PDA

View Full Version : Worth asking for / Blood lead level test....

QuickRick
02-12-2012, 01:36 AM
I do a lot of casting during the Winter and also shoot on an indoor range with less than ideal ventilation. I have wondered if the lead levels in my blood could be elevated because of this. Since I see my primary care doctor every quarter I asked him to add a BLL (blood lead level) test to my regular blood work. I have blood drawn the day prior to my visit with the doc. Then I go over the results with doc during my appointment the next day.... At any rate, for those of you who see a doctor on a regular basis, and especially if you have blood work done anyway, I think it's a worthwhile test. It is covered under most insurance plans. I was pleased when my own test results showed a BLL of 6.2 MCG/DL or about 1/4 the upper recommended level of 25 MCG/DL (micrograms per deciliter). Medical treatment is required for levels above 45 MCG/DL. Give some thought to adding a BLL test to your next blood work. Good results are reassuring and bad results can nip a nasty (but treatable) problem in the bud.

sabrecross03
02-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Good Advice! I get my blood checked every 3 months due to elevated lead levels.

R.M.
02-12-2012, 02:43 PM
My doc checks my blood every 3 months for diabetes, but the lead gets done once a year.

yovinny
02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Good idea, I havent had one done in years, but I only started casting again a year ago.

IIRC, I had a level of 48 back the early 90's when I ran an indoor pistol range as a second job.
That news made my give up the job and casting for years.
I did'nt do the kelation (?) just a vitamin and zinc routine, which had me down in single digits in a few months.

02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Good to monitor. Lead aggravates gout.

bobthenailer
02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I also get my PB blood levels checked when ever i get blood work done for some other reason, and my test allways come back normal levels of PB
Ive been casting for 40 years with most of it being done indoors , with the proper ventlation and saftey precautions. Ive made around 500,000 cast bullets in that time and have been shooting 22 lr at a indoor range in the winter since 1976 with proper ventlation.
In my years of shooting ive only ran into 3 people who got blood posining from PB from shooting at other poorley ventlated indoor ranges and none from casting .
They were all treated with a medicene, and were all cured .

Defcon-One
02-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Casting & Smelting for over 30 years made me wonder about this, too!

About 2 years ago I had mine checked at my local doctors. The results were a BLL of 2 mcg/dL. He said that I was lower than most people that he had ever tested. I guess it pays to wash your hands and drink lots of Orange Juice.

This year I had it done again at a better hospital and it came back at a BLL of 2.4 mcg/dL. I was worried that it was going up until the doctor told me that the older tests could only tell to the nearest whole number (0, 1, 2, 3...) but the new one comes back with a decimal point (2.1, 2.2, 2.3 ...) so I probably didn't go up at all. He also said that they don't even start watching it until 10 mcg/dL or higher.

Good to know and have a baseline, though.

johnho
02-12-2012, 08:56 PM
The first time I had mine checked in Florida I think it was about 18 or so, higher than normal but well under any problems. About a week after that I got a call from local health department with lot of questions that I was reluctant to answer and told them I didn't want to answer them the way they were asking them. After a few more minutes of talking to her I finally told her I was a shooter and casted my own bullets. She gave me a few tips on how to reduce it with eating green vegetables. I also paid more attention to cleaning my hands better and better ventilation and it finally went down a lot. Don't think Big Brother isn't watching.

BTW, all the health department really wanted to know if there was a work related exposure or some other public exposure that they said they needed to know about.

buyobuyo
02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I get mine check every year when I get my physical.

mold maker
03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Mine has been 4 every time it is checked over the last 14 yr. That is low normal for this area. Having it checked is the only way, to avoid problems, or to treat an existing (unknown) problem.
Everybody has a natural background level from the enviroment. What we add to it with bad habbits, is avoidable, but only if you know about it.

captaint
03-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Just got the results of my blood work today. My lead level is down from like 16 to 7. Last check was about a year ago. Glad I'm headed in the right direction. enjoy Mike

fredj338
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
If you are having blood test anyway, it's like another $20-$30, worth it if you are shooting a lot indoors IMO. That is the single worst thing you can do next to placing lead bullets in your mouth. Lead levels will vary a lot w/ your age & diet too. Every person is diff too. Smokers are more suceptable as are those that do not exercise or eat high fat diets.

white eagle
03-01-2012, 10:12 PM
when I had mine checked,by my own design,initially it as a 27 but with proper precautions my level has dropped to a 16 at my last check

captaint
03-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I think the biggest reason my levels are down is not shooting indoors weekly, like I used to. This summer I'll be back indoors weekly again, we'll see what happends... enjoy Mike

Chilly
03-05-2012, 09:28 PM
So what are the reasonable precautions when casting bullet? Obviously washing hands, not picking my nose, not thoughfully biting my pinky finger... What about the smoke from smelting? Is there lead in there? I do that work outside but sometimes the wind shifts and blows it in my face. I'm not into wearing a mask "just in case", but if it matters I will consider it.

max it
04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
cast outdoors only

grullaguy
04-19-2012, 11:12 PM
I always worry about the white powder that comes off the range scrap when sorting and smelting. It is easily transported on the wind or from thermals near the burner. Got a big facefull of it today when topping up the pot.

gofastman
04-21-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm not into wearing a mask "just in case", but if it matters I will consider it.
A quality half-face respirator is quite comfortable.
Use P100 filters.
I wear one just because I have allergies and the smoke from fluxing with wood chips irritates me.

