PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat

NSP64
02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
In ILL. we cant shoot Bobcats. There was one sitting in front of the house today. In a neighborhood. in a small town.
I had heard they were getting pretty numerous around here.

firefly1957
02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
That is not good they should not be around the house during the day you might talk to your wildlife people about checking into it. A bobcat could be a threat to pets children and even adults if it gets cornered.

starmac
02-13-2012, 12:16 AM
A bobcat would probably attack a small dog or house cat, but will run from any dogs of any size. (normally) A couple of hounds can run a full grown lion, until it gets on a ledge or up a tree far enough that the dogs can't jump high enough to get to it.
Apparently bobcats are not considered fur bearers in Il, or can you trap them, just not hunt them.

DIRT Farmer
02-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Here in Indiana they are considered rare non game. Not so rare from the sign I find.

wgr
02-13-2012, 12:56 AM
the thing that would worry me is seeing him that close to your house in day time. might be sick

SCOTT ARTHUR
02-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Wife & daughter had one cross the road in front of them last week here in Parke co. That makes four I've heard about this winter. I belive they are FINALLY gaining speed as a population here in west central Indiana.

Scott

41 mag fan
02-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Here in Indiana they are considered rare non game. Not so rare from the sign I find.

From what I heard, they had a very short season on them over in the Winslow area this year.
We had one come thru just this past fall....scared the skin right off my wife. She was out on front deck, around 10pm and it let out a screech, in the woodline just 75 ft from her.
2 nights later I heard it, in the same place. Probably the reason the 2 foxes we had in the backyard every evening don't come around anymore. They'd hear me feed the lab and come in within 10 min. Fun to watch and see how sociable foxes are, they'd be out there eating our labs dogfood, all 3 of them would be jumping around playing.
They quit coming around about the same time we heard that bobcat, about mid Oct last yr.

Back when I was a kid in Olney Il, we had a bobcat come thru. I was catfishing at the neighbors pond, laying on a picnic table waiting for the tinkle from the bells to go off, and one let out a screech barely 20yrds from me, in a fence row.
My skin, pants, shirt, boots, and underwear are probably still there. I don't think my feet hit the ground the 1/2mi it was from the pond to our house.
Called my uncle, who was a state trapper for Il, he came over and tracked it down to the back 40 behind our house, we got plaster molds of its tracks from the creek.
Few weeks later it moved on, but not before it devastated the rabbit and quails in the 5 acre pasture beside our home.
That was easily..31-32 yrs ago. A lifetime ago it seems.

firefly1957
02-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I had not thought of it, it is getting around the bobcats mating season IF YOU HAVE STEADY NERVES sit out late at night and listen for their screams some people think it is a women screaming. Back around 1980 I had one scream near the house I was renting in Oakland county Michigan I grabbed the 45 and went out second scream and I knew it was a cat and went back to bed. A few minutes later a very shook up neighbor was knocking on the door with a pistol in his hand he was sure a women was being killed!! I went out with him and listened until we heard it again and he then realized it was an animal not a human. It is kind of neat in a way but it will stand your hair on end to hear one close to you at night.

1911sw45
02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Kentucky let the Bobcat population get out of hand. For a long time they only allowed 400 a year killed. Now its unlimited.

ErikO
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Bobcat furs go for a pretty penny. Just something to think about if you ARE allowed to trap them. Can get $300 for them.

Hrm, may have to see what season they are allowed here in MO. We have some pretty long trapping seasons and tags are not hard to get nor are they expensive.

Ah heck, more info. Just missed the season here.

Time Frame

Missouri's bobcat hunting and trapping season runs Nov. 15 to Jan. 31. There is no daily or possession bag limit. A resident or non-resident permit for small game hunting or trapping is required to hunt or trap bobcats. Resident permits are $10.

Significance

Legal firearms include revolvers, pistols and rifles discharging a single projectile at one time. Air, spring or compressed gas guns and shotguns of 10 gauge or smaller are permissible. Shotguns with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined are allowed. Crossbows and bows are permitted as long as the arrows do not contain explosives, poisons or drugs. Fully automatic firearms are illegal to use.

Considerations

Traps are required to have rubber or smooth jaws and can include a foothold. The name and address of the user must be designated on the trap. In Missouri, wildlife is to be removed or released daily.

Warning

Missouri law requires bobcats or their pelts to be taken to a Conservation Department agent by April 10 for tagging or registration before they can be sold, transferred, tanned or mounted. Tagged bobcats can be sold only to licensed tanners, fur dealers or taxidermists. It is against Missouri law to purchase or sell untagged bobcats.

