PDA

View Full Version : Brass molds

JLK
02-12-2012, 06:54 PM
I recently was on the group buy for a MiHec H&G 068 clone.
I own an original H&G 4 cavity mold for this bullet as well as the
Lyman and Lee clones.
I have to admit the more I use the MiHec the more and more I prefer it.
Why aren't brass molds more common?
This one runs so well and, although I'm fortunate I've never had the problem,
it would seem the brass material would make corrosion less of a problem.
Any thoughts why more manufacturers don't make them?
Thanks!
JLK

thehouseproduct
02-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Totally agree. I've been using the same mold and it's a joy to use. I want more brass for the future.

captaint
02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I would have to say it's cost. The brass must be more costly. Certainly, it's heavier. We have some mold making experts that produce some really fine aluminum molds too. Their weight makes them really pleasant to cast with, even in 6 cavity. Hard to beat the brass though. enjoy Mike

JeffinNZ
02-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Brass is all the Jim at CBE uses. His moulds are spectacular to use. Love brass.

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Scrap Brass was $1.90/lb last week here in CA. Clean Aluminum was $.45.

That should give you an idea of why the brass moulds are more expensive.

Both materials machine easily so the machine time is not that different, and tooling is the same.

Just a matter of modifying the spindle speeds and feed rates for the different materials.

Randy

geargnasher
02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
In the instances of at least two mould makers I can think of that offer all three common materials, brass is less expensive than steel.

Each material has its advantages and disadvantages, but the only downside to brass is weight and I can easily work around that one with mould rests and an ergonomic casting setup. When you make fewer rejects and don't fight the mould the whole time.

Gear

cajun shooter
02-15-2012, 09:16 AM
PLUS 1 on the posting by Gear. I have been casting since 1970 and only purchased my first moulds in the spring of 2011 made from brass. You can use resting areas and modify the way you cast so that the weight is a no issue thing.