PDA

View Full Version : If you were to...What would you pick now?

Blammer
02-12-2012, 07:22 PM
If you were to start all over, knowing what you know now and how you do things, what priming system would you choose?

My current method of priming cases is dead and I need a new method. So any recommendations need to be for products I can get now.

I see hand primers, some Cpress type primers, the ones that use the plastic sleeves with the primers all in a row etc...

I'm looking for one and wonder what is out there and what is good.

Lets hear your choice and pics on what you're talking about usually help me.

I have an RCBS single stage press, that's pretty much it.

blaser.306
02-12-2012, 07:27 PM
For everything that I do not load on my Hornady LNL progressive , I use an older LEE hand tool . It may not be fancy-shmancy but does the job it was made to! The only upgrade that I see in the future is the newest model with the larger ergonomic shaped handle , and since they changed the primer trays so Federal containers are not a pain to use it is even better. Just my 2 cents.Ymmv

Kevin Rohrer
02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I also use the older Lee hand primer, which is the only thing w/ the name "Lee" on it allowed in my house.

winelover
02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
I use to prime exclusively on my RCBS JR but now, I use either the old style Lee hand prime or the beefier RCBS hand primer that is similar to the Lee. I like to feel the primers seating. Recently picked up a Hollywood Turret with only a shotgun priming system, however I don't feel handicapped at all being stuck with the hand priming option.

Winelover

edsmith
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I really like my auto prime II,and if only a few cases my ram prime, real easy to seat the primers and you can feel the primers being seated all the way.

jmorris
02-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Dillon 1050, set it and forget it. Crimped primers, no problem it swages them. High primers because you didn't push forward enough, not if you prime on the down stroke.

For just priming, its a tad on the expensive side.

shooter93
02-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I use the RCBS bench tool DJ but not with the strips but the tubes. It has good feel and is pretty fast. I also have a couple of the hand units but never seem to get the life out of them. The CO-AX is another nice bench tool.

williamwaco
02-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I use the Forster. Have bought three of them since about 1970. Love it. See no reason to try anything else.

r1kk1
02-12-2012, 08:08 PM
I would repurchase the K&M Deluxe Priming Tool and the RCBS hand strip priming tool. If I had to do it again, the RCBS Pro 2000 press utilizing the strip primer concept.

take care,

r1kk1

captaint
02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't trade my Sinclair priming tool for any other. I actually enjoy using it. Is it the fastest or easiest?? Nope. I love it. enjoy Mike

Johnk454
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Dillon 1050, set it and forget it. Crimped primers, no problem it swages them. High primers because you didn't push forward enough, not if you prime on the down stroke.

LOL! Was thinking the same thing. For everything else, I prefer the RCBS APS (plastic strip system).

garym1a2
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I like my lee classic press and classic turrent presses. I just hand place them and prime on the down stroke after sizing. I lost too many with the autoprime and safty prime systems. .the hand prime wore out my tumbs.
The prime system on my loadmaster STINKS.

If I had to do it all over I just would have gotten a 550B!

r1kk1
02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
The 550 is not without sin regarding the priming shuttle bar system. Have to keep it clean. The 650 priming system is way better.

take care,

r1kk1

02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I have two Lee round tray primers, was given a Lee square tray, and recently bought a Lyman ram prime. The Lee's can become tiring and seating Wolf primers can be rather difficult, and the square tray version is a joke. The Lyman runs a bit slower than the Lee's. Of the three, I prefer the Lyman. In fact, I perfer it so much that I bought the extra parts to make switching from one primer size to the other easier and faster. I suspect that the RCBS and Lee ram primers work equally well, I just happened to get a good deal on the Lyman.

stubshaft
02-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Older style Lee hand press for me. I bought a couple extra ones for parts and to heep one for each size of primer.

1hole
02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
My first press was a Lyman Spar-T, included their 'auto-primer feed' device. It worked well and the brass primer feed tubes fed reliably; I liked it then ('65) and like it now for anything but the most precise rifle loading work.

Eventually got two Lee Autoprimes ('88), set up one for large and one for small caps. I've been using them without a problem. But when something doesn't feel right, I stop and find out why rather than continuing to try to jam the primer in and knowing that could break the lever; sometimes there's a sideways cap, sometimes the primer pocket crimp isn't reamed very well, sometimes the pocket needs the attention of a pocket uniformer. Never have I had a problem with the Lee priming tools themselves.

I liked the original Autoprimes so well I eventually got a Lee Autoprime II and a little Lee "Reloader" press for a dedicated repriming system and love it when I do large quanities. But for reasons I can't imagine, the AP IIs didn't capture enough of the market to stay in production. However, if I had it to do over and could only have ONE repriming tool it would be another AP II.