Next time I get blood work done, which is coming up in a few months, imma ask for a BLL test.
I shoot indoors almost exclusively :-?
Thanks for the tip!

wallenba
04-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Mine was done recently. I must be living right 5.5, hardly worth mentioning.

max it
04-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Guys,
There are many threads on Lead Levels in blood, all worth the effort if you have any concern (or even not)
here is one i started elsewhere a couple of years ago that still gains interest:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374547

Max

max it
06-14-2012, 08:23 PM
hi Ya All, I dont know how many have their ears on this thread; my level is up to 20 Mcg/dl.
I have stopped casting and smelting until it goes down. Found out that buying boolits has some advantages; they are sized better, no messy lube to deal with, among some others.
Anyway, my fault on the lead, I was casting in the garage.
More later if anyone responds.

Keep your powder dry!

Max

Defcon-One
06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Hope it goes down quickly. I heard that Orange Juice helps. (The Vitamin C in it I think!) Do what your doc says. At least you caught it while still relatively low!

WHITETAIL
06-17-2012, 12:40 AM
[smilie=w:I just had mine checked and the test came back as good.

06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
my dr. wsait it was a 24hr. urin test for lead, not a blood test. what is up

max it
06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
HI 686 Guy, SawBones says it is blood lead level x 2 Docs and the State of California which has contacted me both times over the years that I have taken the tests.
I routinel do blood tests for the blood pressure and cholosetrol pills I take so once I chanced on asking to include the test for lead. That was three years ago. Since then at 17mcg/dll it has gone up. That's what alarmed us and caused me to stop smelting and casting for a while, I hope.

much obliged

Max

303Guy
06-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I decided to get mine checked and found it to be around near 18 or so. It's the oxides and lead salt dust, I'm sure. I've stopped casting for a while and will only continue once my new and safe system is up and running.

I looked into the toxic effects of lead in the body and it can be insidious and severe - even at below 'toxic' levels! Mine was well into the notifiable level but that's more of a preventative thing.

NZSarge
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Finally found something I really enjoy...and have to worry now. How often do we need to get a test? DARN IT ALL> The Fun Police win again..)

Longwood
06-23-2012, 10:33 PM
In the last three years, I have had numerous X-rays, MRI's and Nuclear medicine tests.
I figure if I had lead poisoning, they would have wiped it out with the REALLY dangerous stuff.

Longwood
06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
my dr. wsait it was a 24hr. urin test for lead, not a blood test. what is up

Did you notice a Phoenix University diploma? :kidding:

Defcon-One
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Did you notice a Phoenix University diploma? :kidding:

Yeah, I bet the guy went to PU! Ha Ha, good one!

Mine was always low thankfully and always a blood test with a needle. I was tested twice in one year then about a year after the second test again. Very little change and that set a good baseline for future testing. (2 - 2.4 - 2.2, so I averaged about 2.2, which is very low.)

I get a good bit of exposure, but I never eat or drink around Lead, I am very careful with the dust and dross (do not breath it) and I do everything outside. I also wash my hand througly after a smelting or casting session and I clean up really well, clothes and all.

I drink a lot of Orange Juice, too! Cause I like it and it is supposed to be a chelating agent.

max it
06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Finally found something I really enjoy...and have to worry now. How often do we need to get a test? DARN IT ALL> The Fun Police win again..)

Keora, get a blood level test which is a needle, from the phlebotomist maybe once. if it is over 10mcg/dl do again in one year. otherwise every two years.
disclaimer: this advice is free, it aint worth a plug nickel. it is my advice though.

keep your powder dry,

max

max it
04-10-2013, 11:36 AM
HI Ya, Finally after a year or so my blood lead level is 15mcg/dl (or what ever the measure is). anyway I have been more diligent to wash after shooting, especially indoors. Also not to eat and drink in the loading room. Oh and I shoot less indoor, and use cast boolits and any lead outdoor only, plated/jacketed indoor. And I have not cast or smelted in all that time; so who knows which one worked. Diet, some have mentioned that I am still on a see food diet :)
Cheers, Max