PDA

View Full Version : measuring bbl length

ubetcha
02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
What is the proper way to measure a revolver bbl length according to the manufacture or to the referance to the length of the bbl .Is it measured from the end of the forcing come to the end of the muzzle?.According to the state of WI for the propose of handgun hunting,they measure from the end of the muzzle to the breech face at the firing pin.
Thanks

subsonic
02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
If you live in WI and want to hunt with it, you already have your answer.

Proper is a relative term.

Most factories state the barrel length based on your previously mentioned true "barrel only" length measured from the forcing cone area to the muzzle.

Magnum Research often states barrel length measured from the front of the frame to the muzzle and on the short .44's, I'm not sure how they get 5".

Lloyd Smale
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
magnum research is the ONLY manufacture that does it that way. I chuckled once when i asked them and there service tech said everyone does it wrong and we do it the right way. Sure didnt give me much faith in there service dept ;)

stubshaft
02-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Take a T/C for example. The barrel is measured from the breech face to the end of the muzzle but the useable barrel would be that measurement less the length of the cartridge.

ubetcha
02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
why would the cylinder be considered into the bbl length when it not part of the bbl.My foot is in my shoe but I don't consider my foot a shoe?Not starting a disagreement just stating my thoughts.A rifle or semi auto I can see the chamber considered because it is part of the bbl

220swiftfn
02-16-2012, 11:04 PM
why would the cylinder be considered into the bbl length when it not part of the bbl.My foot is in my shoe but I don't consider my foot a shoe?Not starting a disagreement just stating my thoughts.A rifle or semi auto I can see the chamber considered because it is part of the bbl

For the example that you mentioned (for hunting purposes) you'd have to ask the WI game commissioner why he chose to include the cylinder on revolvers. Some reviewers include the cylinder and call it "the effective barrel length" so that people have a comparison with auto barrels (and some say that a 1911 Govt. has an effective barrel length of 4.2", so it can go either way.)

Dan

Whitworth
02-17-2012, 10:24 AM
magnum research is the ONLY manufacture that does it that way. I chuckled once when i asked them and there service tech said everyone does it wrong and we do it the right way. Sure didnt give me much faith in there service dept ;)

But oddly enough, their Precision Center measures barrels correctly. Very strange.

.5mv^2
02-17-2012, 11:56 PM
I could never understand why barrels on semi autos were measured from the back of the chamber and Revolvers were measured from the forcing cone when the bullet actually sits behind it an inch or two. A 3 inch barreled glock has about the same barrel as a snubbie. I can look at the parts diagrams and see why it is done but gives an advantage to the flat guns.