RayinNH
02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
I use the Lee hand primer tool. Any brand hand primer that you like the feel of would be a good choice. You can take it to the TV room or the front porch when the weather is nice.

I prefer to not touch each primer when putting them on the press primer arm therefore I use the hand tool...Ray

Blammer
02-13-2012, 12:12 AM
I use to prime exclusively on my RCBS JR but now, I use either the old style Lee hand prime or the beefier RCBS hand primer that is similar to the Lee. I like to feel the primers seating. Recently picked up a Hollywood Turret with only a shotgun priming system, however I don't feel handicapped at all being stuck with the hand priming option.

Winelover

is that RCBS hand primer the one that uses the auto strips?

Blammer
02-13-2012, 12:14 AM
I would repurchase the K&M Deluxe Priming Tool and the RCBS hand strip priming tool. If I had to do it again, the RCBS Pro 2000 press utilizing the strip primer concept.

take care,

r1kk1

how do those strips hold up? how do you fill them? I presume they are reusable

canyon-ghost
02-13-2012, 12:58 AM
I still like my Ram Prime, RCBS. I like it for the revolvers because there are no high primers. You set it once to seat .004" below case head and it's set, forever! I tightened the set screws on mine over ten years ago, never changed. I use a seperate press and leave it set up.
But, I think there are faster ways than one at a time. There just aren't any more secure than this.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/RCBSRamPrime.jpg

1Shirt
02-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Not fancy, but have been using the lee for years, and intend to keep on using it!
1Shirt!:coffee:

runfiverun
02-13-2012, 01:09 AM
the strips can be refilled with a tool [haven't seen one in a while though]

i use the same thing scott does,the rcbs bench mounted priming system.
had it for, not sure, 20 years anyways.
you can feel the primers seat,it takes regular shell holders,it's simple,easy, rugged,quick, and don't wear out my hands.

Bullet Caster
02-13-2012, 01:13 AM
I personally like to prime on the press. I've developed a "certain" feel when the primer seats but then I've never tried any hand primer tools. I just use what came with the press kit. Lee. BC

hk33ka1
02-13-2012, 03:11 AM
I've been loading a lot of single stage rifle lately and I use the lever prime on Lee presses. I haven't used any of my hand primers in a while.

boltons75
02-13-2012, 03:28 AM
I use the Harvey deprimer to deprime, and the rcbs universal hand priming tool to prime. That way I can spend time with my family while doing these steps, instead of disappearing to my basement for hours.

Sent from my rooted, mikg'd, aggressive freedom'd Evo 4g.

dromia
02-13-2012, 03:29 AM
I swap around priming systems depending on need and inclination.

For hand priming I use the RCBS hand prime unit with tray, for real feel I use an old Lee with the screw in shell holders, I also use a Pope repro for 45.70.

Bench mounted I like the RCBS and the RCBS bench mounted strip loader.

On the press I like the system on the Redding T7 and the excruciatingly simple Wamadet press system.

I also like the Lyman Ram Prime for hard to seat primers although the Wamadet handles these well too.

I like the Forster Co-AX press mounted system too but it is a bit fiddly to set up.

Sorry I couldn't give you a straighter answer.

LUBEDUDE
02-13-2012, 04:40 AM

Amen!

geargnasher
02-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Don't laugh, but if I'm just priming pistol brass and doing a lot of it, I use one of my Lee Pro-1000 presses. You can't beat the speed of the collator and automatic case feeder, and I never get any jams as long as the chute stays full and the powder sprinkler (Ahem, measure, that is!) is off the press.

For all else I use the old Lee hand primer, Safety Prime attachment for the turret presses, or if all else fails the old RCBS Ram Prime. If I could have only one specific tool for priming, it would still be the old Lee Autoprime.

Gear

winelover
02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
is that RCBS hand primer the one that uses the auto strips?

It uses a round tray like the Lee Hand primer and accepts RCBS std. press shellholders. (Part #90200) RCBS also makes one with a square tray that uses the universal shellholder from the APS tool and it's about $20 more. (Part # 90201) Have no experience with this one.

Winelover

Dan Cash
02-13-2012, 09:06 AM
After years of fooling with the cheap junk that worked well for a little while then quit/broke in the middle of a job; always just before a match, I bought a Co-Ax/Bonanza tool. It is the cat's meow. If the ammo is not being loaded on a Dillon or my Redding T7, it is primed on the Co-Ax. Fast, non fatiguing and bullet proof durable.

dragonrider
02-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Lee auto prime II

Reload3006
02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I started out in the 70s using a friends lee hand prime .. it was good worked reliably and was reliability inexpensive. When Later I bought my own i got the RCBS because I didn't have to use special shell holders. the problem arose that as the tool got several thousand primers through it naturally it wore out RCBS was great about repairing it and putting it back to pristine condition. but still I thought I would like that new Universal RCBS hand priming tool. I think its ok it is BAD about flipping primers sideways etc a pain in the butt. I also have the RCBS Ram priming tool. The ram priming tool is ok but slow. Lee makes a great priming tool but gets your thumb sore (at least it did mine) and also needs (or used to ) special shell holders. The RCBS is a little more ergonomic I never used the RCBS plastic strip type People I have talked to either love it or hate it. It is what they use on their Progressive loader so if your thinking of going that route it may be something to look in to.
Over all I have been satisfied with my RCBS hand priming tools.

