PDA

View Full Version : A little .357 help please

phonejack
02-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Yesterday I bought a Puma .357 levergun. Before I start shooting cast thru it I want to run some jacketed bullets thru it first. The only ones I have on hand are 158 and 125 winchester hollowpoints. Neither bullet profile will allow feeding all of the way into the chamber. (hangs up on the hollowpoint). Cast 158's will feed fine, but then again I want to start with jacketed. Any suggestions? I am thinking Speers with a more rounded nose.Thanks.

EDK
02-12-2012, 11:12 PM
IF you just want to clean out any burrs in the barrel, single load the J WORD loads you have now...why BUY more of those expensive little guys than you already have. I may have shot some jacketed through the various 357 or 44 lever guns that I have had, but can't remember when. CAST or JACKETED hollow points are notorious for feeding problems of one sort or another in a tubular magazine; lever guns may have their own issues with any type of bullet.

:redneck::cbpour:

Butler Ford
02-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Yesterday I bought a Puma .357 levergun. Before I start shooting cast thru it I want to run some jacketed bullets thru it first. The only ones I have on hand are 158 and 125 winchester hollowpoints. Neither bullet profile will allow feeding all of the way into the chamber. (hangs up on the hollowpoint). Cast 158's will feed fine, but then again I want to start with jacketed. Any suggestions? I am thinking Speers with a more rounded nose.Thanks.

Will be interesting to follow this, I've never had that problem. :?

phonejack
02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Single loading sounds like a good idea to me, Thanks

357shooter
02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
My Rossi 357 works great loading cast only since day 1. No jackets needed. IMHO

Budmen
02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I have had no issues with my 357 puma but then again it has never fired more than one tube of bought bullets and that was just so i could have the cases. I have noticed in stripping the gun there are allot of machine marks and it could be smoothed up a bit I think that would be my first try. some sandpaper emery cloth and a pencil should fix your problem.

Max Brand
02-15-2012, 05:57 AM
I load a lot of .357 with 158 grain fnjsp's and they feed with no issues in my '92 but so do my cast gas checked lswc's. Have you checked the OAL of those hollow points?

Poygan
02-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Recently bought a Rossi 92. Works fine with .38s but needs some jiggling to feed the .357s. I'm trying .358311s nose bumped to allow for safe tube feeding. I've deep seated the .357s with no great success so far. Suspect long seating the .38s and bring up the pressure a bit will be what will work. Not a lot of length difference between the .38s and the .357s at this point. But the accuracy is reasonable so far.

Gray Fox
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
My wife and I recently got a pair of 16" Rossi .357s, both bought the same day from the same dealer. Hers is SS,mine is blued. Mine fed whatever I wanted to right out of the box. Hers is very sensitive to COAL and I have found that as little as .005" makes a difference. I'm pretty sure if I took it apart, which I hate to do with a '92 clone, that if I smoothed the feed area with a dremel with a cratex cone it would eliminate the problem.

These two carbines are much more smooth out of the box that our two .45s were that we got over 10 years ago. The triggers are also much better. The barrels, too seem smoother. The first 100 rounds or so out of each gun I shot about one gas checked boolit for every 10 plain based and had very little leading with stout loads. All boolits were WDWW and 158 grains. Her gun wouldn't chamber the Lee 158 SWC at all, mine had no problems.

I hope this helps some, but as my experience shows, two guns of the same relative vintage have completely different characters and just have to be worked with a bit.

EdS
02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Recently bought a Rossi 92. Works fine with .38s but needs some jiggling to feed the .357s. I'm trying .358311s nose bumped to allow for safe tube feeding. I've deep seated the .357s with no great success so far. Suspect long seating the .38s and bring up the pressure a bit will be what will work. Not a lot of length difference between the .38s and the .357s at this point. But the accuracy is reasonable so far.

I've had similar experience trying to get anything but smooth sided boolits to feed in my .357 carbine when loading in .357 Magnum brass. It doesn't object to semi-wadcutters when loaded in .38 Special brass, only when they are loaded in .357 Magnum brass. I believe that the shorter overall length of the .38 Special loads allows them to "wiggle" around enough to enter the chamber mouth. -Ed

Max Brand
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM

My '92 is just the opposite of yours, it feeds .357's just fine but I have to "jiggle" .38's to get them to feed. I believe on mine the elevator may be just a tad on the low side but I've never been inclined to do anything about it. I may yet tear it down this winter and work it over, if I do I will post the results.

sargenv
02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I think Sierra makes a nice round nosed 170 that would feed just like any other RN should..