farthest was 250 yards. That one summer every week end I would set up 20 rocks on the posts, and through out the course of a Sunday afternoon he would shoot them off the posts off hand. That one summer he busted 357 fist sized rocks off hand at those various distances before he missed one. I am sure, had old age and the ravages of time not left dad virtually bed ridden for the last 4 years, I would still be living in the shadows of his shooting ability. I only hope that I do as good a job at teaching my children the art of shooting as he did me.

Best wishes,

Joe

DIRT Farmer
02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Joe the change between father and son is hard to take. My father out shot me with a shotgun in the field untill 7 years ago. The first hunt that I shot better, felt strange.

The boys have been kicking my but with a rifle though since my oldest son was 15.

exile
02-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I don't know which I enjoy hearing about more, your shooting skills or your stories. Good for you.

exile

Hanshi
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I've had my Crockett for more than 10 years and in that time it has accounted for squirrels and has consumed lots of powder and lead. IMHO the Crockett is Traditions best kept secret. It is often looked down on by some who feel a custom rifle is the only quality gun you can get. I have custom MLs but my Crockett is not for sale.

You have a very fine small game rifle. 30 yards is on the outside of normal squirrel shots and is a legitimate sight-in range for ANY squirrel rifle. Your shooting is good, but trust me, the rifle is capable of dime size groups at that distance.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0510.jpg

This target was shot at 36yards with a .311" ball & 30grns 3F. Even with a flyer the group still measures only 1-1/16".

Boerrancher
02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Hanshi, that is a nice group. The bottom target I posted measures an inch and a half at its widest point for all 5 shots. I knew on the 5th shot as the gun went off it wasn't right. I wobbled off the target just as I felt the start of the recoil. The other 4 shots are just right at a perfect 3/4 inch square. I can't wait to put it on the bench with sand bags just to see what it can do. It is my hope that come spring I will get good enough with it to repeatedly fill the frying pan and stew pot with those tasty little critters.

Best wishes,

Joe

smoked turkey
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Joe I also enjoyed your post. I have to eat crow when my grandson is here and he wants to shoot some hand thrown trap. I just don't have the knack for thrown targets. He lets me know it too. I am sure that the local squirrels are counting the days until Feb 16 when it will once again be safe in the Missouri woods! Go easy on em and save a few for next season.

Maven
02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Joe & Hanshi, Those are impressive results! Funny isn't it how Traditions barrels shoot so well, especially after reading the commentary on them in general on a few websites. Although I've never seen or handled a Crockett rifle, I'll bet it points and holds like a dream.

Boerrancher
02-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Thank you all again for your kind words. Maven, I can't sing the praises of the Crockett enough when it comes to an off hand shooter. I can't discuss how it will do off the bench as I haven't been there with it yet. I am sure that there are many Muzzleloaders out there that will shoot better off a rest, that cost thousands but they are not designed to be a hunting rifle. I think the Crockett is one of those hidden gems out there that most folks over look. I would highly recommend one to anyone who likes muzzleloaders to give the crockett a try, especially if you are wanting something to hunt varmints and small game, you won't find a much better rifle.

Best wishes,

Joe

williamwaco
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm an old dummy. What is a "Crockett?

I been shooting for 65 years and I couldn't do any better at 30 yards "off hand".

BE Wild Willy
02-14-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm an old dummy. What is a "Crockett?

I been shooting for 65 years and I couldn't do any better at 30 yards "off hand".

It be this...http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=129

HARRYMPOPE
02-15-2012, 12:16 AM
I shot small-bore in Western Wa with guys who also were BP shooters and i can guess who one of them was.And if it was the guy i am thinking of its amazed he never got punched out at a match.

George

Boerrancher
02-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Ric, George, I know exactly what you mean about many of those club type people. The Local club that I do shoot at sometimes, but am not a member of, (can't afford the initial $500 buy in and $120 a year membership) is largely made of of good ole boys from the community in which I live. Most of them are my neighbors, but some of the city folks that show up to shoot at matches are just plain jerks, who show up and look down their noses at "those stupid hicks" all the while those "hicks" from the hill county just keep taking their money. Many of them are just plain rude when they show up and get worse when they lose.

Best wishes,

Joe

williamwaco
02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Nice.

I wish I wasn't so lazy. I would like to try one of those but just don't want to mess with black powder.

Boerrancher
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Nice.

I wish I wasn't so lazy. I would like to try one of those but just don't want to mess with black powder.

