PDA

View Full Version : Buying Linotype mixed with zinc.

foxtrapper
02-12-2012, 01:34 PM
I read here that someone's melt was contaminated with zinc. He felt the culprit was the Linotype he added had zinc in it. I have a few hundred pounds of pure lead bricks and flashing. I would like to buy linotype to add to the lead to harden it up , how concerned should I be with contamination? Thanks

runfiverun
02-12-2012, 01:55 PM
you shouldn't be, unless you are getting it from an unknown source.
if i added zinc to ww's i could make it be as hard as linotype.
some printing plates amd such were made from zinc an unknowing/caring person could throw it all together and not know or care.
also sometimes higher antimony low tin alloys give off a black bubbly foam that many mistake for zinc,when what it is truly just a case of needing to learn how to flux.

quilbilly
02-12-2012, 02:06 PM
If you can't find linotype, hit the garage sales and gun shows for cheap partial bags of hardened shotgun pellets (I usually look for 4's and 6's). Those shotgun pellets have the antimony and arsenic necessary to harden pure lead. I have been alloying my pure with pellets 60/40 respectively for great accuracy but recently decided the go down to 70/30 to get better terminal performance in rifle hunting boolits. Of course, I do add a little tin for better pouring. Yesterday, for instance, I picked up a 15# partial bag of #6's at a local gun show for $10. That will make for about 42# of prime boolit lead.

uscra112
02-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Never heard of zinc being used in any of the Linotype family at any time for any reason.

Only if your "Lino" source smelted in some metal that wasn't type metal could you get zinc. Could happen. Unscrupulous individuals have been known to sell contaminated metal at gun shows. Been victimized myself on one occasion.

Buy Lino that's still in the form of type sticks and blocks and you'll be sure that it ain't contaminated.

Phil

Iron Mike Golf
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
...Only if your "Lino" source smelted in some metal that wasn't type metal could you get zinc. Could happen....

I have a bunch of monotype, still as individual letter blocks. I frequently come across bits of type made of zinc.

stubshaft
02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
I must have alot of older mono and lino because I've never come across any zinc in my type metal.

pls1911
02-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Type metal won't contain zinc.

Should you have some alloy with a little zinc, you can get it down a lot by cleaning and fluxing with sulfer.... garden dusting sulfer is flne
WARNING: LOCATION SHOULD BE WELL VENTILATED, YOU SHOULD WEAR AN ORGANIC VAPOR MASK AND STIR WITH LONG PADDLE FROM AN UP WIND POSITION.

Iron Mike Golf
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM

I wonder what the bits of type are that won't melt at 675 degrees.

madsenshooter
02-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Should you have some alloy with a little zinc, you can get it down a lot by cleaning and fluxing with sulfer.... garden dusting sulfer is flne
WARNING: LOCATION SHOULD BE WELL VENTILATED, YOU SHOULD WEAR AN ORGANIC VAPOR MASK AND STIR WITH LONG PADDLE FROM AN UP WIND POSITION.

No it shouldn't, it would cause them just as much trouble as it does us. They need exceptional fill out.

fredj338
02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
IMO, never buy lino in ingot form, you have no idea what it is. Buy in tpye form only unless buying from a cert shop like Rotometals.

fredj338
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I have a bunch of monotype, still as individual letter blocks. I frequently come across bits of type made of zinc.

Not sur etha is even possible. Zinc would never fill out the fine details of type.