Read more: Regulations in Missouri for Bobcats | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7571346_regulations-missouri-bobcats.html#ixzz1mH06KKr5

DLCTEX
02-13-2012, 10:44 AM
I have taken two bobcats that weighed 45 and 46 pounds, weighed on the feed store scales. One I saw repeatedly near my present home was also that large and wasn't afraid of me or my vehicle at 10 yards. He stood and acted like he would tear me a new one if I messed with him. I wanted to get him in fur season, but never got the opportunity. Haven't seen him in a few years now.

Reload3006
02-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Bob Cats are normally very shy. I would be very worried about rabies. It is that time of year. Defiantly contact your Conservation agent to get it trapped what ever.

TCFAN
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Last summer it was very dry and hot here in Ozark county. We had several bobcats come to our spring that is located in the corner of our front yard. I shot this one with a Nikon, He came out of the woods and layed down in the yard................Terry

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/Game%20Camera/bobcat.jpg

shdwlkr
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
First no wild animal usually will come around humans if they are healthy. Yes there are exceptions but you need to know the animal to know if they are sick or not.

Now Bobcats as well as many other hunters are moving in where the food is, think coyotes, foxes, bobcats, mountain lions, cougars. This is happening for a few reasons folks are building homes in their territories so they are getting used to be close to people, folks think they are cute, animal rights groups think you can co-exist with a killer, and lastly once they learn that people are easy food sources they change their food hunting sources.
We are even seeing bears in around houses, my sister had one wandering around her place last year and she lives in a village.
Wild animals are losing their fear of humans because of limited hunting and in some places no hunting so why fear a human it is just more meat that is a little harder to get.
Contact your conservation people and tell them what is going on if they do nothing then call your local police force and notify them if threatened by the bobcat you will take appropriate action to protect your self and family.

canyon-ghost
02-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd go to the county courthouse (where hunting licenses are sold) and get the book on seasons. You might want to know which species are a varmint (most are open season) and which are non-game animals. In small towns, animal control means dogcatcher. When response time for authorities is too long, the reduction in rabies and diseases may fall to the conservationist or firearm owner.

Got cougar and bear coming in from New Mexico here. Thing is, we all know it, it's on the news. They take pets and small animals from town, easy hunting.

NSP64
02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
It was sitting on the sidewalk in front of the neighbors house. She has lots of bird feeders in front and usually birds flying around everywhere. It was about 6:10 pm

Longwood
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Is someone talking about me?

ilcop22
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
You can't hunt them in IL, but you sure as hell can shoot them if they're posing an immediate threat to you or another person. Under the IL Wildlife Code, you can also seek authorization to kill an animal that is causing damage to property through the DNR (520 ILCS 5/2.37), but I doubt you'd get that for a "protected" species.

DLCTEX
02-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Is someone talking about me?

No, we were talking bobcat, not lynx. :bigsmyl2:

Hamish
02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
They stocked them! Watch one saunter through the woods and everything shuts up. They kill anything and everything, and will kill for sport, just as any feline will.

Before stocking took place, the quail and rabbit numbers were actually notable around here. Now, not so much. And yes, they do kill up to and including deer.

I understand the rationale of having sustainable populations of animals that are native to the area, but, just like a lot of the implementation nowaday's, IMHO, you give up huntable small game numbers for what?

Longwood
02-13-2012, 09:21 PM
No, we were talking bobcat, not lynx. :bigsmyl2:

I have no tail and my wife calls me Bob.

