PDA

View Full Version : Chiappa Rhino

singleshot
02-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Gents, I'm intrigued by the new Rhino but have heard negative reports about the trigger. Anybody familiar with this design? Any way to fix the trigger?

Other than the stiff, stacking trigger everything else I've heard has been glowing praise (especially accuracy), but I don't know if I can live with a terrible trigger in a $900 wheelgun.

Help?

bobthenailer
02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Go ahead & buy it ! be the first kid on the block, no town , no i ment county to own one !

williamwaco
02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Never heard of it but I looked it up.

You guys try it and let me know what you think.

It looks like a particularly bad idea to me.

The Ruger Black Hawk is much more pleasant ( less unpleasant) to shoot than the S&W in .44 mag because it rolls up during recoil while the Smith and Wesson kicks straight back. I used to have a Thompson Contender in .44 Mag. I fired it less than a dozen times. It was way worse than the Smith.

That said, that design would be great in a .22 auto for rapid fire. There were several of those models back when. May still be today but I can't find one with Google.

200swc
02-12-2012, 05:08 PM
$900.... Really?

Didn't realize they were that much.

Groo
02-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Groo here
The manufacter has stage #1 &#2 trigger kits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MtGun44
02-14-2012, 02:06 AM
No idea how it works, but severely ugly. May be a wonderful device, I have no idea.

Bill

Ola
02-14-2012, 05:47 AM
I've shot the .357 Mag 6" version and the recoil is milder than any other .357 revolver I've shot. The gun just moves straight back, no flip at all. And the recoil does not hurt the hand, .357's feel like shooting .38's. So, the advertising hype is not all BS.

The accuracy was way better than I expected.

As said before, the trigger is quite strange. First of all the hammer is not a hammer. It's a cocking lever.. In single action it is usable, in DA it is pretty awful.

The biggest problem of Rhino IMO is the flimsy construction. If it was build like Ruger or even S&W, it would be a more suitable for regular, thousands of rounds every year -type of use.
And the additional weight would mean more stability when shooting off hand. I can't even imagine the recoil if the Rhino was as heavy as a GP100...

All and all, it may be ugly, but it is not a bad idea. I would not be surprised to see other "6-o'clock-revolvers" in the future.

David LaPell
02-14-2012, 05:55 AM
For the price I will stick with my Smith & Wessons and Rugers. In .44 Magnum I will get a Bisley if I needed to, but in .357 my 27-2 or a nice 28 will do. I can get them cheaper than that contraption.

Ola
02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Maybe I should point out that Rhino is designed strictly for defensive purposes (means: light weight for carrying + easy to shoot fast..) The ability to stand 10 000's of rounds is not important. Or hitting a siluette target at 200.

singleshot
02-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Maybe I should point out that Rhino is designed strictly for defensive purposes (means: light weight for carrying + easy to shoot fast..) The ability to stand 10 000's of rounds is not important. Or hitting a siluette target at 200.

The interesting part of this is less muzzle rise reduces one major variable and should make the revolver more accurate...

Ola
02-16-2012, 03:50 AM
Yes, the construction is interesting also accuracy-wise. But in Rhino the benefits of the construction are limited. It IS possible to shoot it quite accuratelly (tried it in the siluette range), but the lightness and not so good trigger make it difficult to shoot. If they only made it of steel, with tighter tolerances, better trigger...

...then the price would be right.