It takes 30 seconds to break the gun down. Once I separate the barrel from the stock, I spray some moose milk down the bore and spray the lock. I go to the bathroom sink, fill it with hot water and use a patch jag and patch to pump some hot water through it. When the water comes out of the nipple fairly clear, which is less than a minute. I change patches and do it again for about another 30 seconds, I then run a dry patch through it and spray it down with WD40. I pull the nipple and clean out screw spray more WD40 in the two holes. I then run a couple dry patches through it, wipe it all down with WD40, put the nipple and screw back in, and re assemble. It takes all of about 5 min to clean. Also once you pull the trigger on your first charge of the the real holy black, it will be over. You will be hooked, and then cleaning becomes a labor of love. I have yet to meet anyone who has given black powder a try and not gotten hooked. You may drift away for a while but you will keep coming back. Unless you start with an inline, then you may or may not enjoy it.

Best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I see you use the living space to clean your muzzle loader.In the winter my unheated shop the patches freeze during a cleaning session.I got kicked out from inside cleaning due to to the black powder smell.For the .32 and .45(my main offhand gun) I have gone to Triple 7 FFF.It is the only BP substitute i use and the wife doesn't complain any more.I lube roundball patches with Hoppes BP Patch and Cleaner during shooting.It takes about 3 or 4 cleaning patches f it at home and its clean.i dont even have to drop it out of the stock.its kind of lazy I know.

George

Boerrancher
02-17-2012, 12:29 AM
There is a few things my wife knows I will not budge on. My guns and related paraphernalia, hunting, and fishing. All of that was going on before we were married, and I sent my first wife packing because she would get mad every year that I would take a weekend and go out of town deer hunting with my father, and would throw a fit any time I went hunting and fishing here on the farm. I put up with it for several years and finally couldn't take it any longer, so I traded up for a slightly older model than the first one with the understanding that I hunt, fish, shoot and collect guns. Heck when the kids are away she joins me shooting and fishing. I know I damn sure don't want her shooting at me with a handgun, because inside of 30 yards she doesn't miss. She doesn't like the smell of my muzzle loaders but she likes them because she thinks they are pretty. Plus we have a 4,000 sq ft home with 5 bathrooms, so I can use the sink of the big one down stairs. I turn on the fan and clean the sink when I am done. No complaints...unless I forget to clean the sink.

Best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
02-17-2012, 02:33 AM
"I had all but given up hope of her ever turning loose of enough money for me to order the Crockett. Yes, she is in charge of the money. "

Sounds like you are the boss of your house. I'd hate to be like the guy who posted the quote above

GRIN

George

Boerrancher
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
George,

She is the boss of the money. If she wasn't the walls of the house would be lined with gun safes and full of guns, and we would be eating nothing but beans and rice if that. I will honestly admit when it comes to a gun I can't say no. The way that it works is this, if I want a gun, after all the bills are paid at the end of the month, the kids have enough clothes, and all the life's little emergencies that crop up from time to time are taken care of she tells me how much cash I can pull out and stuff in the safe. The safe money is my gun and major appliance fund. Since one of our refrigerators went out at the first of the month, my gun money is going for a new one. Yes with 5 kids we have to have 2 refrigerators, or buy food every couple of days. It is by far less expensive to buy in bulk once a month than buy it every couple days. Which in turn means I have more money at the end of the month in the safe to buy guns and supplies with.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boerrancher
02-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Well I increased my load to 30 grains of 3FG. It didn't raised the point of impact by about an inch and a half which needed to be done anyway and it gave me another 20 yards distance on my boy's squirrel target. Now I can consistently knock it down at 50 yards, which gives me more than enough range to hunt those bushy tails this spring. With 20 grains I was loosing a great deal of accuracy past 30 yards. I wanted to be able to easily shoot to the tops of some of the tallest hickory trees around which can exceed 90 feet in a few areas around here, so with a bit of stand off distance you can find yourself shooting 150 feet or more at a squirrel. It is easy to do with the 22 mag, but not so sure how It would be with a 32 cal muzzleloader. Any of you with practical squirrel hunting experience with a 32 cal your thoughts would be welcome.

Best wishes,

Joe

Lonegun1894
02-28-2012, 01:03 AM
First off, I'm sure there are many people here with much more squirrel hunting experience than me, but I have been getting a lot more of it over the past year and a half or so, so trying to catch up. Having said that, my shots have ranged from 10-60yds, with the vast majority of them being in the 20-35yd range. I use 20grs of Goex FFFg, and have mine sighted in half an inch high at 25yds, which puts me within half an inch of POA out to 45yds. Beyond that, I aim slightly high, but dont have to do that often as probably 90%+ of my shots are inside of 35yds. Sounds like you have a good load worked up though with good range capability that should be plenty for squirrel if your hunting conditions are similar to mine.

twotoescharlie
02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
I have been shooting muzzleloders for over 55 years, I too have a crockett that I enjoy shooting, I use black powder only. I have noticed that the small bores (32,36, 40 cal) seems to foul more quickly, I usually run a damp patch (just damp) down the bore after every 4th or 5th shot and this seems to help the problem.

