PDA

View Full Version : Easy Sharps at 200

pls1911
02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I just finished supporting a weekend at the ranch with 102 Boy Scouts and leaders, providing for the big bore shooting activity.
Pedersoli rifles were used, a Sharps Quigley model and a Bodine Remington Rolling block.
Both rifles are 45-70, and have Lee Shaver Soule Sights, refined double set triggers and 34" heavy barrels.
The hanging target was a white 18" square x 3/8" steel plate at 225 yards set against dark green of central Texas cedar hill.
Load was an easy 28 grains of Reliant 2400, half grain daycron hairs under the bullet and a WLR primer, pushing an RCBS 300 grain gas checked bullet, at about 1500 fps.

Notwithstanding the fact that the guns were taller than some of the kids, there were very few misses and nearly 200 rounds shot without a single patch through the bore.
Cleaning at the end of the day consisted of a couple of passes with a bore mop lubed with Ed's Red. There was a little powder residue, but abolutely no sign of leading.
The reaction started at "no way" and ended with "AWSOME!!!"

EDG
02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Well at least a few cedars were killed.

Ed in North Texas
02-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I hope it was warmer where you are than it was this weekend here. I know there are lots of folks who are lots colder than we are, but probably weren't in the high 60s to low 70s for most of the week before someone left the North gate open and all that cold dropped in to visit. Seems like the weather conspires to make it either roasting hot, really cold, or raining (or both) whenever kids have outdoor activities.

Ed

pls1911
02-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Scouts were in tents in the 20's both nights, and we left around noon Sunday in the sleet.
Troops were well prepared and I heard no whining.
Also had a whole hog on the pit Saturday from a Thursday night kill.
Saturday, while the temp hovered in the 50's with a light wind, was very sunny from about 0900 untill 1800.
A good weekend spent shooting, blacksmithing, geocaching, pioneer practices, advancement, and boards.

Finster101
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Well at least a few cedars were killed.

And hopefully a few new members to the "Loyal Order of Siam" inducted ! [smilie=w:

bob208
02-18-2012, 10:09 AM
good job. showing boys how to be boys and have fun..

just think of all the green and p.c. people you ticked off taking that many boys away from their mind numbing games and slow inductration into the liberal way.

TXGunNut
02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Good job, pls1911! All my joy sticks have at least a 16" barrel. :wink:

Leadmelter
02-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Scouting is excellent program for both the fathers and children. Many memorable campouts and adventures. I followed him all the way to Eagle!
Gerry

TXGunNut
02-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Several years back I had the honor of volunteering on the district and pack level when they were suffering from an acute lack of adult leaders. Brought back a lot of memories of my own Scouting career. I can assure you you made some lasting memories last weekend, pls1911. Thank you.