contender1
02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Ok, my business is dealing with nuisance wildlife. I'm a state certified animal damage control agent. That said, let me offer a few things.
Many states have many different laws about dealing with wildlife. Especially certain species like bobcats. In many places, trapping during trapping season is legal, and is often the best method of controling the population. Other states they are protected & no trapping is allowed. Often, there are states that want to replace lost species by re-introduction. It'll help balance things we humans screwed up. But quite often, these re-introductions are not properly managed. (Think about the wolf program that is causing the demise of a lot of elk & mulies out west.)
A bobcat is normally a nocturnal animal, and quite shy of folks. That's not to say they aren't seen or heard by us, just not as common in many places.
Yes, their screams can mimic a woman, or even a baby.
Yes, they kill small animals (mostly) with the occasional larger animal. Do they destroy another species entirely? NO!!!!!! A piece of land has what is known as "carrying capacity." If there is no food, then there would not be any critters. If left totally alone, we would see populations of animals blossom & then almost disappear until a balance is achieved. What creates a bigger problem to this is the loss of habitat by us humans. I have had customers actually proclaim; "If I had known there were so many animals around, I would not have built this house in the woods." We moved in, they just try to adapt. I live in an area with a large amount of secondary vacation homes. Yet too many city folks do not understand nature as they got their education from Disney.
To advocate the wiping out completely of any species is wrong. Just as it's wrong to allow an overpopulation of any species.
Now, a bobcat out during daylight MIGHT be an issue if it shows other signs of disease. Just an appearance is not an immediate reason for alarm. Breeding, feeding etc all can make a critter modify it's normal habits a bit. Put out bird feeders, and watch what OTHER wildlife comes around. Squirrels, chipmunks, snakes, coons, possums, hawks, owls, bobcats, coyotes, bears, etc all find that free food is easy around them. If someone offered you a free steak meal every day or night, or you had to work hard to get a steak meal, what would you do? The freebie would win.
To deal with animal issues, many states have different programs. Some, have NO program to deal with nuisance wildlife. Some just post regulations about protected species. Others will have limited options where taxpayers can get (free) services. Often the state game departments do NOT handle wildlife nuisance complaints. Their job is to enforce the game laws. In some states, it falls to local counties to deal with wildlife problems.
However, due to budget cuts, understaffed agancies, no money to hire more officers etc, most county agencies limit their "animal control" to domestic animals only. In many states, it's the law too.
So, calling the state to "handle" a problem will often result in little or no action. Calling the county will get similar results.
Any wild animal that is in the act of attacking a human, USUALLY is allowed to be killed under a self defense law. But just because it's on your property, or in your garbage, or you feel threatened because you see it, or SUSPECT it MIGHT hurt a pet or child is NOT grounds to automatically kill something. Especially protected or seriously managed species. Bears, bobcats, mountain lions turkeys, deer etc can all be in this catagory. Quite often a person is cited & taken to court for killing a wild animal without just cause.
In many states, they now have people like myself that are state certified to deal with wildlife. But to prevent the taxes from going up on everybody, we are private businesses. You only pay for the services you use. We as ADC agents, get to charge fees to handle problem wildlife. We are also required to follow the laws of that state. Often a permit is required to capture, handle, transport etc any wildlife not taken by other legal means, such as hunting. Here in NC, a permit is required. NC does not allow us to charge for the permits, but we can charge for our time & work. But, we have to send copies of each permit issued, and a report to go along with it.
Relocation of animals may also be restricted.
Rabies is a big problem in many places, (NC included,) and here, relocation is VERY limited. Most species isn't allowed to be relocated. Yes, we have to put down a lot of animals. But the state also pushes for us to try & figure out ways for people to coexist with the wildlife w/o trapping or killing.
All in all, it's a complex problem due to a simple thing. Loss of habitat, coupled with less controls on many species. It used to be hunting & trapping were common activities for a larger part of our population. Nowadays, we are overpopulating the lands, w/o allowing hunting or trapping. Species will explode where no controls are allowed.
We used to have larger populations of quail, grouse, rabbits etc. But folks kept the coyotes, foxes, & bobcats in check with trapping & hunting. Restrict the "cruel & heartless greedy, money hungry trapper & hunter" to where they can no longer enjoy their hobby, and the predators will expand their population. What follows is the loss of the quail, grouse, rabbits etc.
So, we ALL need to help others realize that hunting AND trapping is GOOD for the eco-system.
So, just to get upset at seeing a bobcat, or thinking they are evil & are destroying the world, or whatever isn't correct. To blame them for the total loss of any other species is also wrong. Blame humans.
When was the last time most of you knew a true trapper? Or are you one who traps now?
Above, the price of $300 for a bobcat is a misleading figure. Fur prices are very subjective. Location of the animal. (northern vs southern, vs western) Size of the animal. Condition of the fur after it was killed, skinned, & dried. Market prices. I have seen as low as $50 for an average bobcat fur to as much as over $1000. All in recent years.
Animal lovers have done a lot to vilify trappers & hunters. They have also done a lot to legally stop a lot of trapping methods. We need to fight the Disney mentality.

So, bobcats aren't evil, total killing machines that are attacking & killing babies, everybodys pets, or even all of the small game. I saw one on my place during deer season. He wandered around my food plot looking for a meal. Normal activity. I also saw a hawk kill & eat a bluejay within 20 ft of my blind. Do we automatically kill hawks? No.
But we do need to allow controls. And do not be surprised if you get very little or no help from state or even county officials.
Get educated & figure out what is a LEGAL control method in your area. If the laws do not allow any controls, then work towards changing the laws.

