PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Blue Hill
02-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Hi Folks;

I've not cast bullets before and have been gathering material and equipment to get started. I was reading on this forum about fluxing and took a link to the article "From Ingot To Target". The author was talking about stirring the lead in his pot and said not to use aluminum. I intend to use a hot plate for my heat source and an old aluminum pot was going to be my melting pot. Is this not a good idea and if not, how come?
Thanks for your help. I love your forum.
:?:

454PB
02-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Aluminum has a low melting temperature, which can result in a pot failure and resulting burn danger and a big mess.

That said, I've used an old aluminum pressure cooker pot for smelting over 1000 pounds of alloy. I'm not recommending that for a newbie.

bfuller14
02-11-2012, 11:28 PM
The aluminum melts real easy. Go slow and do not get it too hot.....
I did and it does make a big mess !

Jamesconn
02-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Just buy a 12in Dutch oven and go to the junkyard and find a water heater and use the shell for heat shield and heat it with turkey frier.
For lead just get 1/4 in screen at home depot and screw it into a wooden frame and shovel the dirt from the berm into that and ya got free lead.

Don't fill buckets too full or you'll break something.

runfiverun
02-12-2012, 03:18 AM
and when it decides to go, it just goes.
there's no "hey look a small crack".

stillkickn
02-12-2012, 04:13 AM
For a couple of dollars a stainless steel pot from a thrift store is cheap insurance to avoid a failure. I smelt with the same setup and it works great. Have fun!

Sonnypie
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I kinda doubt a "Hot Plate" is going to give you enough heat to make it worthwhile.
Usually they self destruct trying to reach the high temperatures.

I smelt on the side burner of my outdoor Bar-B-Que (natural gas fired) and it is marginal...

Most use propane turkey fryer burners with huge BTU outputs.

Maybe get yourself a real Lead Melting pot?

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/37727/4b72cc3105044_37727n.jpg

Or:
RCBS (http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Lead-Pot/dp/B004XZGUSE)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b1w3ErcUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And get you the bestest welders or high heat gloves you can. Makes it a lot nicer and safer for you. :idea:

Have Fun!

Bob Krack
02-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Aluminum has a low melting temperature, which can result in a pot failure and resulting burn danger and a big mess.

That said, I've used an old aluminum pressure cooker pot for smelting over 1000 pounds of alloy. I'm not recommending that for a newbie.

Pressure cooker is a slightly different critter. I personally like a stainless steel pot - like in a "stock pot". Not for performance, but for safety.

Aluminum can weaken, cast can crack, but I cannot think of a worrying concern over plain stainless steel pot.

Good luck buddy,

Bob

Blue Hill
02-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Well I went out today and melted lead.
Thanks to you all for your kind advice. I shied away from the aluminum pot for a first go and scrounged up an old enameled pot that I had kicking around. I found that I was able to melt lead with my $20 hot plate, but as the day was about 7 or 8 degrees below freezing with a breeze, my thin metal pot did not hold the heat all that well. As some of you suggested, cast iron is likely the way to go, or at least something with a heavier wall. I was making ingots with a pan for those little mini loaves. Rectangular and bigger than a muffin tin. I liked the result but noticed one thing. For the first loaf I used my dipper and filled the mould with about 4 scoops. Turned out nice. The other two, I poured straight into the mould from my pot and they came out with air bubbles at the bottom. I'm assuming that I poured these too fast. That's the only thing I can see that would be different. Anyway, it was a great afternoon and thanks again to all of you for your words of wisdom and encouragement.
:drinks:

Bob Krack
02-13-2012, 08:17 AM
The other two, I poured straight into the mould from my pot and they came out with air bubbles at the bottom. I'm assuming that I poured these too fast. :drinks:
I suspect that what you are seeing as air bubbles is the minor outgassing from the original containers. Most of those mini loaf tins (and most all muffin tins) are coated with Teflon of a somewhat similar coating. Until it is "burned" off, or deteriorates from usage you will likely get the symptom you describe.

In many hundreds, probably thousands of ingots I have produced, I have seen what you describe except in coated tins and aluminum cans (which are coated with a clear finish to prevent corrosion).

Bob