PDA

View Full Version : fair price for pewter?

arjacobson
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
My brother dropped off about 17lbs of pewter items he got at an auction today. There is some very nice stuff in the boxes. What would be a fair price for ingots of pewter in the for sale section when I get it cleaned?

Bob Krack
02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Wow..... I would imagine SOME might wonder "is this really pure pewter, and if so, which kind?" "Has the Tin been cooked out? Has someone added (or left) some dregs from the last batch?" "or?"

Believe me, I mean that with absolutely NO insult intended toward you. Just saying.

Bob

arjacobson
02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Bob no insult taken at all! Actually I have listed it in the classifieds. Hope it isn't too high??? I have sold radiator solder in the past for $5.00 lb.. This is listed for $10 lb. It all came from well marked pewter plates-goblets-teapots-etcetc. Some very nice stuff. I have ingotized pewter for a while now and this is one of the better batches I have come across. Check out the photos40777 Look at that beautiful golden hue!! I have to machine a neat little coin type ingot mold one of these days...

imashooter2
02-12-2012, 08:17 PM
My personal limit is $4 a pound and less than $3 is more my speed for scrap pewter. (And it's all scrap to me.) Like linotype or monotype, I'm not very interested in ingots as I want to see what it is I'm buying.

But I'm pretty sure you'll find a market here for your ingots. Pewter is 85% or better tin... I'd ask more than $5 a pound.

KohlerK91
02-12-2012, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=imashooter2;1587425] I'm not very interested in ingots as I want to see what it is I'm buying.

QUOTE]

If you can have they alloy scanned for composition you could ask the premium price.

I have sold sorted "Raw" COWW with the thought in mind that the smelter can see what they are getting, rather than assuming or guesing.

Bob Krack
02-13-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm not very interested in ingots as I want to see what it is I'm buying.

If you can have they alloy scanned for composition you could ask the premium price.

I have sold sorted "Raw" COWW with the thought in mind that the smelter can see what they are getting, rather than assuming or guesing.

I guess this is a lot better saying of what I meant to but was not able to get across.

Thanks,
Bob

captaint
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I'd rather buy it as pewter, not ingots. Looks good though. Quite sure I wouldn't pay 10 bux a pound. Like IS2 said - in raw form, about three bux a pound is OK. I do that all the time. enjoy Mike

imashooter2
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I'd rather buy it as pewter, not ingots. Looks good though. Quite sure I wouldn't pay 10 bux a pound. Like IS2 said - in raw form, about three bux a pound is OK. I do that all the time. enjoy Mike

But that's a scrounger's price. I wouldn't sell my pewter for that, would you?

If someone wants $3 - $4 a pound, they have to go out and find it themselves. If someone wants it put in a box and carried to their door, prices go up.

bumpo628
02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Those look close enough to pure tin ingots to me.
I don't think his asking price is bad - that's what tin is going for right now.

arjacobson
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I have sold a bunch of solder for 5lb. That was 60/40.. This is excellent pewter. If It doesn't sell I can always hold onto it. I will put it in my personal stash...:lol:

captaint
02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Yes IS2 - I would not sell any pewter period. Let alone 3-4 bux a pound. I still consider myself a "collector".

troy_mclure
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
I won't pay more than $5/lb. but that's for plates, cups, etc.. I'll have to smelt. I figure add $3 for saving time!/gas and $8/lb bought in ingots.

arjacobson
02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Thats about what I was thinking too. Not looking to get rich by any means but just looking for a good fair price.. BTW I have a line on 30 more lbs of pewter..lets see if I can get this deal in the works...

a.squibload
02-16-2012, 05:19 AM
In another thread someone suggested researching the gooder-looking pieces,
you might melt down a fancy item worth a lot more than the tin value!

imashooter2
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Pop on to eBay and see how much pewter sells for more than scrap weight prices...