PDA

View Full Version : Win '73 .32WCF bore diameter

FromTheWoods
02-11-2012, 09:29 PM
The quest continues.

We've been using shot buffer in my son's .32-20--original Winchester 1873 made in 1886. Without it, lead bullets tumble. Jackets are fine. Excellent accuracy. BUT, we'd like to load lead without the buffer.

The bore looked horrible. Worst I've seen. Read about leading here, and asked him if he might like to try brushing his bore with a copper sponge. Amazing! It now has rifling!

He slugged it and came up with .315. Is that a normal diameter for these rifles that are listed to have a .312 bore?

A while back, received advice from "405" that I might take and try Desperado bullets in it. Looks as if .313 is as wide as they go. Will that bump to fit his bore?

I'd appreciate your input on diameter, hardness, and suppliers--and anything else you'd like to toss this way.

.22-10-45
02-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Hello, FromTheWoods..IMO there is nothing "normal" when it comes to 19th century firearm bore sizes! I have read somewhere that the ability of black powder to obturate a soft lead bullet up to groove dia. hid an awful lot of barrel making mistakes! I have an original Win. High Wall built in 1902, with a groove dia. of .379 (some are much larger). The problem is when trying to use smokeless with at least a groove size or .001" larger bullet..the case cannot be chambered.
These guns were designed to use a somewhat undersized soft lead bullet..I think this was so fouling wouldn't jam up the works..and depend on the powder charge to swell it up to groove dia.
If you can't chamber at least a .315 dia. bullet..you might have to ream the necks...so you can..or use black powder.
I have had a charge of fast burning Bullseye expand a revolver bullet..but it was hollow-based.
On second thought..since it is a 73' from the 1880's..it might be best to use soft lead and black powder as it was designed for.

runfiverun
02-12-2012, 05:23 AM
you aren't gonna be turning necks on 32-20 brass.
i'd measure the inside of a neck on a fired case, that should give you an approximation of how big of a boolit you can chamber.
it wasn't so easy to hold tolerances back then, and who knows how many shots have been down the bbl.
i'd order a mold that pours over the 315 size something with a gas check would be on my list too.