PDA

View Full Version : Seating depth/OAL

Lead Freak
02-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I just ordered a Ruger convertible .38~.357/9mm and two Lee moulds. I'm confused about the seating depth for the Lee TL358-148WC since it does not have a crimp groove. My Speer manual (No. 10) states that it should be seated flush with the case, but what do I do about crimping. Do I crimp over the top of the boolit? While talking about seating depth or OAL, if you have a 110 gr SWC and a 160 SWC seated with the same OAL, wouldn't you be creating higher pressures with the 160gr? I realize that the heavier boolit would create higher pressures just due it's weight? For all but the wad cutter, is the general rule to maintain a consistent OAL (1.55" for the .38 Spl)?

runfiverun
02-12-2012, 03:02 AM
the sizing of the case creates neck tension.
seat one flush, taper crimp just enough to iron the case mouth nearly flat is enough.
try pulling the boolit.
a longer bullet/boolit will take up more case capacity and is heavier,thats why the powder weight goes down in the load book.
if the boolit is seated out of the case, pressure does goes down,but you still have to get the mass moving.
you can seat long in the 38 case when using it in a 357 gun but you will need to crimp it in heavy loads to keep the boolits from moving under recoil.
i have found when using 38's that the accuracy is better if i load the cases as a 38.

Shiloh
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Not familiar with it.
You are loading two different calibers correct? This would mean two sets of dies. I would think you will have each die set at the correct OAL.
I set the crimp to just close the bell.

My .38 special and .357 mag. are the same dies. The bullet seating die has to be adjusted for each type of boolit, every time I switch. I use a slightly heavier crimp for .357.

Shiloh