40Super
02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I switched from press priming to a RCBS hand primer about ten years ago.I rather hand prime a 1000 pistol cases ahead of time while sitting on the couch.Then when I load on the LNL I don't have to bother with it.Never used the primer setup on the LNL.

Doc_Stihl
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
RCBS APS Press Primer is the cat's meow.

I can load up 300 primers into strips with the strip tool in a few minutes. The adjustments are very simple to set depth and they're fast.

I like the lee hand primers, but I think the APS press primer is faster, more repeatable and easier in big batches.

Ola
02-13-2012, 03:14 PM
If Dillon is not an option... then it would be a hand priming tool for me. And this is probably the best there is:

www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Priming_Tool_Round.php

Firebricker
02-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I like the RCBS hand prime I have two set up. Mine don't use the strips round tray like a Lee. I would like to try the RCBS with universal shell holder not having to switch shell holders would be a lot faster. My friend swears by the RCBS bench mount priming tool you can get them with regular primer tube or the strips. FB

Sixgun Symphony
02-13-2012, 05:23 PM
I tried the auto primer feed tht came with my Lyman Crusher II kit, I went back to using the Lee hand primer.

BCB
02-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Older style Lee hand press for me. I bought a couple extra ones for parts and to heep one for each size of primer.

I have done the same...

I have one set up for small primers and one set up for large primers...

I did get an RCBS hand priming tool recently though a massive used reloading stuff purchase...

Been using it and it is a bit clumsy, but once I get used to it, it might be an acceptable substitute for the Lee Auto Primes if I run out of extra parts--got pretty many of them though...

BCB

boltons75
02-13-2012, 09:18 PM
I like the RCBS hand prime I have two set up. Mine don't use the strips round tray like a Lee. I would like to try the RCBS with universal shell holder not having to switch shell holders would be a lot faster. My friend swears by the RCBS bench mount priming tool you can get them with regular primer tube or the strips. FB

I have the universal RCBS model, and its great, and the square primer tray is great, easy to flip primers onto.

btroj
02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I really like the Lee hand held priming tool. It just plain works.

Az Rick
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I started hand priming several years ago using an RCBS. I will never go back to priming on a press.

I batch everything, tumble, deprime and size those cases can be stored in that condition if you wish or don't shoot much. I usually prime and store them in airtight containers.

I get a container full of prepped brass and one to put the primed brass into and sit on the couch and prime away, while watching TV. The RCBS unit is effortless and is very consistent in seating depth. You can crank out 500 or so with very little effort.

Best,

Shiloh
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Anything that is not done on the progressive is done with an Original LEE hand primer press.

SHiloh

warf73
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
I've used this RCBS since I started reloading no complaints yet..... well one when I have to change from small to large primers.

scb
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I've used one of these for years. I've tried others but haven't found anything better.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2886&route=C06J030

Doc Highwall
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
The last one that I bought, is the RCBS Press mounted that uses the APS priming strips. I seats the primers just like the RCBS Ram Prime but has the advantage of the primer strips.

You can use the priming strips over and over.

CCI primers can be bought with the priming strips, and cast the same as with out the strips.

engineer401
02-15-2012, 12:40 AM
I've used both he Lee Auto Prime and the bench mounted RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. Both worked very well. I had to switch to the bench unit because of joint pain in my thumb. I would recommend both.

Recluse
02-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Lee auto prime II

Ditto.

Fast, uses regular shell holders, easy to set up and remove, and you never need touch a single primer with your fingers.

:coffee:

milprileb
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I seat all primers full to the bottom of primer pockets. I can feel them bottom out.

Unlike a lot of reloading gear which I made half great choices and had to replace, I did not
do so on priming.

The RCBS bench mounted automatic (with tubes) style has been performing flawlessly since 1975 and recently, I called RCBS for upgrade parts to make it "automatic" and they sent to parts so now I am driving a Mercedes !!

I would recommend the RCBS automatic.

Side note: I have a Co Ax, Rock Chucker, Dillon 450 & 650, Herters super "O" and a Lee Turret press: none of them
are satisfactory for seating primers ... yeah they do it but they do it awkwardly and with the feel and sensitivity of a sledge
hammer. They are slow (RC, Lee and Co AX), they are problematic in Dillons due to feed system fouling by primer residue
and jams in that system. I no longer use my Dillon priming systems: takes too long to clear them and set up again with them.