Hamish
02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't believe anyone has advocated extermination. Population management, yes.

Funny how folks keep pooh-poohing the idea of seeing healthy animals anywhere but in the woods, in the night.

I can see where contender1 is coming from, he's had a few too many FTF with too many hysterical housewives and ignoramus's.

Theres a program about coyotes that showed how they were targeting family pets in neighborhoods in, I believe, a large Arizona city. Predators are even better than prey at conforming to the situation.

I do stand by my statement though, a bobcat *is* an exemplary killing machine.

One of the facinating things about predator "control" I learned during propagation and game management classes was sudies done in Texas on coyote population control.

You can shoot, trap, poison, snare, slingshot, spit, whatever you want, (and Texas did, for decades), and kill a bajillion of them, and not make a whit of difference. Down there, numbers are tied to jackrabbit populations. That alway's facinated me.

palmettosunshine
02-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Ah, but whose yard was it when you built your house.....? Was it THEIR natural habitat or yours?

contender1
02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I do not disagree that a bobcat is an efficient killer. They are.

And yes, I do get a LOT of uneducated types that call me, or try & spout their "wisdom" about wildlife all too often.

Population management is exactly what is needed. I've said it before & I'm sure I'll say it again, (at least once more before the week is out) that we need MORE hunting & trapping in places where people have moved into. These gated communities, posted lands, extended city limits, etc all make sancturarys for critters.

In my area, bears are becoming very common in "communities." Why? See the above paragraph.

You should see some of the looks I get when I advocate MORE hunting & trapping.

How about a side story;
Many years ago, several of us went rabbit hunting in an apple orchard. The owners son was part of our group. The orchard was about 88 acres. When we got back to our trucks, there was a game warden waiting on us. We had parked at the edge of the orchard, near another house. As we all were talking to the warden, out of the house came this woman. SHe started hollaring; "that's them, they've been on my property, shooting & hunting, get them outta here, they are tresspassing" That & more such drivel. The warden told her he was checking us out. She kept on about how we'd been on her property. When I politely (under much restraint,) asked her where her property was, she motioned toward her house & beyond. I then asked her; "How much property do you own?" She replied; "One half an acre!"

I lost it. I stepped forward & said something like this; " Are you just plain stupid? Do you realize how small 1/2 an acre is? Do you realize that we have been on Mr X's property and he owns 88 acres here? He has 176 times the amount of property you have right here!! Do you realize that one half an acre is so small that you can't build a descent barn next to your house? It's people like you that move in here, don't have a clue as to anything about property & try & block off an entire area. Take your anti-hunting disney attitude & stuff it." I said that & much more. All the while the warden, (who knew me quite well & was a friend,) kept trying to calm, me down. He finally got me to quieten down, telling me he'd handle her. He told her to go back to her house that he'd be over there in a few minutes.
Well, we were all legal, well withing our rights and no violations. So he told us to be nice & stay away from her if possible.
Then he went to talk to her & told her that her land was very small compared to the orchard we'd been in. He told her we were totally legal too.
The next several wekends, we made it a policy to hunt the orchard, or just set up & target shoot close by. (after the season closed.) She called the county police once. He told her the same things. We were legal. Eventually she sold or moved or died. We never knew what happened to her.

Now, we were a lot younger than I am now. Now, I would handle things a bit differently, but I'd still get my points across. Unfortunately, we all have people like that where we try & enjoy our legal activities. Now we just have to fight to educate them and hopefully turn them into believers of proper controls, less development, and more hunting & trapping.

Of course, those that disagree and complain,,, well, lets just say I lose NO sleep charging them my (sometimes high) fees.

Hamish
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Ha! Great story. My wife grew up with in a family that hunts and fishes, she shoots with me and will be deer hunting with me, but still has trouble getting past seeing elephants and lions shot, even when I explain that countries with regulated hunting have exploding populations, and those that don't are crashing, just because of emotional attachment.

I cannot fault the semi-militant stance with the biddy, some folks just need a 2x4 betwixt the peepers to get their attention!

Amen to more hunting and trapping, I just wish I were able to run a trap line, you can bet I would find a couple kids to run a line with.

BTW, my little town has a burgeoning cat problem, and boy you ought to see the fur fly when the debate starts between one of the "feeders" with one of the control folks. We have 2 cats and a dog, but, well, you know, we and our neighbors kind of like to watch the wildlife eat at the feeders we put out.

"Of course, those that disagree and complain,,, well, lets just say I lose NO sleep charging them my (sometimes high) fees."

And some folk just don't feel like they got their moneys worth unless they pay through the nose! @(;^]#>:::