TTC

02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
"I got kicked out from inside cleaning due to to the black powder smell"

I use some Hoppe's #9 to mask the smell. My wife likes the smell of Hoppe's.

Boerrancher
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
I have noticed that the small bores (32,36, 40 cal) seems to foul more quickly, I usually run a damp patch (just damp) down the bore after every 4th or 5th shot and this seems to help the problem.

TTC

I still contend, though I haven't been shooting front stuffers as long as you, that if you are getting enough fouling that you are having to swab every few shots you need to change your load, lube, or both. I have shot my crockett as many as 30 times with out ever swabbing, or having difficulty loading it. 30 times is the most I have ever shot it at one sitting, but with what little fouling came out of it when cleaning it, I have no doubt that I could shoot it over a hundred times with out any fouling issues. Now with my 50 cals I have not been so lucky but I can still get 15 to 20 shots with out swabbing, and when I do swab it is just a spit patch run in and out of the bore followed by a dry one. I don't shoot fancy patch lubes, just spit patches, and I only shoot the real holy black. Tried pyrodex when it first came out and found it was harder to clean up and more corrosive than the real black I was shooting.

Best wishes,

Joe

chief3
02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Boerrancher; I have had the same results as you using the same methods over the last 50 years . I read your post and it sounded like I wrote it.
I guess real spit and real black powder are still the best.

Boerrancher
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Boerrancher; I have had the same results as you using the same methods over the last 50 years . I read your post and it sounded like I wrote it.
I guess real spit and real black powder are still the best.

I will during deer season use bear grease and bees wax mix simply because I don't like to unload the gun every night when I come in from hunting. I use to shoot it and clean it every night but I gave it up when the game warden showed up accusing me of shooting deer after shooting hours. We got a new game warden who is a great guy now but I still don't want to cause concern. In my flinter I have to swab every 5 or 6 shots with the mix. The grease/wax mix works well and didn't foul up my old cap lock like it does my flinter.

Best wishes,

Joe

chief3
02-28-2012, 08:17 PM
You are right about hunting lube, I was thinking about paper punching. I do alot of that. My patch lube for hunting is deer tallow, works great.

HARRYMPOPE
02-28-2012, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=
I guess real spit and real black powder are still the best.[/QUOTE]

My 54 with 70g of FF Goex and spit patched(.014 ticking) .535 roundball goes 30-40(my typical offhand range session) with good accuracy and easy loading.

George

DIRT Farmer
02-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Joe in my 32 flinter, I load 30 grns of fffg, 0.319 ball and a tallow ticking patch either deer or mutton, sometimes thined with olive oil. My standard shotgun lube is olive oil bees wax or tallow, if I have enough. The barrel is a Green mountin and requires swabing after five shots which is not a problem in a mornings hunt if I do my part. The shotgun will shoot for a week on the lube.

Boerrancher
02-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Dirt Farmer, for a squirrel hunt with the 50 cal I would always use spit patches, because I could shoot a bunch and not have to swab. I will most likely do the same with the 32cal unless I find a good lube that will not foul up. That is why I like the spit patch, shoot all day and no fouling. It just doesn't work well for leaving a gun loaded for an extended time like a grease patch does. I don't mind swabbing a barrel during a morning hunt if I have to do so, but I try to find load combos that shoot well and that don't require it.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boerrancher
03-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Well I gave up on my 30 grain charge. Yes, it would reach out there a bit farther, but didn't shoot quite as well, so I cut it back to 20 grains and made the final sight adjustments. Now when I do everything right with 20 grains it will cut bullet holes at 30 yards. I couldn't get the 30 grain charge to shoot under an inch at 30 yards, which would completely miss a squirrel at 40 or 50 yards. I haven't shot the 20 grain charge at 50 yards yet, but at 30 yards it is shooting 3/4 of an inch high, and dead on with the windage. I am fully confident that at least out to 40 yards if I do everything right I should not miss a squirrel.

Anxiously awaiting the end of May,

Joe

Hanshi
03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
It is really difficult to fault the little Crockett. It in no way resembles the real deal but does have lines reminiscent of halfstocked Pa guns of the period. At any rate it is nice looking, easy shooting and accurate little rifle. Definitely out shoots me.:violin: