PDA

View Full Version : .32 Wadcutter

richhodg66
02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
While at a gun show this afternoon, I acquired an interesting mold, Lyman # 313492FW is what's on the mold blocks. Looks to be a wadcutter design but doesn't look like it is supposed to be seated flush with the case mouth.

I couldn't find it in the Ol' Buffalo Bullets mold chart. The mold is in excellent shape and I got it for a pretty good price. One of my many projects that I am making way too slow progress on is developing a good load for two .32 H&R mags, a four inch J frame and a very long barreled Single Six. Not looking for top velocity, .32 S&W power levels are fine. I have .38s if I want more power.

Ben
02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Should work just fine.

gunfan
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
While at a gun show this afternoon, I acquired an interesting mold, Lyman # 313492FW is what's on the mold blocks. Looks to be a wadcutter design but doesn't look like it is supposed to be seated flush with the case mouth.

I couldn't find it in the Ol' Buffalo Bullets mold chart. The mold is in excellent shape and I got it for a pretty good price. One of my many projects that I am making way too slow progress on is developing a good load for two .32 H&R mags, a four inch J frame and a very long barreled Single Six. Not looking for top velocity, .32 S&W power levels are fine. I have .38s if I want more power.

Was that .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long? the .32 S&W isn't going to be worth too much in the utilitarian department, unless you are stalking the occasional enraged field mouse or cornered chipmunk.

Pray tell, to which particular cartridge are you referring?

Scott

canyon-ghost
02-12-2012, 10:35 PM
32 H&R Magnum with lead, 1.4 to 1.9 grains of Bullseye with RCBS 32-098-SWC.

32-20 WCF with lead (same mold) 7.2 grains of 2400

32-20 with Lyman 32 caliber 115 grain: 7.3 grains of 2400

Given the added case capacity of the 32-20, a person could always download for 32 mag.

Of these loads, the 1.4 grains of Bullseye will be most accurate (provided you have that powder). My 4" barrelled Nef model R73 and my 10" barrelled contender both liked it for 50 meters and anything under. The Contender did 100 meters with the 1.9 load.

richhodg66
02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
I have long and short brass around as well as H&R, but yes, was referring to .32 Long ballistics.

I'm out of Bullseye, but need to get some more soon, it's just too useful not to have some around.

gunfan
02-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Scott

uscra112
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
3-4 years ago I was shooting a .32 Long Colt in an antique rifle, using a Hornady comm'l swaged wadcutters and 1.5 of Bullseye. That's close to the same cartridge, and it liked that load. Seated it only about .350 deep in the case, so as to get it close to the lands. Seated full depth, the load must be cut back.

BTW long ago my late father-in-law introduced me to a guy who killed deer with the .32 Long. Granted he'd bait 'em in directly under his blind, range about 20 feet straight down, but he did it. Illegal in Michigan, but he was a poor man with a family to feed. My F.i.L. told me that the guy never hunted for trophies, and the law knew it and left him alone. Those were the days . . . .

richhodg66
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Bet that guy was a skilled shot and very good patient and quiet. I have yet to kill one with a handgun, though I've killed many with rifles close enough to do it.

georgewxxx
02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
My records show the 313492 shoots as good or better than the 313445 wad cutter. 2gr of Bullseye works good, but you say your out of that. Try 3.5gr of Unique, that load did well in all the .32S&W long guns I've shot it in except the Undercoverette, it's strictly a belly gun. Seems like most of my loads were made up with shotgun powder of some type.

It's too bad the Colt Long & the S&W Long aren't interchangeable. A few of those old Marlin rifles and some of the older Colt pistola's don't get used simply because of lack of availability of components.

9.3X62AL
02-15-2012, 11:26 PM
I have a Lyman #313492 mould that was among the first boolit moulds I ever bought 30+ years ago. I haven't cast with it for quite some time, but it shot very well in 32 S&W Long from 700-900 FPS. You are correct in saying that the nose is such that it isn't designed to be flush-seated, and IIRC the nose is a bit undersized from the drive bands. I've had the idea to cast some of these for the 7.62 x 38R Nagant, but haven't gotten aroundtuit yet. I'm away from home, and can't do a "tale of the tape" on the mould cavity to confirm the undersized nose info.

I also have a 38/357 WC mould (#358432) of very similar conformation, and I'm pretty sure its nose is a mite smaller than its drive bands and that it isn't flush-seated, either. It's another one that hasn't been warmed up for quite a while.

ETA--Dunno if the drive-band portion of #313492 will fit into a 32 S&W casing without distending the case's internal taper. No issues at all with 32 SWL or the few 32 Mags I loaded and fired with this casting.

richhodg66
02-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Well, I got to cast a few of these up, I did not size them just tumble lubed and loaded them. I charged them with 3 grains of SR 7625 in .32 H&R Mag cases. Gonna head to the range soon and I'll try to get a group or two shot (I usually have to pry that Kit gun from #2 son when we take it out).

I'm liking this little bullet so far. It loads well, I didn't mic one to see what diameter, but it loaded just fine without having to expand the case mouth much. The mold casts well, and I made them of some real soft alloy because it was left in the pot from some .44s I made for my inline muzzle loader. Not quite pure, but pretty close.

Besides the J frame, I have a single six with a very long barrel I'll try this in sometime. If it's accurate, it should be a great small game getter.