PDA

View Full Version : Pyroplex blue in boolit lube ?

FWest
02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I have been collecting some lube ingredients for a bit planning on making some rifle and pistol lube loosely based on Ben's Red formula. I have some left over Pyroplex Blue grease after switching to 35 gallon kegs in my pneumatic grease gun.

Is there any reason it would not work for boolit lube ? Are there any ingredients in grease should be avoided when making lube ?

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915556&contentId=7022499

Hip's Ax
02-12-2012, 05:01 PM
The MSDS shows that it contains Calcium carbonate. That is the "abrasive" in JB bore cleaning compound. I am not a lubrication engineer but I might venture to guess that this "chalk dust" might lead to the grease's claimed benefit in dealing with water contaimination and might soak up the water and preserve the grease??? I am gussing here.

I would not think I would try this as for a few bucks you can get a pound of Lucas Red and Tacky (for example) and make a proven lube that you know will work (such as Ben's Red) that does not contain an "abrasive".

Only my opinion at this moment.

FWest
02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for your opinion.

Wayne Smith
02-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Hazardous decomposition includes H2S - I'm very far from a chemist - what is the possibility of creating sulfuric acid in the barrel??

FWest
02-12-2012, 07:23 PM
No need to find out. Just have a bunch of that grease left over and know it's sticky and slick as heck. I'll keep looking or pick up the tested brand.

Thanks again. FWest

runfiverun
02-12-2012, 10:51 PM
calcium carbonate is a salt like substance, it's water soluble.

geargnasher
02-13-2012, 03:34 AM
I never have been able to get my head wrapped around the concept that metals like calcium and lithium can be made into "soaps" and mixed with oil to become grease. But that's what it is, and it ain't chalk once they make grease out of it. If it were, it would eat up anything it was used to lubricate.

Gear

btroj
02-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Gear is dead on.
Looking at the MSDS tells us what is, or may be, in a product. They don't tell us how it was used, why it is there, or how much is there.
The calcium carbonate may be in such a tiny aout that it isn't relevant to anything. It way also have been used to make a small adjustment to pH at some point in manufacture.

Almost every grease we use contain Ca, Li, or Na. All of these are metals yet we use them in a line all the time. No abrasion. No wear. No fear.

Information is a great thing but we need context at times for it to make sense.

Like Gear said, if it was a potential abrasive why is it in a lubricant? Company won't sell much grease if it tend to lap the parts it lubricates!

Hip's Ax
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Looks like my hip shot answer was dead wrong. Interesting read here.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/909/calcium-sulfonate-thickeners

runfiverun
02-14-2012, 01:48 AM
if it does have calcium sulphonate in it [added as the ep part of the grease]
then it would most likely do fine as a lube.
however adding grease to beeswax is not easy as most greases melt in the 350 range and bees wax will combust at this temp.
the best way i have found to add greases is to heat the bees wax to a softened state like vaseline consistency.
warm the grease in the microwave to smushy, smushier than normal. just get it heated through.
now add it to the beeswax and blend together thoroughly till the wax starts to stiffen up.
let it cool.
then warm it again in the wave and blend it again this is when you add the modifiers like lanolin etc..

geargnasher
02-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Very interesting. I did some calculations on bearing speed factor of a rifle boolit at 2500 fps (shaft speed in RPM X race diameter in mm) and came up with a factor of almost 46 million. That's about 40 times the highest speed rating of any of the base oils listed in any grease I was able to find.

Gear