If speed is a issue, priming is not an area where speed belongs in your criteria. For convenience... yes, that is a area
which a priming tool can increase your efforts in a positive fashion and I think the RCBS automatic does that with no risk and
no downfalls in performance.

Care in reloading.. and seating primers is a big issue here... is important. Costs as much to slam components together as it
does to carefullly assemble components. Results will show care and precision reloading pay off. Hits count in my book.

Last shot: Co Ax priming system. I find it useless. It works but what a *** it is. If anyone really thinks its convenient, I cannot
imagine how they can. You adjust 3 pieces to fit the rims of your brass, lock them down and then hand feed primers one at a time
and press them into cases with a handle that is long in arc and leverage. It is not convenient, it is awkward and its so slow and
just makes priming a chore. I took my entire parts for the Co Ax feeding gizmo and mailed them to Forster and told them to keep them
and don't refund me any money either. If one buys a Co Ax for the priming seating wonderfulness, they are buying a Co Ax for the
least effective option on the press. The Co Ax is a great press but its not great for priming. You are fore warned and fore armed and
you can waste you money as you see fit. I have dropped the facts at your door step: live and learn or avoid the trap.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-17-2012, 03:24 AM
I have the RCBS 9460 Auto Priming Tool. Tube a hundred primers and get to work. I load a couple of the long American and British Express cartridges, and in conjunction with an old US made A4, can make a lot of rounds rather quickly.

Rich

jcwit
02-17-2012, 05:40 AM
I've acquired the old Lee hand primers that use a screw in shell holder and no tray for some of the various calibers that I load all the time. For the others I use a K & M priming tool.

Both of these setup are a one at a time tool, no trays or strips, are they the fasest, No, but its the way I like to do it.

brassrat
02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I haven't set a single primer not using my rcbs hand non-universal tool. I keep a hand spring clamp around when switching it around. Haven't had to disassemble it in a long time.

Iron Mike Golf
02-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Started with the auto prime kit that came with my Lyman T-Mag kit. Then went to an RCBS Ram Prime. It flipped lots of primers me. Now I use the RCBS hand prime. Fast and I do batches while watching movies. I keep a set of shell holders in the tool's box. Changing size/shell holder is not a big deal for me.

GaryN
02-18-2012, 11:47 PM
I also have the 9460 RCBS auto priming tool. I bought it sometime in the late seventies and it has never let me down. It is well made, very fast and you can feel the primer bottom out. I love it. Here is a picture of it.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2886&route=C06J030

1bluehorse
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
I have no issues using the primer systems on my presses. But if I were using just a single stage press for everthing I think an auxillary primer would be an asset.

W.R.Buchanan
02-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Blammer: By now you have figured out that there is about 300 different ways to do this operation. I figured you knew this anyway.

I started with a Lee priming tool in 1970 I used it almost exclusively until I bought a RCBS Universal hand primer recently. It works really well and I like it. About $55 doesn't require separate shell holders as it has a universal chuck, and comes with large and small snoots.

If you had another press you could set up and leave set up I would say one of the 15 different ram prime units could work well. I don't like the RCBS AP System tools as I see no need for the strips when RCBS makes a similar unit with a tray that feeds the tool like the hand prime unit does. Seems redundent to have to load the strips and then prime the cases. I also don't like the units that feed from a tube. I run into this problem with my Dillons, loading the tubes is a pain. I am working on a simple tray to load these tubes which would make the tube fed systems work better but it is a ways off.

There is a variety of bench mounted tools which will prime just about anything too. I see no advantage in any of them. They are just different ways to do the same thing, but they also take up bench space as they must be bolted down, which is a negative..

The thing I like about the new RCBS tool is that it will prime any rifle or pistol case. I assume you are loading mostly .44's and it does them nicely. Also the tool doesn't take up a bunch of space. You just use it and then put it back in the box and put it away. Not tied to your bench in any way, in fact you can sit and watch TV while priming cases in a different room.

Like I said above there is a bunch of ways to do this operation. The RCBS Universal priming tool works as well or better than anything I have seen, and it is affordable, simple, and it doesn't take up any bench space.

I think it is the way to go personally.

Randy

Artful
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
I have not tried a huge number of tools that are now offered. I have used the primer seating system on the RCBS single stage, Lee single - turret - auto, Dillon 300 - 450 - 550

And when it comes down to it I still prefer the Lee Precision Hand tool I have used for years - wore out 3 of them - rebuilt them, still use them, one set up for small and one set up for large. You can sit and watch TV and prime with out looking and just by feel tell if the case is good or not - seldom have issue with upside down primers (never if you pay attention). One of the best things Lee makes.

foxtrotter
02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
I have retired my Hornady hand primer. Worthless piece of trash..