PDA

View Full Version : Lube on boolit base

joken
02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can't get the search function to work. I'm curious if I should be cleaning lube off my boolit bases before loading? Thanks, Ken

fryboy
02-12-2012, 07:38 PM
i do , i keep a fresh paper towel on my leg just for such a purpose , of course where i'm at the brutal summer heat makes it about mandatory so the lube doesnt melt and contaminate the primer , if you're going to be shooting them real soon i dont think it would matter as much IMHo

joken
02-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank you sir. I'm new at this and there is a whole lot that I don't know. Ken

williamwaco
02-12-2012, 07:56 PM
We don't want to make it too easy for you here.

I don't.
Haven't for 50+ years.

Differences of opinion. That's what makes horse races.

fryboy
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
lube depending upon what kind usually has some kind of oil in it , as such when captured in the lube groove and seated isnt too problematic , however on the base of the boolit and in long term storage it can and has been known to contaminate powder/primers , i have a friend who likes to tease me about wiping it off ( think he says something like your shoe when you stepped in a a umm landmine out in the back yard erm aka dog run lolz ) it depends upon how you're lubing as well , if using any of the sizers except a star it's not much trouble when you have it in your hand to place it on a paper towel and give it a lil twist to make sure that it's clean
btw amigo ? while i'm not exactly new per say there's still lots that i dont know and any man worth his salt would confess to the same - thankfully there's others whom mite know wht i dont while i mite know something they dont so in sharing everyone benefits ! ( erm you're welcome )

Le Loup Solitaire
02-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Just as a matter of habit I keep a folded paper towel next to the box that I store my sized bullets in and I swipe the bullet base on it just to make sure that it is clean as I put the bullet away. I used a lube made of beeswax and vasoline for a long time and the vasoline is definitely a powder contaminant. Old habits are hard to break. LLS

Calamity Jake
02-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I always wipe my off, it won't contaminate the primer but it can and will the powder depending on the lube type. Lee Alox seems to to be ok and I don't wipe the boolits coated with it.

AndyC
02-12-2012, 09:04 PM
When I still used bevel-based boolits, I got lube on the bases as well - I cleaned them off because I didn't want gunky lube building up in my pistol during a shoot and perhaps causing a jam at some critical stage (eg. IDPA competition or whatever).

Someone suggested cutting a few round wads of thin cardboard and putting them into the sizing die to take up some of the space - worked like a charm.

I eventually made the switch to plain-based and don't have to worry about it any more.

DLCTEX
02-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I think that a disc of styrofoam cut from a takeout tray works well. It forms to the boolit base and helps seal it. It stays in place very well in the H & I die. I hate bevel base boolits for this and other reasons.