PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700SPS DG Finger whacking bolt handle!

Four Fingers of Death
02-12-2012, 07:44 AM
The title pretty much says it all.

Even at the range where I am more likely to be able to control it, the bolt handle whacks the daylights out of my index finger which if I relax and don't pay attention, almost touches the bolt knob. Under recoil in this position, it gives me a big hit. It hasn't drawn blood yet, which suprises me, but it is only a matter of time. gets me three times out of five, even when I'm really concentrating on it :(

I saw the Holland Gundmithing accessory tactical bolt handle, it is more like a Model 70 bolt handle than a Badger style tapered tactical bolt handle ( I will probably fit one like that to my 308 SPS Tactical).

Has anyone used the Holland bolt handle?

It is a shame because the 700 Remington has the neatest looking bolt handle around, but my hands are just too big. I had similar problems with my Bisley Blackhawk and 1911A1s. I've lost one finger, I'm pretty protctive of the rest, lol.

I'm off to the range tomorrow, I will try a pair of gloves first.

Nobade
02-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Wow, you are pulling the trigger with your index finger and the bolt handle is hitting it? You must have an interesting method of holding the rifle. My Rem heavy kickers pound the knuckle of my middle finger with the back of the trigger guard. Pistol grip is too tight. But as for the bolt handle, I install a lot of the Holland ones. I really like them, but I don't know if they would help you. They are a lot longer and more swept back compared to the Remington one and would likely hit your finger even worse. I wonder if something that looks more like a M600 handle would work better - swept forward out of the way of your hand?

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=Nobade;1586458]Wow, you are pulling the trigger with your index finger and the bolt handle is hitting it? You must have an interesting method of holding the rifle.QUOTE]

Not really, just big hands. I find the 1911A1 and the Ruger Bisleys all draw blood with full loads. This one hasn't drawn blood yet, but it's only a matter of time. Heres what I mean, I have tried to hold my hands as I would when shouldering the rifle (a bit awkward takign pics with my weak hand at the same time):

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Remington%20Rifles/Remington700SPSDGmeetsknuckle0012.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Remington%20Rifles/Remington700SPSDGmeetsknuckle0032.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Remington%20Rifles/Remington700SPSDGmeetsknuckle003.jpg

I saw a Larry Potterfield YouTube vid today on making a new bolt knob for the Remington. He used a Mauser bolt knob from a trashed bolt. Bears thinking about seeing I have an old Mauser downstairs that is kaput (serious and deep rust pitting under chamber! :( I bought three WW1 Versailles Treaty confiscated rifle real cheap many moons ago, the others were ok, but this one ended up being a parts gun. It is a shame, this one is a Spandau Mauser and you don't see many of them around.

Nobade
02-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Wow, you really do have big hands! One of yours are about two of mine. I wonder if a more open grip stock would help? Something like what Boyd's is making. It'll get your hand back away from the action. Those factory Remington stocks are really tight through the grip area. Or maybe a thumbhole style if you like those. That would surely eliminate this problem.

I don't know if you could get where you want to be with a bolt handle change. If nothing else you'd really have to cut on the bolt handle notch in the stock to make room.

hicard
02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
+1 A thumb hole stock does sound like a solution to this problem.

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2012, 07:44 PM
A thumbhole stock may work, but fitting a thumbhole stock to a 375H&H would be like passing gas in a lift, just not done, lol. Pondoro Taylor, Jack O'Connor and their like would be turning in their graves, HaHa!

I have two Ruger No1s in 338WM, maybe I'd be better off re-barrelling one to 375H&H.

Nobade
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Ever seen those Lazzeroni thumbhole stocks that McMillan makes? They're certainly not very classic looking but boy do they work well to handle heavy recoil.

But I do hear ya about things that shouldn't be done...

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2012, 11:07 PM
The stock cut out is pretty much perpindicular at the front of the cut and should allow a pretty straight bolt handle, provided it lifts a bit. This should keep it away from my finger. Unfortunately it won't look like a pretty 700 bolt, but I suppose I will have to live with that. I could always run some heavy cloth stick on bandage around the 'target' area of my finger whenever I pick the rifle up, that would be the cheapest and easiest option :D

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2012, 07:32 AM
I love my 700s but after a day at the range with one of the 300 mags or the 8mag my trigger finger is about black and blue. bolt hits it just like it does yours.

Four Fingers of Death
02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
I suppose that it is bearable at the range and I can put a heavy woven ElastoPlast strip on first, out hunting I'm only going to fire one of two shots and will be so excited, I ain't gonna notice a little hurt! HaHa!

Nobade
02-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Today I had to replace a Taylor brand (Made by PTG, sold by Midway) bolt handle with a factory Remington one. That Taylor one might be just what you want. It is completely straight, no sweep at all. A bit longer than factory, with a smooth knob. And it likely would fit in the stock without alteration.

Four Fingers of Death
02-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Today I had to replace a Taylor brand (Made by PTG, sold by Midway) bolt handle with a factory Remington one. That Taylor one might be just what you want. It is completely straight, no sweep at all. A bit longer than factory, with a smooth knob. And it likely would fit in the stock without alteration.

Thanks for that, Midway bluntly refuse to ship anything to Australia, but there are ways and means, and as Larry Potterfield says, 'and thats the way it is!' I'll go check it out.